Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
We want to finalize our toad purchase and we're researching the hitch/braking system at the same time. (Yep, proactive thinking, or at least trying.)

I believe Monaco pre-wires for the US Gear Unified Braking System. The local hitch installation company said the EvenBrake is a good choice. Can any Monaco owners share their experience with the pre-wired system?

We have a 4000# hitch limit with the 325HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison. We would like to get the Honda CR-V, 2007 or 2008, 2wd or 4wd. The curb weights for the '07s are 3415 and 3532.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We want to finalize our toad purchase and we're researching the hitch/braking system at the same time. (Yep, proactive thinking, or at least trying.)

I believe Monaco pre-wires for the US Gear Unified Braking System. The local hitch installation company said the EvenBrake is a good choice. Can any Monaco owners share their experience with the pre-wired system?

We have a 4000# hitch limit with the 325HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison. We would like to get the Honda CR-V, 2007 or 2008, 2wd or 4wd. The curb weights for the '07s are 3415 and 3532.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Been a busy day for me, Mic..but I will see if I can do some homework for you in the next day or so. You may also check on the CRV ...you may need to stop & run it every so many hundred miles....

I can tell you we did the M&G system on ours. It was also offered for sale in the Parts Dept of our dealership. Of course...we did not know that until Sacs had decided on that system.

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:19 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the reply. I did find a post from Sacs from Dec. 2006 when you were deciding on M&G or Unified by US Gear. And many others.

We're still deciding on the toad, but do like the CR-V. We don't have to make a quick decision. With our LaPalma we do not have air suspension or air brakes which is different from a lot of DP's.

So, here I am, late on a Saturday night searching the Internet highway for braking systems and vehicles we can tow. I'd rather be on a real highway going somewhere, anywhere.

Thanks for any and all advice.
Old 08-26-2007, 01:33 AM   #5

GoneFishin,

You most likely have alred found it but at www.motorhomemagazine.com at the lower left hand corner of this webpage it has the lists (including previous years models) of all vehicles that can be towed A4D and their limitations.

V/R
Jeff aka VaNole
AAL747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
GoneFishin,

A lot of folks like the M&G tow braking system, and it's a good unit. I personally prefer the US Gear system, and was delighted to find that the Monaco coaches are pre-wired for that. I like this system because it works both progressively (like your foot does) and it is applied proportionatly to how hard you hit the motorhome brakes. You can control the sensitivity from the motorhome driver's seat. But best of all, once it's installed there's absolutely nothing to do - no air line to hook up or box to postition - it's always just ready to go.

Here's a link to their web site. I believe that you can save some money on the system because the Monaco is pre-wired. If you're interested, I'd call and ask them about that.

Our choice of toad is the Suzuki Grand Vitara. About the same size and weight as the CRV, but much more leg and head room in the front seat. More info here.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 03:41 PM   #7

Gonefishing - did you decide on a braking system yet. We pick up our DP on Monday, it too is a 2007 34 foot La Palma XL - getting excited. Our toad is a 2005 Suzuki XL7. We had looked at Roadmaster Sterling All Terrain
tow bar 6000 lb with direct proportional brakemaster cylinder. Would appreciate any hints you can throw our way.

2007 Monaco LaPalma XL
2ndwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:07 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
2ndwind,
Congratulations on your new La Palma and welcome to iRV2! I'm excited to know someone else out there has one like ours! We got ours in May and love it.

Be sure to ask the moderators of this fine site to make you a member of the Monaco Owner's Forum. There are many generous people on these boards who try to answer your questions and who also want to hear what you learn and about your travels. Please post often.

Our La Palma has a 4000# hitch limit. We were ready to buy a new CR-V, but the dealer didn't want to give us much for our beautiful 4Runner. Since then we are trying to think outside the norm and consider all our options and possibilities for a toad.

This is our first motorhome, having had TT and 5th wheel in the past. For us, towing is a decision that takes a lot of items into consideration. One choice depends on another choice. We visit our local hitch installation shops, talk with lots of other RVers, and read a lot. There is another forum here on iRV2 on MOTORHOMES / MH - Towing Issues & Toads that has been very helpful.

We have decided to slow down on this decision for now since we will not be full-timers for a few more months. A few weeks ago we were leaning in the direction of the Unified Tow Brake for the auxilary braking system since the coach is wired for it and it fit into our needs. We were looking at RoadMaster for the tow bar and hitch. There are many others here that have more knowledge and experience than we do on this.

Please keep posting your questions, and again, WELCOME!
Old 09-15-2007, 08:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
2ndWind...
I would also like to welcome you to the forum... GoneFishin did such a great job ... that all I can say is make sure you ask to become a member of the Monaco Coach Forum ... it just gives you a fancy name under youor name... but we all "wear it" proudly here!
Again... welcome and feel free to ask anything you want to find out about in regards to your coach!!

Old 09-16-2007, 04:09 PM   #10

Thank you for your warm welcome. My husband and I have been RVing for a number of years. This will be our second motor home. For a couple of years we took a break and tried the 5th wheel route. We had a great experience with our CrossRoads Cruiser but decided after our trip this summer to make it a little easier on ourselves. We attended the Redmond Rally in July but the temperatures were for us extreme. Missed our generator. There were so many beautiful places we would have loved to have been able to pull off for a couple of hours but without power it was difficult. Tomorrow we take possession of our new toy and look forward to our next adventure. Its great to know that we have a sounding board now.

Helen and Arnie
Midland Ontario

2007 Monaco LaPalma XL
Old 09-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #11

I may have missed something. I just thought if we were registered it was automatic. How or who do I ask about becoming a Monaco Member? This all new to us - the internet I mean.

2007 Monaco LaPalma XL
Old 09-16-2007, 04:36 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Don't be afraid of anyone here or the internet. (Well, be a little cautious with the internet.) There are many nice and knowledgeable people who frequent this site who will be willing to help you. Keep asking questions.

At the top of the Monaco Owner's Forum page there are 2 headings in BOLD font. The first is about modifications to coaches and the second is about membership. You can ask there to become a member or you may get lucky and get that magic pixie dust sprinkled on you and just like magic you will have the title listed under your name. (You will feel so special when it happens.)

In your profile area you should be able to add identifying information like your names, city, coach, etc. Whatever you want to share on the internet. You also have the ability to send a private message (PM) to someone. I'd be happy to help with any of it.

There is also a section or thread on the main board for technical issues or questions and a place to test any changes or additions you make to your profile.

Anytime you have a new question it is helpful to start a new discussion. Like this one, the subject often takes a new direction and they can be hard to follow.

Please keep posting your questions and don't be intimidated here. Since you and I (including our husbands) share the same La Palma model motorhome, I'll make sure everyone is especially nice to you.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:13 PM   #13
Administrator Emeritus

2ndwind, WELCOME to iRV2 and the Monaco Owner's Forum...
Here at iRV2 we pride ourselves as being one happy family and encourage our members to post as if they were "sitting around the campfire" talking to one another.
As you'll notice when you reach certain levels of post count, we'll automatically add those campfires under your name.

By the way....SMI Brake is an iRV2 sponsor and markets the Air Force One beaking system which is a proportional braking system for coaches with air brakes.
I encourage you to click on the link found below in my signature and consider supporting the sponsors that support our site.

I look forward to reading more of your adventures in future posts...

Also sprinkled some of that "magic dust" on your member name...

WELCOME!!
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 05:20 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Also sprinkled some of that "magic dust" on your member name... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob... we call it "magic pixie dust" up here on the Monaco board!
Sacs says