Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #1

Propane or Electric

It is in the 90s in south Texas now our Norcold 1200 is working overtime to keep everything cold. Propane is 3.24 per gallon and Electric is 17.5 a kilowatt. Which is the cheaper way to run the fridge.

Bill
jbesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2018, 06:37 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Bill, a gal of propane is equal to 27 kwh.
So you take the cost of electric and multiply by 27 and if it is less than a gal of propane then propane is cheaper.

i.e. 27 X .175 = 4.725

So in your case with propane being 3.24, it is cheaper to run on propane,

Hope that helps

Richard
RCG604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:57 PM   #3

Thanks Richard

That is the formula I have been looking for. Amazing the energy we use to keep the beer cold

Bill
jbesdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:05 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Can't go wrong with electric. If you can power it, a residential frig is the cat's meow.
Stan&Jacquie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:55 AM   #5

I will vote for 120 VAC as the most economical source in most cases. Here's why.

Norcold 1200 specifications:
225 watts on electric (nearly all for the heating element)
2,200 BTU/hour on propane

Assumptions:
Propane cost - Lets go with $3.50 per gallon
Electric energy cost - Regionally highly variable, but lets go with $0.13 per kWhr

Conversion Factors:
Propane energy content - 91,333 BTU/gallon
Electric energy "content" - 3,412 BTU/kWhr

We can forget about the difference in heat rates if we just pick some arbitrary energy requirement for any chosen period of time. Lets say for our period of time we will need 2,200 BTU of energy input to operate the refrigerator.

Based upon the above specifications, assumptions and conversion factors the cost to do the job with propane would be approximately 8.4 cents. The cost to do the same job with electric energy would be approximate 7.7 cents. So the cost difference really is negligible.

BUT, remember that with the electric energy source, nearly 100% of the heating element energy is transmitted to the cooling unit generator, whereas with propane, a significant amount goes up the chimney. On propane, these units are not 100% efficient. I don't think they are too bad, but they are not 100%. So that would skew the numbers even more in the direction of favoring electric energy as the most economical source.

If you need cooling more quickly, go with the propane. It has a great heat rate. If your unit is already cold and you have 110 VAC available, I would go with the electric energy source. And it's a lot easier to "fill your electric wires" than it is to fill your propane tank.

Bottom line? It will depend on where you are as to which is more economical. But when you look at the total cost of RV'ing, your total refrigeration cost is but a trace percentage of the total. So forget the minor difference and go with whichever makes the most sense for the camping situation you find yourself in, and how easy it is to replenish your fuel supply.

Cheers and happy RV'ing!
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #6

One more thought on Propane vs Electric Energy - The difference between the efficiencies of our absorption refrigerators and the efficiencies of our water heaters on electric versus propane is HUGE! I would guess the efficiency of the propane water heaters would be significantly less than 70%. You can crunch the numbers, but in my opinion, by all means, I would not power my water heater with propane unless I needed a fast supply, right now, then back to the 110 VAC.

Off the subject but worth noting, perhaps. And the same goes for the AquaHot, which we have and enjoy, immensely! We only burn diesel in the AquaHot when we absolutely have to do so. And it makes us better neighbors, to boot.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #7

Once you figure in the hassle to refill your propane tank, electric just seems cheaper.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:16 AM   #8

When the numbers were part of the original question I find it interesting that someone comes up with an example using totally different numbers....

RCG604 did the math in #2 and showed that the OP is significantly better off on propane where he lives. That is the point, it depends on where one lives as the cost of both electricity and propane varies by area.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to CruisinCondo
I found this discussion very interesting. Both posters came to the same conclusion using different formulas. One uses kwh per gallon of propane and the other uses BTU's. Each one comes to the same conclusion based on the original question of 17.5 cents per kwh and 3.24 per gallon of propane, I calculate 11.3 cents for electric and 7.8 cents for propane using a fixed 2200 BTU. Either way using propane for this individual would save him 45% regardless of which formula you use; which is a considerable savings. However, based on information I read on RVForum.net, Gary the RV Wizard stated that there are two heaters that drive the cooling unit in the norcold 1200 which suck up 450 watts and run non stop during warm weather, while the fridge would run for days on 1 gallon of propane. This could mean a larger savings. I wonder if someone could find out the true efficiency of the Norcold 1200 fridge on propane. Until then I will start using propane at my house as my cost of electricity is 17 cents at the lowest tier from SCE in southern California.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #10

Formulas aside.. just switched only gas appliance, stovetop out for induction cooktop and will take it any day of the week.
95B20V5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:48 PM   #11

Sad thing is the OP still has a "never cold" frig. with soft ice cream in the freezer. :>)

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:59 PM   #12

Funny, ours works fine. It's just not a 1200 double door.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbesdale View Post
It is in the 90s in south Texas now our Norcold 1200 is working overtime to keep everything cold. Propane is 3.24 per gallon and Electric is 17.5 a kilowatt. Which is the cheaper way to run the fridge.

Bill
You are only talking about a $5 or so difference per month...
Swap out that "NO-Cold" for a residential fridge..
Your milk doesn't sour, & beer is always cold and the ice cream stays frozen..Even when you are traveling.
AND..... NO concerns about everything going up in flames.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:40 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
To me the only reason to consider a gas absorption fridge would be to reduce time needing generator when dry camping. However if in hot area will need anyway for A/C. I’ll stick with my residential fridge!
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, propane