Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-03-2019, 09:13 PM   #1

Radiator /Cooling Hoses - Knowing What to Buy

2002 Monaco Diplomat DP, Cummins ISC 330. Rear radiator. I cannot find out which specific hoses to buy. I tried Monaco (REV), Freightliner, Cummins. I have my VIN, Coach Srrial, Engine Serial. Zero luck.

The comment “bring them in and we will see” is not acceptable. I’d be out of luck if they don’t have what I need. The “let us do that” quite was a soft $1000+. No way.

Ideas are welcomed please. Thanks!
ScottF is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-03-2019, 09:18 PM   #2

What hose(es) are you looking for? They range from 1/4 inch vacuum to 2 inch radiator and then 2500-3000 PSI hydraulic hoses.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:12 PM   #3

I would take the 2” hoses too Napa or other large parts house and see if they can match them. If not get a hose with the correct bends and diameter then cut the hose as needed to retrieve the part of the hose you need.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:25 AM   #4

Freightliner has an excellent phone and on line support service with the vin number of the chassis.... the engine, and other items are part of the chassis.. give them a call..

I personally wouldn't bother with a dealer... the truck guys don't seem to care very often..
Old 03-04-2019, 04:32 AM   #5

Hi. Radiator upper and lower for sure. Hydraulic hoses appear good as do vacuum hoses.
ScottF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 07:40 PM   #6

When I replaced the coolant hoses on my coach I found that they used standard sizes in standard shapes (e.g., straight or 90.) and diameters. I took the hose off and measured it, then looked online and found what I needed. Most were longer then need so they got trimmed to fit. I was able to find them in Silicone.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:46 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"scottafloyd"....I owned a 2005 Diplomat that needed new hoses when I replaced the radiator years ago. This sounds complicated, but is actually very easy. I diagrammed all of the hoses. As an example, the lower radiator hose was 14" with a 90 and another 6". There was a short hose on the thermostat, 6" (straight).

I wanted to replace the old hoses with silicone hoses. I went to an automotive site (hot rod stuff) that sold silicone radiator hoses. In the 2" size hoses, they had all configurations. Again, as an example, they had a 90 degree hose with 16" on both ends of the 90. I bought that hose and was able to make the above two hoses out of one. I did this for all the hoses. It was pretty simple and better yet, cheap. They shipped me the new hoses, I cut the pieces I needed and installed them.

It's kind of like what an exhaust shop does, they buy a bunch of bends and make exhaust systems out of it.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottafloyd View Post
2002 Monaco Diplomat DP, Cummins ISC 330. Rear radiator. I cannot find out which specific hoses to buy. I tried Monaco (REV), Freightliner, Cummins. I have my VIN, Coach Srrial, Engine Serial. Zero luck.

The comment “bring them in and we will see” is not acceptable. I’d be out of luck if they don’t have what I need. The “let us do that” quite was a soft $1000+. No way.

Ideas are welcomed please. Thanks!
scottfloyd,
Scott, another Scott here. Now, I don't know:
1. How long you've owned this coach
2. If you know about DTNA or, formerly known as "Access Freightliner" or not.

If you don't, and being a Freightliner chassis owner, once you've got a coach with a Freightliner chassis registered in your name, you get ahold of your local Freightliner dealer, talk to the parts department and, ask them to assist you in getting setup with DTNA. It might take some time. It varies from member to member. When I did it, it took about 2 days and I was given the opportunity to create a user name and password.

Once that's done, you log in and, you can find EVERY SINGLE PART that was used in the building of your chassis. And that includes RADIATOR HOSES, HEATER HOSES, THERMOSTATS, CLAMPS, BY-PASS HOSES and a few zillion other parts. This way, YOU find the part numbers that apply to YOUR SPECIFIC CHASSIS and, when you call Freightliner with ALL THE CORRECT NUMBERS, they'll be astounded, like they were when I called them a few months ago when I did major major maintenance on our coach.

The parts tech was REALLY happy that I just kept listing all the correct part numbers for EVERY hose that went into the cooling system in our coach.

And, you don't need to go to ANY parts store and spend hours trying to "match" something. You will get the EXACT ones you need. Your choice.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:02 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Scott....it's a Roadmaster chassis and no longer made! Not a Freightliner part on it.
Old 03-05-2019, 06:44 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Isn't a 2002 Diplomat on a Roadmaster chassis? If so, Freightliner has nothing to do with it. Nor does Cummins, since the engine cooling system and associated hoses is provided by the chassis builder (Roadmaster/Monaco in this case).

The good news is that (whenever possible) RV chassis builder always use parts sourced from other vehicles or industry standard. A competent auto/truck parts store should be able to match something up. You can take in exact measurements and angles or remove the old one and carry in. Do it carefully since you may end up re-installing it until you can find a match.

NAPA, Car Quest and other professional parts shops can usually help. Car enthusiast stores like Advance or Autozone rarely can. Some O'Reilly's have solid truck parts assistance, while others are more like Advance.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:24 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
Scott....it's a Roadmaster chassis and no longer made! Not a Freightliner part on it.
Don,
Yeah, it took me a while to pull my foot out of my mouth. I saw the word "Freightliner" in his post and, well, you know how the brain works, or at least mine anyways. What a bonehead. Oh well. Thanks for the correction.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:01 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Scott, I would have offered similar info, but because I owned a Diplomat, my brain went right to Roadmaster.
Old 03-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
The heater hoses are 5/8. I used almost 75' of silicon hose for my Dynasty at $4.50 a foot. The radiator hoses are 2.00". You won't find a part number match. The best thing to do is look at them on-line and find one that looks like it will fit. My side radiator Dynasty used two 90 degree bends and two 45 degree bends. I just bought hoses longer than I needed and cut them to the right size. They were about $25-30 each at NAPA.

Check out the link to my coolant hose replacement.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/cool...ak-373960.html
Old 03-05-2019, 01:47 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
The heater hoses are 5/8. I used almost 75' of silicon hose for my Dynasty at $4.50 a foot. The radiator hoses are 2.00". You won't find a part number match. The best thing to do is look at them on-line and find one that looks like it will fit. My side radiator Dynasty used two 90 degree bends and two 45 degree bends. I just bought hoses longer than I needed and cut them to the right size. They were about $25-30 each at NAPA.

Check out the link to my coolant hose replacement.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f115/cool...ak-373960.html
If you're on a Freightliner chassis I called them gave me a page-and-a-half print out of all the hoses!

Tags
cooling, radiator