Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2015, 07:21 PM   #631

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the advice on the step drill Craig,

I got a factory style momentary switch installed for the Safe-T-Plus Trim Unit.

I measured it from the other switches and after drilling i saw the factory knockout from the back with a mirror. Drilled the four corners and sawed it out using a very find blade by hand. You can see it in the attached photo next to the mirror adjustment. The switch with no label.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150621_180259.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	98015  
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #632

Monaco Owners Club
I have truck turning style LED signal lights that protrude from the front of the motor home that have red facing the rear and amber facing the front of the motor home. So in reinforcing the RED protruding turn signal the RED 12 LED light below it works for me. Replacing the cheap amber clearance light with a matching 12 LED amber clearance (to the two red ones) and the top clearance lights above the front windshield was a no brain er. These lights are a inexpensive safety measure that you can enjoy each trip you take with your motor home. Mike nice installation of your momentary trim unit switch. I'm using the one that came with the Henderson system at this time. You will find it is neat being able to control the Safe - T - Plus on the "fly". Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 11:54 AM   #633

Monaco Owners Club
Just did the turn signal side marker light update. Easy, cheap and can't wait to see if people actually let me over now.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #634

t can I do to bring the colors back on the decals on my 2008 LaPalma?
Jack Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #635

Monaco Owners Club
Installed a bit of expanded steel in the propane bay. I have no place to store a sewer hose (my coach has a Sanicon); so this was wasted space anyway. Took about 1 1 /2 hours with scrap material I had on hand.
...hoping this pic works...
Old 07-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #636

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
Installed a bit of expanded steel in the propane bay.
Very nice!

I used the wasted space slightly differently:

For anyone thinking of using the storage space in that compartment, keep in mind that it cannot (and should not!) be locked. You should always have easy access to the shutoff valve. It's not a problem with Captjake1's stinky slinky (not many people would want to borrow it) and I'm not too worried about my propane tanks. But I wouldn't plan on putting anything valuable in there.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:39 PM   #637

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Very nice!

I used the wasted space slightly differently:

For anyone thinking of using the storage space in that compartment, keep in mind that it cannot (and should not!) be locked. You should always have easy access to the shutoff valve. It's not a problem with Captjake1's stinky slinky (not many people would want to borrow it) and I'm not too worried about my propane tanks. But I wouldn't plan on putting anything valuable in there.
Your door shelves are on my list yet! I have gleaned some pretty cool ideas here! Nobody better steal my slinky!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #638

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Your door shelves are on my list yet!
The plans, with material list, is attached. They are just some pieces of aluminum stock picked up the home center, and pop-riveted together. Nothing but straight/square cuts and drilling some holes. I didn't draw the two slot version, it's just a shorter version of the three slot shelf with one less set of dividers.

If you compare the plans to the photo, you'll see that I never ended up putting on the diagonal braces, so I never ended up using the 1/2" flat stock I bought. I was concerned about the shelf racking under the weight of the propane bottles, but they are plenty stiff enough that no bracing was needed.

Post photos on this thread if you do go ahead and do it.

Quote:
Nobody better steal my slinky!
It would have to be a pretty desperate fellow RVer. I can't imagine anyone else wanting it, especially once they figure out what it's for.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:50 PM   #639

Monaco Owners Club
Another recent mod: We travel with show dogs, and our site often looks like this, with a portable fence dog run next to the coach:

When it's dark, it's hard to keep an eye on the dogs, or clean up after them. The porch light just doesn't cut it. So I placed 2 meters worth of LED strip lighting under the slide:

Just enough light to be able to see the dogs, and see the "stuff" that needs to be picked up, but not enough to be blinding or annoying - although we still don't leave it on all the time, and don't use it in a crowded campground.

And the best part: it was free! A friend bought a Camco light strip and expansion kit, then decided they wouldn't be able to use it on their rig like they wanted, so they gave it to us. OK, I guess it's not free, I now owe them big-time.
Old 07-07-2015, 02:58 PM   #640

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShapeShifter View Post
Another recent mod: We travel with show dogs, and our site often looks like this, with a portable fence dog run next to the coach:

When it's dark, it's hard to keep an eye on the dogs, or clean up after them. The porch light just doesn't cut it. So I placed 2 meters worth of LED strip lighting under the slide:

Just enough light to be able to see the dogs, and see the "stuff" that needs to be picked up, but not enough to be blinding or annoying - although we still don't leave it on all the time, and don't use it in a crowded campground.

And the best part: it was free! A friend bought a Camco light strip and expansion kit, then decided they wouldn't be able to use it on their rig like they wanted, so they gave it to us. OK, I guess it's not free, I now owe them big-time.
How did you run the wire and where did you tap power from?
Old 07-07-2015, 03:41 PM   #641

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
How did you run the wire and where did you tap power from?
It took me the longest time to figure that out. You can kind of see the outline of the currently closed outside entertainment center between the window and the bottom of the slide. My thought was to drill a hole up through the floor of the slide and into the space of that compartment. But the hole was either far enough forward that it would be exposed and not behind the TV, or far enough back that it would be worn by the slide bottom wiper seal. I wanted to try and keep everything in that little space between the lip of the slide and the slide opening frame.

I finally ended up using a small cord hider strip, stuck to the side of the slide immediately under the angled black rain gutter you can see on the side of the slide. One end is right at the end of the LED strip, the other is inside just behind the inner flange of the slide. (I don't have a picture.)

The small low voltage wire runs from the LED strip and up that cord channel (fully protected) then around the front edge of the slide flange, tucked between the wood trim and the carpeting. It goes behind the jackknife sofa and over to the opening for the outside DVD player (which is visible behind the sofa.)

Then from outside, I pulled out the Magndyne DVD player (identical to the in-dash unit) and spliced into power behind it. I hid the control box behind the DVD player.

The Camco LED starter kit came with one meter of LEDs, a 120VAC to 12VDC power supply, and then a controller box that has the 12VDC input terminals on one end, and the LED output terminals on the other. I didn't use the 120VAC adapter at all, I just used the 12V from the DVD player (which we never use, so I'm not worried about overloads.) The on/off/dim control is from a small remote that is included with the kit, which we keep by the front door. By skipping the AC adapter and running directly off of 12V, we can still use it while camping off the grid (which is often.) The expansion kit just has a one meter strip of LEDs, and a connector to daisy chain off of a starter kit.

Leaving the strip turned on with the slide in hasn't been a problem yet, but I'm thinking about splicing into the LED output, and mounting an LED inside just above the jackknife sofa so we can see if the outside strip is on.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #642

Monaco Owners Club
We took a short trip down to Franklin In and a friend and I removed our propane stove and installed 2 induction burners for cooking.
My friend Jack is a cabinet guy and he came to my house and took measurements and constructed the insert,mounting framework,and face board in his shop while I did the easy job of demolition of the old stove.
Since we now have a res. refer my next project is to remove the propane tank and make more storage.
I'll try to attach photos of the installation.It took us about 4 hours to cut the countertop,install the power,mount the frame ,and put in the new mounting for the burners.
I wanted two cooktops wired from different circuit breakers so we could use both on high setting if ever needed.I had the circuits installed last winter while in Florida at Alliance [the only correct thing they did].
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0909.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	99992   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0911.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	99993  

Name:	IMG_0920.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	99994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0923.JPG
Views:	217
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	99995  

Name:	IMG_0925.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	99996   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0935.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	99997  

Name:	IMG_0936.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	99998   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0938.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	99999  

Dakrism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:27 AM   #643

Monaco Owners Club
WEIGH cool Dan !!!!

Although the wife says the kitchen is just for decoration - induction cooktops are on my to do list !
Old 07-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #644

Dan-- great install! looks OEM. I think i have decided to glue on plywood strips to the two panels and hinge them. another member slotted the recessed area on both sides so that the top can be lifted off, placed in the slots and leaned against the back wall ( obviously not during travel. this might also work for you.
I also have a 2013 ford Cmax ( energi) that i will be setting up for towing. can you please send me pics of the front end of your car so i can see how the install looks?
Thanks for sharing,
Jim Legler, AKA Relgel
06 Dip
jdrelgel is offline   Reply With Quote