Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Questions about Greasing your coach

I’ve decided to tackle the job of greasing my coach before putting it away for the season. Have a couple of questions.
What grease brand or type do you recommend?
When using a typical cartridge hand grease gun how much grease do you put on every zert? “X” number of pumps or until you see grease coming out of a seal?
Can you damage the fitting or seal if you do fill until it leaks?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
There are two types of grease used on most coaches (with air brakes).

First is the chassis grease (usually listed as a "multi-purpose lithium soap base" NLGI #2.
For driveshafts and other chassis fittings (steering, etc.) you pump the new grease in until the old grease comes out and you see the new grease. Then wipe up the excess. See attachment. You really can't over grease here.

Second, for the brakes (S-Cams, Air Disc Brakes) you should use a "bentonite Clay based" which takes the high heat better. You generally give the zerk fitting two pumps of the grease gun. However note that some brakes models (you have to remove a relief valve/breather, then grease until it comes out the hole. This is to ensure you don't force too much grease into the assembly. So you need to know what you have and check the service manual. This is the grease I use for brakes https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can over grease here - so find out what brake system/type you have and get the service manual to be sure.

See this link - you may it find it useful (although not specifically about Monaco) http://beamalarm.com/Documents/Air%2...intenance.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Monaco Drive Shaft Lube.pdf (221.2 KB, 54 views)
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:20 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
That's great information.
What grease gun do you use?
Do you have a separate gun for the brake grease, or just change cartridges?
Thanks
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I just use a standard hand pump grease gun - like this (but made by Linclon) https://www.amazon.com/Plews-30-200-...rds=grease+gun
but with a flexible hose.

If I was buying a new one, I would get the type that one hand can squeeze/pump rather than the full lever type as shown - or better yet, a battery powered grease gun. But since I already have the gun and I don't use it that often, I'll just tough it out and use what I have.

Regarding the grease, I will swap out the cartridges when needed (just need to pump the old grease out of the hose after swapping). I use the standard chassis grease on my tractor too, so that it usually what's in the gun. I probably go through two cartigrides of regular multi purpose grease a year. I doubt I'll ever use up a single cartridge of the clay based grease. When I swap out the clay cartridge I store it in a zip lock bag (because it will leak/drip some just sitting in my storage cabinet).
Old 10-16-2018, 04:39 PM   #5

I use the red synthetic grease. I grease the U joints till traces of fresh grease appear. For the front end , non sealed joints get 3 to 5 pumps of grease till you can see grease around the rubber cap . Same goes for king pins. If you have a sealed boot covering the tie rod ends , ball joints , I will give it about 2 - 3 pumps or just enough to see the boot start to bulge . The sealed boots can be damaged if you force in too much grease.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
IIf you have a sealed boot covering the tie rod ends , ball joints , I will give it about 2 - 3 pumps or just enough to see the boot start to bulge . The sealed boots can be damaged if you force in too much grease.
Good point on the sealed dust/grease boots.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:10 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soppy View Post
I use the red synthetic grease. I grease the U joints till traces of fresh grease appear. For the front end , non sealed joints get 3 to 5 pumps of grease till you can see grease around the rubber cap . Same goes for king pins. If you have a sealed boot covering the tie rod ends , ball joints , I will give it about 2 - 3 pumps or just enough to see the boot start to bulge . The sealed boots can be damaged if you force in too much grease.

This is exactly the grease I use and I use the same method as well. I got tired of hand pump grease guns and went and bought a cheap air grease gun from Tractor Supply. Cost 25 bucks and works great. It's not like the high end grease guns where you pull the trigger and it keeps pumping. It's like a single shot revolver (gun)…..you just keep pulling the trigger over and over till you get enough grease. Best 25 bucks I ever spent on a cheap air tool.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 06:05 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Back in the day, Monaco published charts like these (for '03 Dynasty). Yours for your '06 Diplomat may be a little different.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lube-Chart-1.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	223073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lube-Chart-2.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	223074  

Old 10-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the post. My manual does have a chassis lubrication chart similar to yours. But the one thing I’ve never been able to find is exactly how much grease to use. If I go back many years to my Grandpa on the farm, he would grease until grease would seep out of the side seals. I always wondered if this was harming the seals or the way it’s done. Thanks
Old 10-20-2018, 05:26 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyMtnRide View Post
Thanks for the post. My manual does have a chassis lubrication chart similar to yours. But the one thing I’ve never been able to find is exactly how much grease to use. If I go back many years to my Grandpa on the farm, he would grease until grease would seep out of the side seals. I always wondered if this was harming the seals or the way it’s done. Thanks
A little grease weeping out of a seal is not necessarily a bad thing. Just be careful not to over do it. I like to see the grease coming out so I know it's taking what I am giving it.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:46 AM   #11

King pins, U joints, slack adjusters and S cam shaft tubes should be greased until new grease appears at the seal.

The seals are installed to keep contamanates out, not nessesserly grease in.

The idea is to flush out the old contamanated water and grease.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #12

King Pins? Front end jacked up and load off, or load on them while greasing?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 07:44 AM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Buy a good wheel bearing grease and use it on everything. Wheel bearing grease is not water soluble.
Old 10-20-2018, 07:45 AM   #14

I prefer hand powered grease guns, because the resistance to pumping is important feedback on whether the fitting is leaking grease out, injecting it properly, or plugged up.