Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-11-2019, 05:06 PM   #1

Radiators

Has anyone had problems with Aluminum Radiators. My Monaco 2003 with Cummins 8.3 came originally with an aluminum radiator. I replaced it four years ago with another Aluminum one. It lasted 2 years and now that one is leaking.
Thanks for replies
Clem
Clement 2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2019, 09:16 PM   #2

First, yes, aluminum radiators are problematic. With that being said, two years and a failure would point to improper installation. I would make sure you have the correct anti-vibration bushings for the install and that they were not installed upside down (a problem in Alpine Coaches from the factory).

I would also suggest looking into a custom radiator with steel tanks and a copper core, as they are repairable. I’m going through this right now on our coach.

Hope that helps.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:51 PM   #3

My came from here
https://radiatorsupplyhouse.com/products/motorhomes-rv/
My daughter had a radiator for there Monaco shipped to Fairbanks, Alaska
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clement 2003 View Post
Has anyone had problems with Aluminum Radiators. My Monaco 2003 with Cummins 8.3 came originally with an aluminum radiator. I replaced it four years ago with another Aluminum one. It lasted 2 years and now that one is leaking.
Thanks for replies
Clem
Well,
No, Aluminum radiators ARE NOT problematic. There's zillions of them in motorhomes all over this country, that have lots of years and thousands and thousands of miles on them. Yes, some do fail but, as always, things on RV forums get blown out of proportion. Meaning, look at all the coaches, no matter who the manufacturers are that have them and compare the number to the failure rate. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the CAT C-7 330HP had the aluminum/plastic version and it lasted for about 7 years and 40K miles, before it started to leak.

When I yanked it out of there to check out the leak, I found it was not repairable. So, it was either $1,750 for a new one from Freightliner and 10-15 days to get it to me, or, an identical sized, perfect replacement, Copper/brass version, at $1,200 and, it was delivered THE NEXT DAY. Pretty much a no brainer on that.

But, I have plenty of friends with '05, '06 and '07 Winne Journeys,
Itasca Meridians etc. that are sill running the aluminum radiators and absolutely no leaks or issues. I can't vouch for all manufacturers but, in our Itasca Horizon (basic Winne Vectra sistership) has a complete steel frame that surrounds that radiator, no matter what it's made of and insulates it from operational vibrations, bumps and shakes. It's got rubber corners and two large rubber donuts it sits on.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 05:48 AM   #5

Ok, let me rephrase. To me, a part that costs thousands of dollars and isn’t repairable is a problem. Aluminum radiators are throw aways. Dependent upon year, many aluminum radiators were epoxied and not welded, and I know this problem affected Monaco’s in that timeframe.

Not trying to be difficult, but the OP asked about a certain make (Monaco). If you don’t have knowledge of that brand in particular, you shouldn’t be so quick to shoot down advice being given.

RSH mentioned above is a good spot to check, but I actually ended up with a better price from Mac’s Radiator out of Portland.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Ok, let me rephrase. To me, a part that costs thousands of dollars and isn’t repairable is a problem. Aluminum radiators are throw aways. Dependent upon year, many aluminum radiators were epoxied and not welded, and I know this problem affected Monaco’s in that timeframe.

Not trying to be difficult, but the OP asked about a certain make (Monaco). If you don’t have knowledge of that brand in particular, you shouldn’t be so quick to shoot down advice being given.

RSH mentioned above is a good spot to check, but I actually ended up with a better price from Mac’s Radiator out of Portland.
Well Sir
If you read your own sentence in your post, you state "Aluminum radiators are problematic". You didn't say MONACO ALUMINUM RADIATORS, you stated Aluminum radiators. That to me, suggests that you were suggesting that ALL ALUMINUM radiators are problematic, not just Monaco. If MONACO had or has issues with their radiators due to installation or construction, then that needs to be singled out and not generally addressed as ALL aluminum radiators. And, I really wouldn't say that I was "shooting down advice". I was merely stating that, of all the folks we know and have aluminum radiators in the coaches we've been associated with, they've had no issues.
Scott
Old 04-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #7

clement2003

thank for the response. Installation was easy for there are only four shoulder bolts and rubber spacer between radiator and steel support. I would note the steel support has a 3/4 rubber puck between it and frame cross member.With age it has become very hard. I will replace it. The radiator tubes to the tank are where the leakage is. The roads today are so rough I guess it takes extra thought in the design of support. The washing machine really shakes the coach.
Don't want to say anything to wife for I may find myself going to laundry.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:34 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
02 Monaco Diplomat, 113k miles, Aluminum radiator just developed leaks along both sides of radiator. Called Monaco (RevCo) parts; quoted $5000.00 plus shipping for OEM replacement.
tlbrown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 06:17 PM   #9

I doubt the washer/dryer would create enough. Rocks and road debris can be the cause as well. The benefit of copper core/steel tanks is that they are repairable. They do add some weight.

My manufacturer (Western RV) was known to install the bushings upside down, causing vibration issues. Early to mid 2000’s had aluminum radiators using epoxy vice welds. This sounds like tlbrown’s problem.

To tlbrown, I would look elsewhere. That’s a high price for another aluminum replacement. The manufacturers did stop using epoxy, so the aluminum radiators now are welded.

Some sources are Source Engineering, Radiator Supply House, CGJ.com and Mac’s Radiator our of Portland.

My coach has a huge radiator and a custom copper core/steel tank replacement was $3,500 from Mac’s.
Old 04-12-2019, 06:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well Sir

If you read your own sentence in your post, you state "Aluminum radiators are problematic". You didn't say MONACO ALUMINUM RADIATORS, you stated Aluminum radiators. That to me, suggests that you were suggesting that ALL ALUMINUM radiators are problematic, not just Monaco. If MONACO had or has issues with their radiators due to installation or construction, then that needs to be singled out and not generally addressed as ALL aluminum radiators. And, I really wouldn't say that I was "shooting down advice". I was merely stating that, of all the folks we know and have aluminum radiators in the coaches we've been associated with, they've had no issues.

Scott

Sorry, a lot of aluminum radiators in that vintage had issues. I know my manufacturer and Monaco for sure. To further clarify, I view them as problematic due to the inability to repair them. They are referred to as “throw aways” because of this. I couldn’t justify $3,300 for another aluminum replacement when I could get a repairable copper core/steel tank replacement for $200 more.
Old 04-12-2019, 07:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Sorry, a lot of aluminum radiators in that vintage had issues. I know my manufacturer and Monaco for sure. To further clarify, I view them as problematic due to the inability to repair them. They are referred to as “throw aways” because of this. I couldn’t justify $3,300 for another aluminum replacement when I could get a repairable copper core/steel tank replacement for $200 more.
Well Sir,
I was in the same boat when ours developed a super slight leak. I couldn't tell exactly where the leak was coming from, 'till I yanked it and the CAC out. Even then, I had to remove that radiator from it's steel surrounding frame, to get to the root of the problem. It was UGLY to say the least. But, I've been a welder for decades and, when I took it to a reputable radiator shop, they laughed and said "throw it away". I said, "are you nuts?" Then I told them, I can TIG weld that in a heart beat. He stated, "if you can do that, you're coming to work for me!!!!!!"

Then he pointed to a shelf in the shop. It was completely loaded with old, aluminum radiators. He said, yes, some can be fixed, depending on the issue. But, by and large, a large majority can't. So, I ordered a new, copper brass unit for about $500 less than the aluminum Freightliner one. As far as weight, ZERO difference! Both the aluminum one and the copper brass one, with the steel frame around them, weighed almost exactly the same.
Scott
Old 04-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #12

The Alpine model is 40 lbs. heavier, but that’s not bad in the grand scheme. I’m just hoping the bushings will hold up.
Old 05-06-2019, 04:25 AM   #13

Radiator

Hello Again. Thought I would let you all know I have replace the radiator with a steel copper from RSH. $3200.00 including shipping. The framework is really heavy duty. After checking newer Monaco MH I found that the aluminum radiators are mounted completely different than mine. They are mounted in a channel with rubber. No direct bolt fasteners allowing them to float. Sure that this removes the stress of a direct bolt in. Again thanks for all of your inputs.
Clem
Old 05-06-2019, 12:46 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
No new manufacture (car, truck, RV) uses brass/copper radiators. Everyone uses aluminum now. It may be to save weight (and therefore get better fuel economy) - or maybe it's just cheaper for the manufacturer - but no one is installing copper radiators theses days... so that should say something.

I looked at several sites on the reasons and there are lots of pro and cons for both types. Here's a good write up on the pros and cons:

https://www.cgj.com/2013/07/16/alumi...inal-thoughts/
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator