Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 08:10 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I did not have a Progressive Surge Protector on my coach.

It was parked at the house plugged into a 120 volt outlet to keep the batteries up. We had a severe thunder & lightening storm and lightening hit the pole that feeds the house. First thing we found was we lost a TV in the house, luckily a small flatscreen in the kitchen. Replace it and I thought everything else was fine until I was getting the RV ready for a trip at Christmas. Couldn't get the intellitec EMS system to come on, went through all the trouble shooting guides and finally called M&M Electronics, they confirmed the unit was fried. $450 later I installed a new EMS system.

Soon after I started looking at Surge Protectors. I decided to go with a hard wired Progressive 50 amp unit with remote display. After installing, within the next year we ran across bad power supplies at 2 locations. Reversed polarity at one and low voltage at another.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 08:29 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I did not have a Progressive Surge Protector on my coach.

It was parked at the house plugged into a 120 volt outlet to keep the batteries up. We had a severe thunder & lightening storm and lightening hit the pole that feeds the house. First thing we found was we lost a TV in the house, luckily a small flatscreen in the kitchen. Replace it and I thought everything else was fine until I was getting the RV ready for a trip at Christmas. Couldn't get the intellitec EMS system to come on, went through all the trouble shooting guides and finally called M&M Electronics, they confirmed the unit was fried. $450 later I installed a new EMS system.

Soon after I started looking at Surge Protectors. I decided to go with a hard wired Progressive 50 amp unit with remote display. After installing, within the next year we ran across bad power supplies at 2 locations. Reversed polarity at one and low voltage at another.

Excellent testimonial for the PI EMS HW50c!

Jim & Shirley & Abbie (Scottish Terrier)
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad
Remco Lube Pump
5 Star Tune
Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C
Coach Net Emergency Road Service
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 08:50 AM   #31

Quote:
Biggest downside to portable one hanging off the pedestal is theft.. Lock it to the pedestal if you go,that route
First off it is unfortunate that TRC, one of the main players in the EMS vendors, uses the name Surge Guard. They have a full-featured EMS units like Progressive but TRC, like Progressive, also have surge protectors. RVs need EMS units far more than simple surge guards. Surge protectors are not worth the money while EMS are invaluable.

We have a portable Progressive EMS we used with our trailer for 10 years. We have never worried about someone taking it. What do you think a pawn shop will offer for one?

But we did use a cable lock but not for theft protection. We used the cable lock to take the strain off of the power pole receptacle. The Progressive box tends to tug on the receptacle and most power pole receptacles are not great to start with.

In 10 years the EMS saved us numerous times.

When we ordered the new motorhome, we ordered it with an EMS (even though they referred to it as a Surge Protector) built it so I can speak to both portable and built-in EMSs. It is more convenient in general to have an EMS built in. If the interior display was in a more convenient place that would be a benefit over a portable. However, the portable has one capability over the built-in. At times I have run into a poorly powered park and when we the power pole in our assigned site was bad, I walked down the line using my portable EMS until I found a site with a good power pole, something not possible with a built-in EMS.

If a built-in EMS is desired, for most RVers, it is better to have someone install it. #6 wire is stiff and a challenge to work with.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:44 AM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not all on board EMS are built the same either - read the specs!

My OEM TRC 41260 is not a full dress surge protection. It does see open neutral, reverse polarity and some basic protection, but does not detect voltage or frequency fluctuations like the $600 TRC 40350-RVC.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
First thing I did when we got our Monaco is install one of the LCHW50 Progressive units with the remote read out. It has shut the power off 4 different times do to low voltage, once because of surge, and twice refused to turn on because of a reverse polarity. Cheap insurance!
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 02:45 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
All RV should have a device that qualifies the power on an ongoing basis, as well as provide surge protection.

A portable unit has a couple potential issues. Theft and being left behind when breaking camp. Both can be mitigated by plugging the shore cord (optionally shortened) into the portable unit with the portable unit being positioned inside the electric bay or other place inside the RV. An extension cable then connects from the portable unit to the CG pedestal.
This is exactly what I do. I really did not like leaving my expensive progressive unit on the power pole. I believe in the principle of out of site out of mind. But to make it work, you either need a 50A extension cord (expensive) or do what I did and use a less expensive 30A extension cord and a dog bone from the female side of the extension cord to the progressive unit. And as others have mentioned, get the power management system progressive unit that covers you for high and low voltage, reverse polarity, etc. The cheaper surge protector is not enough protection.
Billinwoodla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:52 PM   #35

I have the pt50c and wouldn't be without it. Several times it has caught low voltage situations. I did have to send it back to progressive for repair and they were good to work with
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 05:55 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
And to add to what others have said...
When I installed my Progressive unit, I discovered I had an open neutral on the power cord reel in the coach! I had no idea before. Glad I caught it when I did by installing it.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:18 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexters View Post
What about repairs?
I've read that people who had the hard wire called the company when a power issue fried a part. Progressive sent a replacement part.

What happens with the portable unit if a power issue fries it?
Hard wired are indeed field serviceable. Portable ones need to be returned
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 07:07 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
I have used an EMS PT50C for 2 years full timing. We have been in over 100 campgrounds in that period. Like others have said, it has saved us from bad power conditions that may have damaged the coach. I won't plug in without it.

One note: It is not waterproof as claimed. EMS admitted that there is a problem with moisture getting into the unit when I called them. EMS is/was working on a rain cover but I haven't heard anything about it in awhile. Mine got swamped by a west Texas gully washer last year. Three days of sunshine dried it out, but now I cover it. I cut a hole in a kitchen trash bag and stuck the cord through it, taping the bag around the cord. Tacky? You bet it is. But, I haven't had any further water issues so until I can come up with a more elegant solution I replace the bag every 6 months.

Cheers,

Bob
Old 07-13-2016, 07:48 PM   #39

My portable PT50C is 10 years old and has never been cover and has had it share of rain. Never been underwater though.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:10 AM   #40
Community Administrator

True , however for that rare occasion the shipping back and forth is only a matter of days . Personally , I didn't have the room where a hard wired could've been installed and serviced so I opted for the portable and installed it in the bay. Never had any reason to ship it back and it saved our bacon on more than a few occasions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Hard wired are indeed field serviceable. Portable ones need to be returned

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:04 AM   #41

Alpine Owners Club
If you have an on board generator you should install the PI hard wired unit after the ATS, that way you protect your coach no matter where the problem comes from. I know generator problems are rare, but if you invest in power protection why not protect from all sources of problems? If you choose the portable unit you do not protect yourself from problems originating from the genny. JMHO, get all power sources protected for the same $$$.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:15 AM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
If you have an on board generator you should install the PI hard wired unit after the ATS, that way you protect your coach no matter where the problem comes from. I know generator problems are rare, but if you invest in power protection why not protect from all sources of problems? If you choose the portable unit you do not protect yourself from problems originating from the genny. JMHO, get all power sources protected for the same $$$.
Actually Onan would argue against you on that, at least that was the situation on my 5500 LP in my 5th wheel. They recommend the surge suppression on the shore line supply only, so Onan clean power could bypass any additional surge suppression as it is not needed.
Atom Ant is offline   Reply With Quote