RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2015, 05:44 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I bet that a product called "Rapid Remover Adhesive Remover" will work on the adhesive. (rapidtac.com). I used this and a steamer to remove badly crazed and cracked full side decals from our previous Winnebago DP. Before that I had tried everything I could think of and just made a mess.

The steamer I used is a Wagner wall paper steamer I got from Home Depot. It worked well to soften the decal which I then peeled off or scraped in small pieces with a plastic scraper. The Rapid Remover was then applied with a spray bottle, let sit for a minute then the residue scraped off with plastic scrapers. It took 2-3 applications to get all the adhesive off some areas but this stuff eventually gets it all.

Rapid remover turns the adhesive into a jell that scrapes off in a glob, so it is not too messy. It has a somewhat pleasant citrus smell so it is not bad to work with either. But it is expensive. I paid $77.75 off Amazon for 1 gal. I used less than a quart removing the decals off my coach. From my experience, I would get a quart for the front mask on a Monaco.

Roy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2015, 06:40 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by trabuco View Post
Isn't it nice to get the 3m mask off! Yours looks great. As did mine, I thought I had a brand new coach once the job was done.
Ken
You bet it is. Just finished my project today. Doesn't look 10 years old. The paint was perfect under the mask.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	280.9 KB
ID:	96866  

Willie300s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 07:29 PM   #17

Bill,

Looks great! I bet the coach even runs better��
trabuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 02:32 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Started mine this AM - What a job - tried steamer then went to a heat gun ( much better) 1/4 of the masc off and working on the glue - so far rapid remove and 3M glue remover usuless - WD40 working the best for no but going to find the QNE
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 08:20 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
I am surprised that RapidRemover didn't work well. It has worked on everything I have tried it on, including decal adhesives. Sorry if I gave you a bum steer.
Old 06-14-2015, 06:22 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
The QNE does work well but I found you have to work when the temperature is lowest, not direct sunlight so the solvent doesn't evaporate before it can do it's job. The directions say 30, 60 or 120 seconds but you can leave it on as long as you like, respraying while you wait to keep it wet. it doesn't harm the paint or clear coat. In some areas I sprayed on the QNE and covered with Syran Wrap to keep it from evaporating and left for 4 or 5 minuets. Regardless, you have to do each area 2 or 3 times then a final scrubbing with a paper towel. I used about a bottle and a half of QNE. As Ken said, you'll love it when it is finished.
Old 06-14-2015, 09:03 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Well I'm in South Texas - no cool weather for me mid 90's everyday
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 06-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
QNE ? Where can I find this?
flyerdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 03:40 PM   #23

This may scare some people off but gumout carb cleaner available everywhere works fantastic on glue...Spray a bit on a rag and have at it...Wash it off when done...
movin-on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:17 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docsdock View Post
Well I'm in South Texas - no cool weather for me mid 90's everyday
That's true here in Alabama also. I found that it does fine in the shade even on a hot day. Would probably work better in cooler weather but I didn't have that choice either. I did find that it evaporated rapidly in direct sunlight.

I bought the QNE made by Auto Tech from Late Model Restorations which I found through Google. Great service.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
after reading about the cool weather idea - I went out early and used the repid remove and it worked pretty good - 3 or 4 times to remove glue but I will retract my statement that it did not work. Q-N- E is on the way from Late model Restorations. I also switched from plastic razor blades to paint removeal scrapers from Wallyworld - don't melt as fast with heat gun. THIS is not a job for anyone in a hurry for sure.
2012 Jeep Liberty
Old 06-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #26

Thanks for all the tips !!
Old 06-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #27

I'm in process of removing mine. Pretty much following all the comments here and other postings, using a steamer and plastic scrapers.

I did find that Goof Off Pro (not the regular version) will remove the glue, just takes a few passes and leaving it on for a minute or two to soak. Putting a piece of saran wrap over the remover helps it work and not dry out.

Mine was 11 year old (factory install) and had severe(!) mildew underneath. Paint shop had reluctantly offered to remove and if necessary repaint for many $$, so I figured try it myself, nothing to lose.

Will be a project... no easy strips coming off, but managed a couple panels around the headlight in about 3 hrs. Final result after waxing (done after last photo) looks almost new. Looks like a summer-weekend project for now... but at least there is life after Diamondshield.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	97980   Click image for larger version

Name:	In progress.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	97981  

Name:	Done.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	97982  
emiddleb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 05:03 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
I need to start the removal process on my 2003 Monaco Dynasty. I was wondering if anyone has tried, or knows of someone that has tried the product vinyl off? When you do a search on the product, it claims to soften the vinyl and make it more pliable again. When applied directly to the vinyl, there is not damage to the paint.

They have a video that shows after 15 minutes of allowing the product to work, a guy pulling the whole graphic off. They claim it works great and makes an almost impossible job easy.

I wonder if this product could make removing the 3m mask something we would all look forward to doing.

Tags
removal