RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #1

Questions in Monaco Diplomat

Hello all,

I just took a 800 mile trip. Couple questions
Had a few drops rain coming from the front
Windshield. Itís a 2 piece. Do I rechaulk it? Or have it reset from some windshield company? Any recommendations? Cost?

Also the front A/C has a musty smell, best remedy for this issue.

Hereís a loaded questions, checked the oil after a 3 hour trip in 90 degree heat with full generator and A/C running traveling at 70 mph. This AM added 2 quarts of oil, normal usage or precursor for a closer inspection. No smoking at start up for while running. Had a erratic oil gauge for awhile then normal 60 pa.

2000 Monaco Diplomat 75000 miles, ran great today for another 3 hour trip. Back home in MKE.

Any insight for any of these questions, this forum is most helpful for a 2 year newbie for my first DP.

Ron

dkngtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2019, 07:29 PM   #2

Have a motorhome glass tech reseal it. Always use urethane sealer. Never ever use silicone.

Old 07-01-2019, 08:15 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What engine? Isb or Isc?
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 08:28 PM   #4

The engine is an ISC.
dkngtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:17 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkngtr View Post
The engine is an ISC.
Ok, good, USC were noted in Monaco's to have the wrong oil dipstick length. Keep driving and see if oil level stays at a certain mark on dipstick, then scribe a mark on it. 99 USC's would spray it out the "slobber" tube and it gets all over anything that you tow. My 99 dip had a USB, the 04 had the isc, advertised oil fill on the 04 was 3 quarts less than spec, it never moved. Play close attention to rear radiator,see I'd you have a stacked system ( cac on top of radiator) or "sandwiched" ( cac in front of radiator), they have to be cleaned at least once a year,if not the Monaco will overheat on hills in 100 degree temps. The oil pressure issue I would not worry about, as Monaco has redundant gauges, where oil pressure that you see is different what the ecu sees, same with water temp.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 05:05 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
We also have a two piece windshield (2004 Camelot) and since we bought it from day one the bottom of the windshield would leak in water on the dash. We brought it to a local glass shop and the guy says it's best to just run a bead of urethane caulk around the windshield to seal the rubber to the windshield. I thought it would have been better to run a bead in between the rubber seal and the glass but the guy said the windshield needed room to move around when the chassis would flex. I paid the guy and within a few months that urethane began to peel off. This time I went to another glass company and asked if there was anything I could use in between the glass and the rubber seal. He suggested this:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...+5b9ad67255698

I have since used this and it has worked out very well. Has not leaked a drop since. And by the way.....that's the first and last time I paid anyone to work on our RV.
BigLar368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 07:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
How about the 3M Weather Strip adhesive. Specs says it remains flexible.

Would that work - i.e. peel back the rubber windshield gasket and squeeze a bead between rubber and body/glass?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3M weather strip adhesive.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	251892  
CountryB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2019, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
How about the 3M Weather Strip adhesive. Specs says it remains flexible.

Would that work - i.e. peel back the rubber windshield gasket and squeeze a bead between rubber and body/glass?
Unfortunately the glass Tech that put urethane on the outside did not know what he was doing. The urethane must be put between the rubber and the glass and between the body and the gasket to be effective. If done correctly you should not see much evidence of the urethane, it's all underneath the gasket. Before applying the urethane the inside surface of the rubber must be cleaned thoroughly of all dirt and water. Otherwise it's trying it's like trying to put caulking on dirt. It will not stick. No other types of caulking should ever be used on a motorhome rubber gasket, especially silicone. Urethane not only seals the windshield but effectively prevents the windshield from possibly coming out on some models that have trouble with the fit. One thing to remember, rubber does get old and loses its elasticity to hold in sealer. And those cases the gasket should be replaced.
Old 07-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Have you had the oil and filters changed anytime in the last year or so ? If not, I would first try that...
and while you are ate it, R&R all fluids if they haven't been done lately - good luck

Tags
monaco, monaco diplomat