Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2010, 12:30 PM   #253

Monaco Owners Club
Quick Tips & Easy Mods

Hello All, I been contemplating this post for a couple of months now. I wanted to make sure I completed everything I was considering before posting my additions and modifications. Well I finally finished everything this pass week and I'm eager to share this information with my fellow RVers. I have several pictures I want to share with you and I have added them into their respective area.

Added a front curbside awning. As many of you know the big awning is for a little shade at best, so I thought I would add the window awning. I can leave the windows open without rain pouring in the coach.
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Upgrades 009.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	3384
Added a Wilson Truckers antenna to the roof to increase the range of my Sprint Air card, which is hooked to my Cradle point router, which gives my wife and I wireless Internet and printing capabilities.
Custom Wheel Covers. Everyone knows how much MCD charges for custom-made wheel covers plus installation 4-wheels $400 plus $125 for installation. I made my own using a plastic awning rail, which is riveted into the inner wheel well, and rubber welting, which is, sewed into Sumbrella, a boat cover fabric that has been in existence for 30 years. It resists mildew, mold and shrinkage. You can buy this in many colors and sizes. The covers just slide into the plastic awning rail. The total project was less than $150 dollars. I do own a portable Consew heavy-duty sewing machine.

Name:	Wheel Cover.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	3394

Name:	RV Upgrades 008.jpg
Views:	846
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	3393
Custom Steering Wheel Computer Table is made out of wood and stained. I've attached an L-bracket made of wood, which allows the table to slide on the steering wheel

Name:	Comp Tble.jpg
Views:	2611
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	3385
Sanicon Remote with on/off switch in wet bay I wanted to add a remote inside the coach for periods when the drain is 6-8 inches off the ground. In this instance, the gray water drains extremely slow. I also added an on/off switch in the outside wet bay,so when the grandkids are in the coach they do not accidentally activate the switch.

Name:	Sanicon Remote.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	3390

Name:	Sanicon on-off.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	3389
Water Pump Switch in Toilet Area I just tapped into the switch on the main panel in the hallway. I also found many wood screws inside the main panel that were not properly covered. I cut small pieces of rubber tubing and applied to each of the ends. You just don't know when something will touch and a short occurs in the coach.

Name:	WP Switch.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	3392
Remote 12V Fan in Outside Refrigerator Exhaust Compartment Added this for very hot summer days when the refrigerator is working at maximum power whether on propane or electric. Look near the top middle right you will see two screws attaching the fan. I also added a lighted switch, red, center left bottom, so I know when the fan is in operation. I will add a remote temperature snap disc later.

Name:	Frig Fan.jpg
Views:	515
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	3387
EC30W Auto Generator Start Purchased from Onan. We have two cats that we leave for several hours when we golf and hike and wanted to make sure they were safe when we are out having a good time. Installs in less than 30 minutes. Make sure its plugged into a non-inverter outlet.

Name:	EC30W.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	3386

I have also done the following improvements to my 2007 Monaco Knight:

Had modified sine water inverter replaced with a Magnum pure sine inverter.
Added Tire-Safeguard Tire Monitoring System.
Built custom DVR shelf for my Direct TV receiver
Added dual charging isolator in roadside distribution panel which charges chassis batteries while plugged into shore power.
Installed 26" flat screen in bedroom area.
Had installed Progressive 50 AMP Surge Protector
Had installed Horton V-Master Fan for Engine
Installed Kwikee slide in second pass through bay
Developed extensive Microsoft Excel Spreadsheet for RV maintenance tasks to include frequency description, last completed, next due and reference for each task as listed in appropriate manul. My wife gets the credit for this work. She read every manual, document and complied a weekly, monthly, annual, and semi-annual task list for each item.

Well that’s most of it. If I can be of assistance, please let me know.

chiefdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2010, 01:00 PM   #254

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
where did you mount your Truckers antenna, i have my on the rear ladder and want to move it forward. last summer i saw someone have it mounted on the TV antenna, so when he cranked it up, it was even higher up, but down for traveling. could not tell how he had it mounted.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:41 PM   #255

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by majfrizz View Post
where did you mount your Truckers antenna, i have my on the rear ladder and want to move it forward. last summer i saw someone have it mounted on the TV antenna, so when he cranked it up, it was even higher up, but down for traveling. could not tell how he had it mounted.
Sacs and Monaco Mama did this. Here is the link.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #256

Monaco Owners Club
Maj Frizz, I just mounted the antenna coming from the roof down inside the overhead cabinet to the upper left of the driver. I did not add an amplifier, as the antenna seemed to receive just fine. In talking with others that have an amp, they said it added about 10% increase in range.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:21 PM   #257

chiefdave

The curbside awning is a great idea. Am kicking myself for not having thought of it before as the little woman has complained many times of the sun and or rain coming in that window.

Any particulars on what kind it is, where you got it, how it was installed, etc., etc., would help get me again into her good graces (as if I was ever there in the first place.)
Old 03-13-2010, 05:06 AM   #258

Monaco Owners Club
Bob, Just used a Carefree distributor in Florida. It was very easy to install. Call Monaco and get your awning model number and color information before ordering. Make sure you add six inches on each side of your window measurements. This will make sure you do not get any rain inside the coach during heavy, windy conditions. Monaco did not when they installed the other window awnings. Saved them money I guess. Need anything more just let me know.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:56 AM   #259

Monaco Owners Club
I got tired of the mess the Air Dryer made (dirt from moisture left after pressure release) and plumbed a piece of 3/4" PVC coupled at the dryer with a small piece of 1 1/8" hose. Now when it releases it dumps it below the coach.

I also moved the chassis batteries to the engine compartment which enabled me to add 4 additional batteries for the coach.

Pictures below if I've done this right.[IMG]file:///F:/DCIM/101MSDCF/DSC00988.JPG[/IMG][IMG]file:///F:/DCIM/101MSDCF/DSC00986.JPG[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00987.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	3420   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00988.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	3421  

kketterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 12:10 AM   #260

Monaco Owners Club
shelving storage inside bay doors

Got the idea from Drifter while in Quartzsite. He's quite the inspiration!

I think we have shelving inside most of the storage bay doors. And we are careful not to overload them with too much weight.

There are more photos in our Photo Gallery.
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 09:04 AM   #261

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFishin View Post
Got the idea from Drifter while in Quartzsite. He's quite the inspiration!
That's a great idea! I've been trying to figure out where to mount a paper towel holder in my water bay, but there's not enough panel space to mount one where it would stay dry, as there are always some drips from filling up, flushing tanks, using the outside shower, etc. After all, what good is a roll of paper towels that are soaked?

The door is a perfect solution! I don't know why I couldn't think of mounting it on the door myself, especially when I already came up with door mounted storage right in the next compartment:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
I guess I have another mod to do...
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 01:00 PM   #262

Monaco Owners Club
Added dash switches

I added three switches to my dash panel. They turn on/off my Pressure Pro tire monitor, my GPS, and the radio (lets me run the radio with the ignition off). I found these switches at Autozone, since they have a round mounting they were easy to install. And built in LED lights lets me know when they are on.

Just found an always-on hot line to wire the whole thing up, easy job. After this picture was taken, I added a 250K 1/2W resistor to the LED line to dim the LEDs to a more pleasant level.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lights (1).jpg
Views:	282
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	3549  
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #263

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
Ron,

Finally got my coach back from 4 weeks in the shop. I followed your lead and turned the power cord reel around today. Turned out fairly nice. Didn't need any extra pigtail, as I didn't cut it when I added the Progressive Industries EMS. Power cord now slides in and out without binding.

Click here for more details.
I just got done doing this same mod this afternoon. It looks like it will definitely make dealing with the shore cord simpler -- there's more room to pull it off of the reel, and it lines up better with the port so that it will hopefully wind up better. (Like most owners, I'm sure, I had to keep pushing the cord to the back of the reel as it was winding, to prevent it from filling up just the front portion and binding.)

I didn't need any additional pigtail, either. I do have the same Progressive Industries EMS as you, but I installed mine inside behind the breaker panel so that it protects while under generator power as well (there was no room to tie into the post-transfer switch line in that bay.) But even using the stock wiring, both from the reel to the transfer switch, and from the rewind switch to the reel, it all fit. I had to remove the screws from two of the cable clamps for the shore cord pigtail, and the two cable clamps for the 12 volt lead, but I was able to spin it around without disconnecting anything.

The cord reel is now in the same position as it was, but the mounting holes are a half inch closer to the door, because of the extra space taken up by the motor cover. The 12 volt lead now runs straight down from the switch and along the side wall to the back of the reel, instead of looping up and over the switch bracket and down the front edge of the compartment. This required re-positioning the two cable clamps.

The main power umbilical now comes down from the transfer switch, and instead of running along the back wall of the compartment, it now runs diagonally across the compartment floor, and around the right side of the reel's base (instead of around the back and approaching from the left, as in your picture.) I repositioned the cable clamps, and now everything is secure. The floor isn't quite as uncluttered as yours, but the cable is not really in the way. If it came from the factory this way, I probably wouldn't have given it a second glance. (I don't have any pictures since my compartment is not nearly as clean and shiny as yours! Besides, it's not that much different, so it's not really worth the effort of cleaning it just to take a picture. )

So, the moral is: if you have the same bay layout, and the cord reel with the cord coming from the bottom, it's not difficult to spin it around. It just takes a few minutes to remove some screws, relocate things, and fasten them back down. There is no need to make any wiring changes or lengthen any pigtails.
Old 05-09-2010, 08:25 PM   #264

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
I don't have any pictures since my compartment is not nearly as clean and shiny as yours!
But you should see it now.

Quote:
So, the moral is: if you have the same bay layout, and the cord reel with the cord coming from the bottom, it's not difficult to spin it around. It just takes a few minutes to remove some screws, relocate things, and fasten them back down. There is no need to make any wiring changes or lengthen any pigtails.
Good point, worth making. I didn't give that much thought since I installed the EMS at the same time. Turning the reel around the right way sure does make it easier to deal with that heavy cord.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #265

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
Good point, worth making. I didn't give that much thought since I installed the EMS at the same time. Turning the reel around the right way sure does make it easier to deal with that heavy cord.
Yes, I had wanted to do this mod for a while, but didn't because I figured the wires would have to be lengthened, and that was too much work. But, I had some time yesterday, and looking at it, the wires seemed like they might be long enough as is, so I gave it a try.

This is a simple job, needing a minimum of tools (a screwdriver and a 3/8 inch wrench) and a minimum of time (half an hour if you work slowly?) A power drill with a 3/8 hex socket does make it go much faster, since the self-tapping bolts that hold the reel down don't just go through the plastic compartment floor, but also drill into a metal support brace under the compartment. While the rest can be done with a screwdriver or ratchet wrench, having the drill for those bolts makes it go MUCH faster!

It's an easy job, and well worth the effort. My thanks to all who went ahead of me and showed me how it's done!

But back to Robin: I like where you mounted the EMS display. Mine is mounted under the transfer switch where you have your main EMS box, and while it works OK there, I think on the reel might be a better place. How did you mount it, double stick foam tape?

I originally had it mounted on the right side compartment wall, where you have the metal junction box. While that's a good place for the inside/outside display selector switch, putting the display there makes it too hard to read. BTW, what is that upper junction box, I don't have that in my compartment?
Old 05-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #266

Monaco Owners Club
DW always complains about me not closing the small slide on the screen door because it lets bugs in. Well today I have been in and out of the MH loading it for our upcomming trip and once again I was reminded that I should close the slide door. I now understand why I dont, because it is a PITA to try to close it because there is nothing to grip just the small groove. I fixed it today with a 5 minute mod that works great. Im probley the last person to do this.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Door handle 2.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	4019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Handle 1.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	4020