Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Although I've heard that having the front TV operating while on the road, it sits at an angle where I'd break my neck to watch it.
Tell me how to make the TV work when the engine is running!
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:36 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Although I've heard that having the front TV operating while on the road, it sits at an angle where I'd break my neck to watch it.
Tell me how to make the TV work when the engine is running!
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 03-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Robin_M;
I just found a note you posted last December about disconnecting the 12V going to the outlet. Is this connection fairly easy to find? The outlet is out of sight and an interesting arm bend up and right to get to...
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 03-12-2008, 11:20 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Bud,

Yep, that's how you do it. There should be a removable louvered access panel on the back of the TV cabinet. It's fastened on with the same spring fasteners that hold the cabinet doors closed. Just give it a pull.

This information comes to you with the disclaimer that you will never have the TV on while the vehicle is in motion. To do so would be highly illadvised, as it may cause damage to property and injury to you and others including potential loss of life.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Another way:

There is a fuse connected to a relay -- if you pull that fuse, the TV will function with engine running. We pulled ours so we can listen to XM radio channels on Direct TV while driving. No watching, just listening.

A little birdie told us which fuse to pull. Would be happy to tell you which fuse if our MH were not 5000 miles away right now.

Gee
Old 03-12-2008, 01:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I promise to never have the TV on when driving. Actually, my grand daughter, not spoiled by me, mind you, watches Disney while eating - and she eats better. I will most likely use it for XM Fox news. I cannot seem to get enough entertainment from the presidential race.
The beauty of a MH is continuing to drive during meals and potty breaks. Maybe that's what the Smart in Smart Wheel means, huh? I could set it on 'Cruise' and let the Smart Wheel take over while I take a break!
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 03-13-2008, 02:29 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Ok I know Im going to get killed here. I run down the road with the TV running. Wife watches it. There is a fuse that is for the relay for the TV. All you have to do is remove it. Mine is in the panel in front of the left front wheel.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:49 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks everyone. Tomorrow I'm going to yank that fuse, turn on the chassis & coach switches, crank that baby up, fire up Mr.
Generator, and see what happens !!!
As an aside, I'll level the coach to make sure that still works, 'cause I don't know what that "LEVELING L-OUT" means either. Wish I could run down there today, but got 'honey-doo's high as my eyeballs.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 03-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">As an aside, I'll level the coach to make sure that still works, 'cause I don't know what that "LEVELING L-OUT" means either. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bud,

I'd imagine the leveling system will work. What concerns me is that "LEVELING L-OUT" sounds like "lock-out", and I don't know what that does. We know that the leveling system is not locked out with the engine running, but lets say, hypothetically, that there might be a relay somehwere that is powered by this connection with the purpose of "locking out" the leveling system when the transmission was in gear. That would be a desireable safety consideration that you wouldn't want to over-ride.

All this, of course is speculation. I'd feel better if I had a wireing diagram that shows you this kind of stuff. Monaco says there is no 12v house diagram for the coach (other than the front run bay diagram) - only a limited selection of individual circuit diagrams. Very frustrating.

Anyway, that's why I chose to disconnect mine at the recepticle. A couple of addional thoughts about that option that may help. First I found that the receptical box was not fastened to anything. You might be able to move it to a postion that is easier to reach by gently tugging a little on the TV power cord. Or... If you can get sight of the 12v lead to that box, you could simply cut it and tape it off.

The way the TV recepticle works is that there is a "normally closed" relay inside that passes power to the TV. When you turn the ingition on, a connection from the front run distribution/fuse panel opens the relay, therefore disconnecting the 110v power to the TV.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:44 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Robin;
I like the idea of disconnecting a 12v relay much better than pulling a fuse with something else on that circuit. I seem to remember the 'make-ready' guy telling me that if the MH was put in gear while the Levelers were down, they would automatically begin to retract so as not to damage the MH & levelers. If this LEVELING L-OUT is part of that safety system, I'd be foolish to yank the fuse. I've been pre-Alzheimers since age 12, at least that's what my wife says, and don't want to forget to raise the levelers! Yeah, I think I've been married to her since age 12 or so.
Tomorrow I'll take a mirror to see this outlet - it is not an easy reach, maybe with good intention! I'm guessing a 120v will take at least a #12 wire, unless MH's use #14, and a 12v will take something much smaller. I do appreciate all your advice.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
Old 03-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I've been pre-Alzheimers since age 12, at least that's what my wife says, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I know the feeling!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I seem to remember the 'make-ready' guy telling me that if the MH was put in gear while the Levelers were down, they would automatically begin to retract so as not to damage the MH & levelers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> That may be true - I'm not about to "test it" to find out. I have been reading the jacks manual and I can tell you that the jacks will not operate unless the parking brake is set, and the transmission is in neutral. There are circuits in the coach that are triggered by those occurances, and both signals are input into the jack controller pad.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:39 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BudtheDiplomat:
Robin_M;
I just found a note you posted last December about disconnecting the 12V going to the outlet. Is this connection fairly easy to find? The outlet is out of sight and an interesting arm bend up and right to get to... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Robin, could/would you put a link to your post on disconnecting the 12V lead on the front TV? I need to fix the front TV on my new Sig.

Thanks
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 07:58 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
CB...how ya doing there, Sweetie? Hope all is well.
I found this link from Robin..
How's M..and does she have her castle home yet?

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 08:19 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry if I'm off topic, but I just read something that triggered a bad memory.

Quote from BudtheDiplomat:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I seem to remember the 'make-ready' guy telling me that if the MH was put in gear while the Levelers were down, they would automatically begin to retract so as not to damage the MH & levelers. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Before taking possession of our first motorhome, the La Palma, the tech from the dealership (the one we eventually fired) demonstrated driving the MH with the jacks still down! It was a real shock to us because he didn't warn us that he was going to do it. In retrospect, I'm not sure he meant to do it, but said something like "Yeah, you can start driving with the jacks still down." Hmmmm...should've recognized something not right from the beginning.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote