RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2018, 01:02 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Propane Smell Lower Compartment

Hi guys!

When I was in the lower compartment next to the propane tank I noticed it smells like propane. I sprayed the fitting from the regulator to the tank and could see nothing. The regulator is original (2000 Diplomat) and I'm wondering if they leak or should be replaced over time? It looks like there's a short hose after the regulator going to a fixed steel line so my guess is the only place it can really leak (assuming no severe damage elsewhere) is either the regulator or the flexible line behind it. But I am wondering about the regulator and if they age out. Any ideas would be welcome. I should probably get on it before I become the next astronaut!

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2018, 01:15 PM   #2

I think you're on the right track with the Reg. It may be venting off the top of the diaphragm and not detectable with soap. For what it's worth, I'd replace it, sooner than later. You don't want to be a statistic.

dennis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #3

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Any signs of dust collecting anywhere? The oil in the propane will collect dust over time.
If you have recently filled up, it may be that you are smelling residue from the venting out the overfill valve that is opened to see when the tank is full.
It could also be a very slow leak from the regulator, but there should be dust showing up, or at least a small amount of oily film.
Go to a propane shop and have them look at it if you are still in doubt.
Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 01:41 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I haven't checked for dust but I will when I get back to the unit. It's not related to filling up as it's been doing it for quite a while. I thought the same at one point so I aired everything out and then checked it again. I will look more closely at the fill hose sides of things though.

With respect to the regulator, can it be replaced with anything or should it be something special or upgraded or what have you?

We don't have any propane service places around here - at least nothing worth visiting!

Old 01-11-2018, 01:52 PM   #5

My owners manual says to replace that pigtail hose every 10 years. I'm gonna take my rig to the local propane supply guy to have him replace.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:02 PM   #6

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Just a thought, did you check the vapour valve with some soapy water? Happened to me once, the attendant didn't snug it up quite enough. A little snug, and it was good, no more occasional smell of propane.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Years ago, someone broke into a motorhome stored in a storage facility and it was parked right next to my dad's coach. They were kids and turned on the stove for heat. Things went terribly wrong and the blew up the coach. Killed one kid and the other was in the hospital with 3rd degree burns.

burnt that coach to the ground and did enough damage to my dad's coach, insurance totaled it.

Don't mess around with propane. I've also got into the habit of checking all propane appliances after I turn the propane on at the tank.
windsorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 05:28 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I used to get a slight propane odor around my tank in my old m/h. I took a strong flashlight out at night and the leak in the rubber line was very obvious and could be seen from a good distance. I had a new line built at the auto parts store and I installed it myself. It was about $40 or $50 as I remember and was about 10 feet long.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinstar 1114 View Post
I used to get a slight propane odor around my tank in my old m/h. I took a strong flashlight out at night and the leak in the rubber line was very obvious and could be seen from a good distance. I had a new line built at the auto parts store and I installed it myself. It was about $40 or $50 as I remember and was about 10 feet long.
I went out there tonight and sprayed suds everywhere and looked at it with my flashlight. For the life of me, I could not see a leak anywhere.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:06 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The propane tank was mounted close to one of the Atwood furnaces in a previous rv. I searched forever for a leak from the propane tank valve, hose, etc. to no avail. Finally got a leak-sniffer and it showed me the smell was drifting down from a leak in the furnace valve .

Any chance your leak may not be at the propane tank itself?
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 10:52 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
oops, wrong thread
Old 01-14-2018, 11:23 AM   #12

1998 Windsor-

We had intermittent propane smell. It was the flexible line from the regulator. When sitting, it did not seem to leak. When I moved the line from side-to-side, the connection at the regulator would hiss audibly.

That would explain why we used so much propane. I imagined bumping down the road and the old line hissing away...

I hope this helps.

Matt B
Old 01-14-2018, 12:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
The propane tank was mounted close to one of the Atwood furnaces in a previous rv. I searched forever for a leak from the propane tank valve, hose, etc. to no avail. Finally got a leak-sniffer and it showed me the smell was drifting down from a leak in the furnace valve .

Any chance your leak may not be at the propane tank itself?
I didn't know you could get a proper leak detector for propane! I used to do A/C work and had a great leak detector. I was really missing it last night. The idea that the leak may be coming from higher up could easily be the issue.

Old 01-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, you got me there, Bob, when you said a 'proper leak detector'. I was so frustrated with my issue that I went out and got the $25 Home Depot one - even tho had some negative reviews. But I was grasping at straws by then.

Surprised me that it was detecting propane even before I stuck it in the propane bay. Started waving it around and I found it was coming from the furnace.

Hope this helps.

Tags
propane, smell