Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2017, 05:21 PM   #1

Puzzle: Scangauge D on 1999 Monaco Exec

My Scangauge D was delivered yesterday and I gave it a try in the Exec today. Not very encouraging. The required plug under the dash (fits OK) does not show anything at all on the Scangauge D. Troubleshooting advice in manual says "blown fuse"? Not so. Ok, on to see if there is a J1708 elsewhere. Yes, I find one in the compartment that houses the 12V chassis fuses. OK, we got power from it to the display. Tried to take the device through setup per manual, I would not say the instructions are crystal clear or obviously intuitive, but then I am getting older and things may not function so well sometimes. Finally got it into the routine to select the displayed gauges I want. I chose voltage, boost, oil pressure, and coolant temp just for a test. Only data I get is voltage and it looks way off, 2 or 3 volts below what the dash gauge says. Others are blank. I can't believe those other values are not in the harness from the ECU. Is the data coming from the Cummins M11 ECU? How can it have only one value?

I quit trying when a rain shower started, since I was sitting outside the coach working in that compartment. Where do I go from here? Has anyone else had this experience, too?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2017, 06:49 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Following your answers! Plan to buy Scangauge D in the spring!

Damion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:31 PM   #3

My previous coach was a 2000 with the m11. Loved the engine.great fuel mileage and plenty of power. Bought a scan gauge but could never get into work right. Only read a few thing and would fluctuate all over the place. Returned it for a replacement same thing.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:37 PM   #4

I installed a Scan Gauge D in my MH this past spring. Plugged it in, followed the set up instructions and bingo! Worked like a champ.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #5

I don't have a scan gauge D - but I do have the Silverleaf VMSPC on mine - works great. I don't know much about the scanguage, but on the Silverleaf you have to set it up for the correct engine so it knows which PID loops are what and what to monitor. Mine is also a 99 M-11.
Old 12-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #6

I had a similar experience. Turned out my 1998 Monaco has a mechanical Cummins (cannot support a Scangauge), and the under dash connector was a diagnostic port for the transmission.

Matt B
Old 12-07-2017, 12:18 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had a similar problem with my 2001 Monaco Diplomat. There are two ECU's on my rig. The cable that came with the unit plugged into the wrong one. The other ECU had a different connector. I called Scangauge tech support and they sent me out the right cable for free. Hooked it up to the right ECU and it has worked like a charm. Their tech support is great. Give them a call 1-888-433-5664.
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Towing 2011 Cadillac SRX w/ Blue Ox Aventa BX7445 & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca GO DODGER BLUE!!!
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbigblue View Post
My Scangauge D was delivered yesterday and I gave it a try in the Exec today. Not very encouraging. The required plug under the dash (fits OK) does not show anything at all on the Scangauge D. Troubleshooting advice in manual says "blown fuse"? Not so. Ok, on to see if there is a J1708 elsewhere. Yes, I find one in the compartment that houses the 12V chassis fuses. OK, we got power from it to the display. Tried to take the device through setup per manual, I would not say the instructions are crystal clear or obviously intuitive, but then I am getting older and things may not function so well sometimes. Finally got it into the routine to select the displayed gauges I want. I chose voltage, boost, oil pressure, and coolant temp just for a test. Only data I get is voltage and it looks way off, 2 or 3 volts below what the dash gauge says. Others are blank. I can't believe those other values are not in the harness from the ECU. Is the data coming from the Cummins M11 ECU? How can it have only one value?

I quit trying when a rain shower started, since I was sitting outside the coach working in that compartment. Where do I go from here? Has anyone else had this experience, too?

You may have to involve the customer service reps for Scan gauge in order to get your unit up & running. Your M11 is in the time period when a couple of changes were occurring in the M11. The first generations of electronic controls were introduced as the M11 Celect and Celect Plus before the final ISM configuration. Iím guessing you will have to know for sure which version you have.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 04:34 PM   #9

I found some info at Cummins Quikserve website earlier but can't find it again. I recall that the data for my M11 engine serial no. indicated it was built by Cummins in 1997, if that helps identify which of the families it falls in. I knew it was too easy the first logon to find info, now it's like I was never there.
Old 12-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbigblue View Post
I knew it was too easy the first logon to find info, now it's like I was never there.
The Cummins Quickserve site is not very user-friendly so it's not just you.
Dan & April Mastroluca-2001 Monaco Diplomat 36PBD Cummins ISC330HP 8.3L Diesel 6-Speed Allison Transmission-Towing 2011 Cadillac SRX w/ Blue Ox Aventa BX7445 & Roadmaster Invisibrake FMCA# F452291 https://www.facebook.com/dmastroluca GO DODGER BLUE!!!
dmastroluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:27 PM   #11

Mine was built in 98 and is a Celect plus - I believe this is what the E+ on the data plate means - If yours doesn't have the E or E+ it may be mechanical... I seem to recall info on this subject in old threads - you might try doing a search.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Camera 11-19-12 103.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	383.0 KB
ID:	185138  
Old 12-08-2017, 04:00 PM   #12

Question Where is that data plate?

Kurt, thanks for info on your M11. Do you recall where that data plate is on the engine? I have not seen it yet on mine. Cummins folks told me to look on top of valve cover but that was just a paper label that time has obliterated. I have a previous owner's handwritten note that the engine is an M11 450E but I suppose that could be wrong. Better find that plate.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:30 PM   #13

Yes - mine is on the passenger side of the engine block, just below the cylinder head. closer to the back.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:23 PM   #14

I sent thanks to Kurt for his info; for others who are pursuing this discussion my engine does say "M11 450 E+" on data plate so in theory the Scanguage D should be able to talk to engine/ECU. Will see if I can raise tech help on Monday for the Scangauge. Glory be, 5" of snow yesterday/last night here in GA. My son in Wisconsin says he has less than that!

Tags
monaco, scangauge