RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2020, 01:07 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Propane Tank Gage ?

Hi folks - quick question. I have a large external propane tank connected to my belly tank through the fill valve.

The problem is, my external tank does not have a gage. So when the propane guy comes by and fills it he never fills it to 80%.

There is no boss on the tank for a gage. Does anyone know if you can add one to it?

Bob Jones - 2000 Monaco Diplomat
BobJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2020, 07:43 AM   #2

How do you know he doesn't fill it to 80%.

He should be opening the bleeder and waiting until liquid propane spits out. That's how he would know to stop, and its at 80%.

How is he filling it ?

Connecting to your onboard fill valve, with your jumper hose, will not fill that tank. It will always be empty. You are only sending vapor over to it.
Any liquid propane would have been used up before the vapor from the outside tank would move to the mounted tank.

The delivery guy would need to fill your mounted tank thru the mounted tanks fill valve to top it off.

twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:13 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post

He should be opening the bleeder and waiting until liquid propane spits out. That's how he would know to stop, and its at 80%.

How is he filling it ?

Connecting to your onboard fill valve, with your jumper hose, will not fill that tank. It will always be empty. You are only sending vapor over to it.
Any liquid propane would have been used up before the vapor from the outside tank would move to the mounted tank.

The delivery guy would need to fill your mounted tank thru the mounted tanks fill valve to top it off.

Agree^^, no gauge is needed. The bleeder valve is what determines the fill of the tank. Next time, ask you propane man.
Ljwt330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 11:31 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

How is he filling it ?

Both tanks are filled independently. I assume he's opening the bleeder but what I always see is wildly varying fill levels and bills. One time the tanks were empty and the bill for filling was way too low. The gage on the belly tank was not showing full. I called, they came out again, and got more then $150 in the tanks - after being filled 2 days earlier. That brought the bill up to where it should be.

On the most recent 'fill' within days the internal gage was showing I was already down 1/3. There is no other propane company to go to. Hence the question, can I put a fill gage on the external tank even though there is not boss for it. I'm trying to come up with a way to make it idiot proof....

Old 01-15-2020, 11:43 AM   #5

Is it just me? Most stations I've frequented lately don't even open the tank fill level bleeder valve anymore. They just fill until it shuts off automatically. Makes me kind of nervous, but I think rightfully so.
An overfill situation is not a good thing IMHO. I once had to attend a safety class to be "certified" to fill our forklift tanks. In the training video was the aftermath of a tank that exploded while filling. (older non opd type) They found the guys head several yards away.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:57 PM   #6

Dounds like your filling guys are not to good at their job.

Here you go.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/...vel-indicators
Old 01-15-2020, 08:42 PM   #7

Have you looked your whole tank over? My 07 Neptune was like yours, I thought man it would be nice to have a huge other than the 1/3, 2/3, full gauge inside. I rolled around one day on the creeper under the coach and low and behold on the tank in the back is a gauge. Not sure what Monaco was thinking putting a gauge on the back, but I guess at least it has one. May want to look yours over, you may have one as well!!

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 09:24 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by onechaddude View Post
Have you looked your whole tank over? My 07 Neptune was like yours, I thought man it would be nice to have a huge other than the 1/3, 2/3, full gauge inside. I rolled around one day on the creeper under the coach and low and behold on the tank in the back is a gauge. Not sure what Monaco was thinking putting a gauge on the back, but I guess at least it has one. May want to look yours over, you may have one as well!!

Chad
He's talking about an external propane tank, not the one on the chassis.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #9

Check the temperature of the tank wall

There will be a difference between the liquid and vapor at the interface

It will be close enough to give you a very good idea of the liquid level
Old 01-15-2020, 10:08 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I can determine it no problem but the guy who fills is in a rush so it's not like he can take time with it. I'm guessing I may have to live with it or replace the tank. Problem is, those tanks up here are about $1,000

There may not be a solution and I might just have to live with it for the winter.

If I'm lucky I'll get the guy he hires from time to time. He knows how to fill it. The bills are always high and it runs for a long time on that first third of the inside gage.

Old 01-16-2020, 06:09 AM   #11

Quote:
He's talking about an external propane tank, not the one on the chassis.
Wow, not sure how I missed that, guess I read too fast and not pay attention, ADHD kicking in.

Chad

onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane, tank