Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2007, 06:30 PM   #99

Oops, forgot to include the final picture.
Here it is
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2007, 03:49 AM   #100

Monaco Owners Club

Great job, MtRoamer. Looks better 'n professionally-done.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:10 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally posted by Robin_M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ronboc:
Coach-reel:
Removing it from its base and turning it around was easy, mounting-holes worked either way. Problems arose when the pigtail was now about 2" too short (ain't that always the way?) to go back in the transfer-switch.
Ron,

Finally got my coach back from 4 weeks in the shop. I followed your lead and turned the power cord reel around today. Turned out fairly nice. Didn't need any extra pigtail, as I didn't cut it when I added the Progressive Industries EMS. Power cord now slides in and out without binding.

Click here for more details. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Boy oh boy, that is one mod that I would love to do. That darn cord is a PITA to retract. However, it appears as though the mod cannot be accomplished without either extending the pigtail or adding something in-line, like the surge protector. Right?
Mbl Cndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:10 PM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
I'm guessing that it depends on how long/short the pigtail (oink oink oink, ouch!) was snipped originally. Mine was just barely too short to reach, but Robin's turned out to be just right (as Goldilocks would say).

I'd suggest talking to the folks at TDI, they may have a replacement or other suggestion. But I would definitely caution about simply adding a few inches to the cable - it does carry a lot of amps and it'd be best to keep any parasitic resistance (like an inline connector or a splice) to an absolute minimum.

Good idea. Adding a surge-protector might solve 2 problems, extending the length of the overall pigtail and adding that all-important ... well...surge-protection... capability (if you don't already have one). RVUpgrades.com (they're a sponsor for this forum) are great folks, they usually have 'em in stock and are super to work with. Our coaches have a zillion pieces of hi-tech electronics that demand the best protection we can give 'em.

Only problem is to choose which one. I went with the hard-wired Progressive Industries 50amp version because it was less apt to "walk away" some nite, and because it had the capability to remotely display the current-draw on each leg. I mounted one display right there by the cord-reel and the other one on the big monitor-panel inside the coach. Can't tell you how many times it's come in handy verifying/troubleshooting campground power issues.

HTH,
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:53 PM   #103

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Mbl Cndo:
However, it appears as though the mod cannot be accomplished without either extending the pigtail or adding something in-line, like the surge protector. Right?
That's probably right. The piece of pigtail in the picture that goes from the Progressive EMS to the transfer switch was added, not cut off the original.

But as Ron points out, you need a circuit protector anyway, unless your coach has the full Aladdin system that the higher end coaches have. (You don't show your coach model in your sig, but I'm guessing you have an Endeavor - if so, you wouldn't have that.) My Progressive EMS has already saved my electrical system from a low voltage situation at least once in the few months I've had it.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 06:03 AM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ron,
Thanks for your posts on the TDI cord reel. I contacted TDI to purchase a longer pigtail but was told that my model was riveted and not user modified. They did, however, offered to exchange my reel for $30 and I pay shipping which I thought was very fair. The reel arrived a few days later and is now installed and much easier to manage power cord. TDI is an excellent company to work with and very impressed with their professionalism. Based on my experiences with them I have ordered a hose reel.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:27 AM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Sixpack98 -

Glad it worked for you!

{{I'd like to sneak in a mention that TDI Products are also proudly offered thru one of our sponsors - RVUpgrades.com. They're good people to work with, too.}}

Ron

Old 09-26-2007, 05:50 PM   #106

Don-- I have copied your list and put most of them on my to-do list. can you please advise what type of latches you used and source?

Thanks,

Jim Legler jhldjl @ cox. net
06 Dip
Quote:
Originally posted by Diplomat Don:
Some things I did:

* I added a manual automatically retracting water hose reel to my coach. I plumbed the water line into the utility bay with PVC and put an on/off valve (similar to the lever type for the fill/city water valve) just before a built in regulator. I added a 3' water hose to the regulator and put a brass quick connect on the other end. I put a brass quick connect on the coach water fill and one on the tank flush. Now when I connect to the campsite spigot I leave the on/off valve I installed off and turn the campsite spigot on. Back at the utility bay I disconnect the short hose from the city water fill and turn the valve on. It allows me to flush the line. I turn the valve off, connect the hose and turn on again. No runnng back and forth to the spigot. When I'm ready to dump, I turn the water valve off, disconnect city water connection and move the hose to the tank flush quick connect. Turn the valve on and flush tank (back flow valve protects water). This all makes dealing with water connections simple. The biggest thing here s to add quick connects to all of the hoses to make life easier.

* I hated how close the throttle is to the brake pedal and that they are both at the same level. I often found myself looking down to make sure I didn't have my foot on the corner of the brake pedal. I added a spacer/block to the wooden center console directly across from the throttle pedal. Now when I move my foot from the brake to the throttle I keep sliding my foot to the right until I hit the metal plate. My foot is now centered on the throttle and not catching the corner of the brake.

* I added back-uplights under the rear bumper and wired them to the docking lights.

* Changed out the headlight high and low beam bulbs to all high beam bulbs using Sylvania Silver Star

* Rplaced the stock fog lights with Hella FF lights

* Removed the screw holding the fuel filler bay doors closed and added latches. Now have access to storage above fueltank

* Removed floor in washer dryer closet and added hinge to access unused storage area.

* Added Thinlite two bulb outdoor patio light just under awning and above efrigerator access. Powered by 12v refrigerator connection. Great for lighting patio area.

* Added "Flag Pole Buddy" flag holder brackets to rear ladder to fly flag. Added a clip to the corded engine light in the engine compartment. When flag is being used I clip engine light to flagpole and illuminate flag at night.

* Added 32" Sony LCD to overhead cabinet without modifying wood....looks factory.....lightened cabinet and reduced bounce.

* Replaced front shocks with Koni's and eliminated jarring from road ruts.

* Added wireless transmitter to rear TV and front DirecTV box so DirecTV could be changed from bedroom.

* Added (plug-in) 110V switch to microwave plug so that it could be turned off when dry camping with inverter. Just flip paddle switch instead of trying to unplug.

* Changed all of the rocker switches on the dash to the new style so they're easier to read, exhaust brake switch to red.

* Added a plastic storage box to the dead area just above the nose of the generator, directly behind the generator door.

* Moved the chrome exhaust tip hose clamp around so the screw portion is out of view....cleaner look.

* Added the quick flip battery caps to make filling batteries easier and reduce battery acid venting.

* Welded a 2 1/2" wheel to the underside of the hitch receiver for dragging driveways.

* Adjusted the fuel sending unit to be more accurate.

* Added third piston to rear bed to assist in lifting. Added a bar on a hinge that drops into place when bed is up.

* Was able to acquire electrical schematics for coach on CD. Had them printed on 2' x 3' paper at Kinkos and have them onboard if needed.

* Found a piece of matching colored felt (interior colors) the size of the dinette table. Cut to fit and store in a tube. We cover the table with felt to play games such as Rummy Tile or Mexican Train.

* Added spacers behind the top of the thermostat screws to angle it down and make it easier to read. I also keep a credit card sized magnifying lens next to the thermostat so I can read it.

* Added an indoor/outdoor wireless remote to the interior. Mounted the outdoor wireless unit on the bottom of the livingroom slide. When driving it's protected. When stopped, it's in a shady place that takes an accurte reading.

Okay....is that enough stuff to start. My coach is my "Hot Rod" and I like doing projects.
jdrelgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 06:56 AM   #107

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I recently did two minor mods to clean up "annoyances" that I've been putting up with.

Annoyance #1: The TV goes off whenever you turn the key on. I often find reasons to turn the ignition on momentarily while my DW has the TV on. This usually results in an admonition of sorts.

Solution: Reach in thorough the removable rear vent screen on the TV cabinet and disconnect the 12v feed going into the TV outlet box. That disables the relay that shuts the TV off.

Annoyance #2: I didn't like the fact that my rear view camera display switched to the side cameras whenever the turn signal was used. The display from the side cameras has little depth of field, and I'd rather see what's coming up around me from the rear anyway.

Solution: Install a small DPST toggle switch on the dash for the two trigger wires that trigger the side camera display. (These wires were marked in the camera control harness.) That way I can switch the turn signal trigger off or on as desired. Click on switch for part description.
Old 12-09-2007, 02:43 AM   #108

Monaco Owners Club
Good fixes, Rob.

#1) I'm sure you meant that you would only be using the tv with the engine running while you were parked, right? Most states legally frown on the driver catching-up on Jerry Springer while flying down the road. I also understand some coaches have a second unswitched outlet right next to the key-switched one in that compartment (duh!).

#2) I'm curious. What kind of monitor system do you have? My Weldex has a menu-select that can turn off the side-cameras altogether or have them switch with the turn-signals. Took me awhile to figure it out, sometimes it would work like I wanted and other times it would switch. Wife finally got tired of hearing me gripe and read the Instruction book (gotta love her), and then asked which setting I had it on. "Setting?, I say".

Ron

Old 12-09-2007, 04:08 AM   #109
Administrator Emeritus

Quote:
#1) Most states legally frown on the driver catching-up on Jerry Springer while flying down the road. (duh!).
In Virginia, the tv can not be in view of the driver....Otherwise it can be turned on.
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 05:19 AM   #110

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by rebelsbeach:
In Virginia, the tv can not be in view of the driver....Otherwise it can be turned on.
In 90% of motorhomes, the TV is in the front of the coach. How do they deal with that?
Old 12-09-2007, 05:38 AM   #111

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by ronboc:
#1) I'm sure you meant that you would only be using the tv with the engine running while you were parked, right? Most states legally frown on the driver catching-up on Jerry Springer while flying down the road. I also understand some coaches have a second unswitched outlet right next to the key-switched one in that compartment (duh!).
Hi Ron,

Well, of course I meant that. I must admit, however, that before I disconnected that 12v plug, I spent some time in personal meditation, searching my soul to discover if I possessed the will power and personal fortitude NOT to watch TV while driving. I concluded that I did - so the power cut-out wasn't necessary. Actually I don't often turn on the engine while set up in a camp ground because I dump the air when I level. But when working on the coach, I often have a need to turn the ignition key on.

My last coach, a Discovery, had the "double plug" setup you mentioned. I did think it was strange but, who am I to question their motives? It also had a lever, not a momentary switch, to dump the air so you could keep it dumped until you chose to fill the air bags. I liked that.
Quote:
#2) I'm curious. What kind of monitor system do you have? My Weldex has a menu-select that can turn off the side-cameras altogether or have them switch with the turn-signals.
They changed the system for model year 07, and went to a Voyager camera and monitor. They also bypassed the Aladdin Jr. for the side camera triggers - the monitor now handles that. I don't have the "cutting out" problem that folks with 05 and 06 coaches complain about, so I guess that's why they did that. With my monitor I can select several different displays and combinations of cameras, but I could not disable the turn signal triggers until I added the switch. At least I'm fairly sure that is the case - perhaps I should have asked your wife first.
Old 12-10-2007, 01:00 AM   #112

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe the driver is supposed to keep his/her eyes closed while the tv is on?

I just knew, Rob, that you were the kinda guy to go into such a deep introspective journey and come out with the best solution.

Ok, thanks. How do you like the Voyager system? Have heard a lot of complaints about the Weldex, and wonder if the new one is any better.