Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2008, 05:11 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
So be it Bill. I've used the mobile dish for quite a while and know it well. I don't think I'm confused about how the little market share the rv industry has wrt lowering of price. Maybe I'm cynical but I sometimes find myself grabbing the pocket that holds my wallet when someone says "but it's good for the economy". That rah rah tune is pretty threadbare.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #16

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">So be it Bill. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You say that as if I have some personal interest in this thing. I do not!
Things are what they are. I do my very best to report the facts. How you use that information is up to you.
Personally, I like to buy American and if that offends you somehow I cannot apologize to you for that. I love this Country and if I have to pay more for a "made in the USA" product, that's OK with me.
If you like to buy only products made in China so you can hang onto your wallet, that's OK, too. This is a great Country and everyone is entitled to their opinion. My post was based upon the reality of the business. Your response was based upon...hum, what was your post based on?
Sometimes people confuse reality with expectations. I expect to be able to buy my next motorhome for next to nothing. The reality is that I am going to have to open my wallet "way open". It's all about choices (none of which are mine) in our everyday lives as to what is important to us. For me, I don't even care about HD. Seriously, I simply don't get it! I can watch crappy TV in SD or HD and it's still crappy TV!
On the other hand, if I had to choose between any kind of a manual TV antenna vs. one that was automatic I would always choose the automatic. That's just me and it is not meant to imply in any way, shape or form what is right for you.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #17
Administrator Emeritus

Some good opinions by all....

We're fortunate to have Bill Adams come by periodically and post his experiences with regard to the satellite internet and tv issues....

I'm guessing we're all a little "passionate" about our opinions, let's realize we're all here for the same reason.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:10 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
nodine....To answer your question about the label on the roof. You should have an interior flourescnt light in exactly the same position as the label. If you remove the light, you'll see wiring for the satelite.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:59 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you Don, thank you, thank you. Did I say Thank you Don?

As for all the others, your comments have given me some things to think about. I did a little internet research on the Motosat and that seems like a good way to go. The main problem I have with the Motosat is I could not find anyone on the internet selling the products. The only dealer in Tennessee was an obvious residential address in the country. I get this picture in my mind of some guy wearing bib overalls driving around in a 40 year old panel van with a hand painted sign on the side he did with a paint brush he purchased at the Dollar Store.

I have another question that maybe Bill Adams or someone else knows the answer to. I have the latest and greatest ViewSonic LCD TV in the overhead that I installed myself. Amazing picture! I also replaced the Winegard crank up antenna head with the new one for better DTV reception. The ViewSonic has built in DTV. Now for my question. Are some of the over the air broadcast stations transmitting their Digital signals at a higher power than others and do they all plan to increase power level when the analog signal go away? The reason I ask this is that we a sitting about 30 miles south of Knoxville, TN and the Fox DTV station from Knoxville is very poor and goes in and out but the FOX DTV signal from the Tri-Cities (about a 100 miles further north) comes in like gang busters.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Diplomat Don:
nodine....To answer your question about the label on the roof. You should have an interior flourescnt light in exactly the same position as the label. If you remove the light, you'll see wiring for the satelite. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:42 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Glad things finally got back on-topic. Thanks for doing that, Dip'Don.

Never thought to look above the florescent light to find the cable-wiring, so I tried it. Nope, no wires in sight, darn. Woulda been a good solution, though. Hopefully yours will be easier.

Couldn't help but notice that almost all those other posts has negative things to say about domes, guess I'm in the fortunate minority - mine's been working fine. I did find initially that it wasn't happy with the plain 12v power coming in, so I put it on a separate power-supply and it's been great ever since. If you go that way, I'd recommend making sure you can get it on its own line.

HTH,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 03:25 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
I wanted to install a sat dish on my last motorhome, which also had the decal showing where the cable was. So I cut a 3/4 inch hole just like it said, only go down 1/2 inch with the cutter. I then dug around with a spring hook and even used a stud finder and finally a metal detector and found no cable. Like the first poster commented, many times the cable is missing and or not where it's supposed to be. This was also true of a rear camera cable. Manufacturer to dealer's invoice stated this model came with both sat cable and rear camera cable pre-wired, NOT.

Oh, and on our present motorhome we have a KingDome sat antenna and never had a problem with it.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:49 AM   #22

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">nodine....To answer your question about the label on the roof. You should have an interior flourescnt light in exactly the same position as the label. If you remove the light, you'll see wiring for the satelite. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
As an installer I can tell you that Holiday Rambler was famous for placing the label on the roof with nothing underneath. We finally simply stopped looking as we usually ended up with 2 holes in the roof. For those checking above the florescent light, dig around as far as your arm can reach, above and below the insulation. It might be there (or not). Is there a connection for the satellite in the compartment where the receiver should go? You may be able to trace that backward somewhat to at least get a feel for where the cable runs. Are there speakers up front there? The cable could be hiding there as well. If the cable connection is in the cabinet, the other end is somewhere. Unfortunately, it is quite often unaccessible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Now for my question. Are some of the over the air broadcast stations transmitting their Digital signals at a higher power than others and do they all plan to increase power level when the analog signal go away? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sure that just like analog broadcasts are done at different powers by different stations the same will be true with digital. The other possibility for the difference is that digital is a more line-of-sight media than analog so the more things that stand between you and the antenna the lower your signal will be.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:43 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Are some of the over the air broadcast stations transmitting their Digital signals at a higher power than others and do they all plan to increase power level when the analog signal go away? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob,
The FCC granted stations to operate their DTV at reduced power until they make the switchover to digital. This allowed stations to get on the air much quicker at a lower cost while they built out new, or refurbished facilities . Also, the vast majority of digital is at the UHF frequencies and impacted more by obstructions than VHF.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 01-13-2008, 12:18 PM   #24

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The main problem I have with the Motosat is I could not find anyone on the internet selling the products. The only dealer in Tennessee was an obvious residential address in the country. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob.

MotoSAT takes a different approach to dealerships than most manufacturers. For example, if you are looking for a Winegard or Kingdome dealer, you will find one pretty much at any RV dealership. Unlike other companies, MotoSAT doesn't go out and actively woo every RV dealership to represent them. MotoSAT realizes that they are a niche market, and their focus is on creating quality products that quality conscience customers would like to have.

MotoSAT does have a dealer network that covers the country. And though they don't have a dealer every 50 miles down the road, the system works well for them. If you look on DataStormusers.com, you can find a number of dealers, many of whom are mobile. I will use myself as an example here. I am located in NW Arkansas, but I work with individuals in Arkansas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri. It is very rare that my customers come to my shop for an installation. I will typically go to them for installation and even for service. I know that many other dealers for MotoSAT do the same thing. For the most part, this network of dealers works well with one another. I know that I have recommended other dealers for service, and I receive referrals from other dealers when their customers are in my area.

I looked on DataStormusers.com and there are 3 dealers listed that work in Tennessee. There are other dealers that are not listed there that MotoSAT could direct you to as well. I feel that MotoSAT has worked very hard to create a quality product and a solid network of dealerships around the country. The fact is that there is probably a dealer closer to you than you might think, and pretty much anywhere you go, you are likely to be close to one if you need service. Also, many of the dealers frequent the various forums and can give you advice about product and service.

Also, I don't know which dealer you were talking about when you made the above quoted statement. It is very possible that he was working out of his home, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he isn't a quality dealer. Many MotoSAT dealers are single line dealers. When you go into your local RV dealership, they are selling literally thousands of different products. This is where many MotoSAT dealers are different. They sell internet and television products. That's it. And so, they have become experts in what will and won't work, and what is best for the consumer. I have to say that I have gotten a good amount of business from RV dealers that market other equipment brands needing assistance to make them work. They have so many different products and services that they are far from expert on the tv systems they sell.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I appreciate your concern with not having a multitude of dealers in your area, but with MotoSAT, you will get what you pay for, and you will have a nationwide network of dealers to support you. And in that nationwide network are some of the most experienced internet and television technicians in the country.

Satellite Internet Solutions
JamieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Bill, Mark and Jamie. This has all been helpful.

Jamie, I guess I was just surprised not to be able to order the MotoSAT online or get pricing information. I do just about all of my own work and routinely order things over the internet. For example, our 2006 Diplomat did not have a Washer/Dryer and the wife wanted one and she wanted the lasted model which was not yet available except to order it online. I did and installed it myself. It seems like every time I get someone else to install something they do a sloppy job and it ticks me off. I would rather spend more time and do it myself even if I have to buy special tools.

If I decide to go with the MotoSAT I will call and see if there is some way to buy the equipment. Maybe there is a dealer near that will sell to me.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 02:08 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Bob,
I think the dealer model that MotoSat has adopted keeps the Customer/Manuf relationship tightly in place In effect, these guys are really Manfactures Reps and a lot more knowledgable than any RV dealer. In a past life I managed a group of ManFac Reps and they are really on top of their game and typically a great conduit into the manufacturer. Heck, I know more than 90% of the RV dealer tech and that aint much. I would not be at all worried about a home address as place of business. Most of them probably travel doing installs, seminars, tech support or whatever. If I were inclined to spend the money I would not hesitate selecting a MotoSat.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Old 01-13-2008, 02:29 PM   #27

Bob,
If all you need is to buy the antenna and have it shipped to you there is no issue there. Just contact any MotoSAT dealer and they will have a unit shipped out to you right away. MotoSAT does not sell directly to the public but any dealer can help you. That's pretty much how the MotoSAT sales/service/installation network works. You don't have to go anywhere to get an antenna, the antenna will come to you if you so choose.
The system is very easy to self-install if you are comfortable drilling a hole in your roof. The antenna comes with absolutely everything you need except caulk and screws.
A self-install is a real money saver or you can buy it and then find a dealer in an area that you would normally be traveling. If you are going anywhere near the Knoxville/Pigeon Forge areas I can also recommend an excellent installer in that area.
Let me know if you need additional help.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #28

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by nodine:
Thanks Bill, Mark and Jamie. This has all been helpful.

Jamie, I guess I was just surprised not to be able to order the MotoSAT online or get pricing information. I do just about all of my own work and routinely order things over the internet. For example, our 2006 Diplomat did not have a Washer/Dryer and the wife wanted one and she wanted the lasted model which was not yet available except to order it online. I did and installed it myself. It seems like every time I get someone else to install something they do a sloppy job and it ticks me off. I would rather spend more time and do it myself even if I have to buy special tools.

If I decide to go with the MotoSAT I will call and see if there is some way to buy the equipment. Maybe there is a dealer near that will sell to me.

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try this site: http://www.satellitesinmotion.com/sim070307/TV.htm

Carl