Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2007, 08:40 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Wow - go Don!!

I have mostly taken mine apart, taken pictures, then put it back together Couple of small things:

In this pic, you can see I added a Pressure Pro TMS - 10 remote sensors and the receiver. I also added a new Sirius satellite radio receiver to the dash - stuck an adhesive strip to the dash plate. To route the wires, I drilled a small hole on the top of the "pocket" under the switches and ran the wires up and under the dash. I routed the antenna up the panel next to the windshield (A-pillar if it was my car ), and stuck it to the inside of the fiberglass front cap with industrial velcro. Get a very good signal. Also seen is my Ram Desk and upgraded Aladdin/backup monitor. Also kind-of-seen in the picture is one of our favorite additions - the RV QuickShades. Best mod ever!!

Another of the Ram Desk

Removed the 12V relay on the front TV (all because I had to air up my tanks one day and Ang was not done watching a program )

Added a 12V outlet under the dash - removed the dash cover that houses the radio headunit, tapped into the ONE existing outlet. There are two pigtails on the existing 12V outlet that makes it real easy to add one in.

Mounted some clips to allow my Wilson antenna to snap into place very easily. Also mounted HughesNet modem and Linksys router in bay for satellite setup

Added a roll-out pan rack below the stove top. Really cleaned this up and allowed for easy access. Yea - it looks like a mess, but you should have seen it before

Added a combination lockbox in the engine compartment for those moments that I know will come

I have a list of things to do yet, so will continue to post em up!

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2007, 02:53 PM   #16
Retired Senior Member

As the tow-truck said in the cartoon movie "Cars",
dadgum! Don that's an impressive list of improvements. What size TV did you take out to place the 32" in lieu of? The old 19" in our '98 has a great picture but it'd be nice to upgrade about 5 generations of technology.

How about a pic of the TV....??
RonNBama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 03:29 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Jimd...The wireless thermostat is a Taylor that I bought at Walmart. The wireless for the DirecTv was from Home Depot. I bought oe from radio shack, but it only worked half the time.

My original TV was a 26" flat panel pictur tube type that weighed 78 pounds. The new LCD wighs 38 pounds. Knocked off 40 pounds in he overhead.

I forgot...I added those sliding baskets like digNbubbs. On my coach I was looking for two that were 12" wide so I could put them side by side under my stove. Lowes and Home Depot both had some that were either two wide, two cheap or two long. I found some really nice heavy chrome ones at the Do-It-Center, a store in California.

I also added a Sentry safe, but I ca't tell you where! :-)
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Diplomat Don,

How did you get the wiring diagrams on CD you mentioned?
Old 03-09-2007, 07:25 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Ronboc...
I just realized that you have not mentioned ANY of the many things I know you have done ...so now it is your turn to post even just a couple of things...(a few at time is okay - BUT we want to see everything you have done too!)

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:47 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Darn it, Mama, I was hoping you wouldn't say that, now I gotta go back and remember stuff.

This is a recap of what I had posted awhile ago ...
As to never leaving well-enough alone, in no particular order here's a list of changes/upgrades (so far):
1) KVH In-Motion R5 Satellite (BTW: an external DC power-supply worked wonders to keep it tracking correctly!).
2) 2 XM radios, one wired thru the big HTIB stereo and one thru the dash radio.
3) Jotto-Desk for the laptop and DeLorme map-software.
4) SilverLeaf VMSpc engine-monitor.
5) Vena AC/DC power monitor panel.
6) Progressive Industries 50A surge protector.
7) BrakeSwitch engine-exhaust braking switch.
8) Gen-Turi generator exhaust chimney.
9) Installed a full-coach water-filter system.
10) Added multiple wireless thermometers & sensors to monitor outside & inside temperatures at various locations.
11) Added a small fan in overhead stereo compartment above driver head to circulate and exhaust hot air (satellite-receiver added a lot of extra heat).
12) Routed the Satellite receiver audio/video through the HTIB receiver for much better sound and picture.
13) Reversed most of the switches in the coach (ie, you'd flip a switch ˜up' to turn the light off).
14) Re-mounted the rear-camera monitor up about 4-6 inches, so's I won't have to peek thru the steering-wheel.
15) Took out the bed under the couch and replaced it with additional storage space.
16) Routed previously blocked-off under-couch heater vent to exhaust behind driver seat now.
17) Removed all window frames and glued in thin pipe-insulation between window frame and wall, to eliminate squeaking/rubbing while underway.
18) Added a small shelf in Inverter compartment to store portable satellite-dish and tripod.
19) Added hasps/locks on the outside compartment-door directly behind the water-heater and installed a thin plywood layer over holding tanks, for small/light item storage (such as the generator Gen-Turi carry-case).
20) Installed the remote-keylock system LED indicator light on a windshield pillar.
21) Reversed both the power hose-reel and cord-reel, so's they wind up OVER the reel and not under (talked to the guys at TDI Products and they said they were installed backwards initially).
22) Sealed a major water leak at the right-rear corner (which was causing water to pour in under the washer-dryer and onto the Inverter).
23) Added 2 shelves in the storage-bay on road-side.
24) Moved the Dometic Comfort-Control Panel about a foot lower, so we could read it without standing on tippy-toes.
25) Replaced the 2 over-bed dim lights with directional lights for reading.
26) Cleaned up all the post-construction leftovers, such as leftover screws & debris behind couch, etc (I'm a stickler for details like that).
27) There's probably alot more, but that's all I can remember right now.

Still to do:
1) Trace a pesky 12VDC intermittent wiring-short in the Atrium. (Update: done!)
2) Add a toad tire-pressure monitor system. (Update: done!)
3) Wax it (Yikes!). (update: done, but I paid to have it done )
4) I've got more things I want, but this is all I'm willing to admit for the time-being. (yeah right!)

As-yet unresolved concerns/problems:
1) Like mentioned elsewhere, the engine-gauges may need some work. (still to do)
2) Refrigerator and Freezer doors hit each other and/or trim pieces when opened/closed. (Update: done! frig was replaced! )
3) Weather-stripping around exterior of Bathroom & Atrium slide-outs is pulling loose. ((Update: done!)

Since all that, here's a few more:
1) Added See-Level gauge system.
2) Added CB Radio (why???? dunno)
3) Added SMI AirForceOne braking system)
4) Replaced big chair in Atrium with a computer desk.
5) Added cellphone antenna
6) Wedged a plastic storage box over the fuel-tank on one side to store wood-blocks.
7) Re-calibrated the fuel-gauge.
8) Made a plexiglas "storm door" over the screen door.
9) Replaced short generator fuel pickup-tube with longer one.
10) Put under-frig louvered door on hinges and made a shelf.
11) Put louvered door on hinges and made a shelf under flip-out counter-top next to sink.

Like I said, I'll try to remember more.
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:33 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
OK... RonBoc.... Now I think you need to post pics on a few of them!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:28 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
I am not allowed to touch the digital-camera (something about asking for a Dremel-tool to see what the pictures look like inside the camera). So, how's about we have a big Open-House/party somewhere instead?

I'll be going to the HR Chapter 419 Rally in Indiana in early May, any takers? It should be an awesome group of Seminars.

What about other rendavouz.. renvdezoo..rondevou... uhhh... meeting places/locations? I know there are a lot of local chapters that have Rallyes, but personally we never seem to be available when they happen. Maybe a rolling-party? (and by that I mean whenever/wherever we can all get together, and NOT a party on-wheels without a designated-driver!)

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 03-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #23

I installed an engine compartment fire extinguisher system. Glad to report I don't know how well it works... hope I never have to find out.
bthode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Update on the newest modification...It isn't completely done...SacsTC is very particular about the finish/trim work...but I had to show his progress!
Here is what the TV looked like when we got our Dip 5 months ago...

...and here is what it loks like as of today....

OK... I will tell you I thought I had both pics cropped to the same size... Guess not!
You will notice the wood trim around the sides are not there with the new LCD plus you notice the speaker is on the bottom-not on the sides like the old TV.
SacsTC will finish it off by routing out a little bit of the side edges so the LCD will recess back in all the way (it almost fit -just shy by a smidgen!) and he needs to put the bottom trim board back on.
We will post a group of "in the process" pics when he has it all done

Old 03-12-2007, 02:16 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
'Mama -
Nice job, y'all. Imagine that, all that woodworking and poor 'Bama didn't even get to use his SawZall!

Certainly not to diss your/SacsTC's coach or the mods, but how comfortable is watching the tv when it's mounted waaaay up there and off to the side (as from sitting on the couches)? Does going to a bigger screen make it easier to watch? After a short while, I need to make an appointment with a chiropractor for my twisted-neck.

I've been investigating possibilities of adding a new one on ours across from the street-side couch. Realizing we have just the one couch in the Atrium (and not two like a lot of other coaches), it's not feasible for both of us to lie on the couch and watch tv, since that's the only comfortable spot to watch it. And the great-big recliner got tossed out a long time ago to make room. I'm usually relegated to the floor with the dog (Hey now, be nice!).

I think a 32" LCD would look awesome in the Atrium, but not sure how to mount it so's I could get it out of the way when we travel or when we want to look outside. I've even proposed the idea of taking our LCD projector and installing it on the opposite wall and projecting the image on the pull-down shades (wouldn't that look odd from outside??? ), but it got veto-ed immediately . Go figure.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:20 AM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Probably one of the best ideas I've heard yet, bthode! I bet y'all feel a lot more safer now.

What brand is it, and what does it use as a retardant/extinguisher? (Looks like halon maybe?)

Thanks!
Ron

Old 03-12-2007, 02:33 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Kev said:
"... Added a combination lockbox in the engine compartment for those moments that I know will come ..."
Ok, y'all. First one that recognizes his rig gets a free motorhome!

I got some nice pretty shiny chrome new LOCKING engine-compartment latches from Monaco Parts. Now I can keep my spare keys safe-and-sound for when I lock myself out. Oops, that won't work, darn! Dunno why, but I feel better about having it all buttoned-up (Not that anyone is going to steal my radiator when I'm in WalMart).

I actually have my keys hidden too, and they're located ** **** * *** ***** ** **** ***, in case folks want drop in and visit when I'm not home.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:42 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Certainly not to diss your/SacsTC's coach or the mods, but how comfortable is watching the tv when it's mounted waaaay up there and off to the side (as from sitting on the couches)? Does going to a bigger screen make it easier to watch? After a short while, I need to make an appointment with a chiropractor for my twisted-neck.

OOOOH... Guess I forgot to mention the "Articulating Arm". Notice how it can swing out so my "driver" can watch his favorite show while on the road!! It would also work where you want it in your atrium area since you can angle it to your viewing area or flat againt the wall while in "travel mode"