Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2011, 04:58 PM   #1

Raise the coach to go over a high spot?

I have a fairly sharp transition at the top of the entrance into the lot where I store my Patriot Thunder. When I enter the lot some part of the bottom of the coach rubs on the asphalt.

I know you should NOT drive it with the coach dropped, but is it a good idea to lift the coach before I enter?
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2011, 05:05 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
If your able to raise the MoHo before its going to drag do it. Can't figure out any benefit to dragging the bottom.

jack
Jack R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #3

Commercial Member

Like Jack R said, it's OK to use the keypad and manually raise your coach if you need to navigate certain terrain (like a driveway) when traveling short distances. We have to do this from time to time to get some coaches into one of our bays at our service center.

FYI - Your coach actually has a built in mechanism that automatically raises itself to ride height (if not there already) once you get to second gear as a safety precaution.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you can raise it, get up so it won;t drag.

ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:27 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I had to raise my coach to get over a railroad track once upon a time. Didn't know if I was going to make it, so I went very slowly over the tracks. About halfway across I started to hear some light scraping, so I raised the coach and inched forward and never heard the scrapes again. On mine you have to hold the "RAISE" button down for it to stay raised. As soon as you let go of the button, it starts deflating again to normal ride height.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:09 PM   #6

Paul, I have had to raise mine and drive a short distance through dips coming out of driveways so I don't drag the trailer hitch. I talked to the HWH rep at the FMCA Rally at Perry and he said that is what it is for. I was concerned about raising it too high if I held the button down and HWH said the bags would take all the pressure then just stop going up.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:57 AM   #7

On my 2006 Executive, scrapping the hitch has been a problem from the beginning. Mine will hit even on uneven transitions between two intersecting roads. I opted to install four of the heavy 3 inch rollers on the hitch. Even the factory technicians liked them. I know a lost 3 inches of ground clearance but at least when it hits, it rolls smoothly on the roller. They even have zert grease fittings. The factory told me that the Detroit series 60 engine is the lowest sitting engine for ground clearance. It also is the rear engine support so I do not want to scrape it away.
series60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #8

Series60man, have you checked your ride height? Are you nine inches at the bags on a level surface? My Signature has only scraped the trailer hitch once or twice and that was before I adjusted the height correctly. I have an Blue Ox adjustable height hitch and I installed it upside down so part of it will not hang low. Is yours an adjustable height hitch? My rear guard is not under my engine but is under the transmission and I have nothing under my engine unless you are talking about the most rear engine support. I have hit that once because I was not paying attention. You also have to be carefull when you dump the bags because that tranny guard will hit the ground.
Old 05-27-2011, 07:32 AM   #9

Hi Mike, yes, I am at 9+ inches. The factory techs pushed the ride height limits with adjustments 2 years ago. The tranny guard does not hit. I am referring to the actual rear engine mount that is attached to the top of the hitch. There is no adjustment to my hitch. I have to drive carefully and slow at times. It is a low rider motorhome. Without the rollers I would have eventually scraped off the bottom of the hitch.
series60man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:24 AM   #10

Yes, they sit low going down the road. i guess that reduces drag but ya sure got to watch for alligators in the road.
Old 05-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #11

Series60man, what is the air pressure regulator set at for your tag axle air bags?
Old 05-27-2011, 02:58 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry if I'm crashing in on a Monaco party but I'm curious. Is the ability to "raise the coach" a feature unique to Monaco systems?

Thanks

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:19 PM   #13

Rick, no problem, as far as raising the coach via the air leveling system I cannot tell you if other brands have that feature or not. It is provided by the HWH air leveling system and I would think that would be available on other brands also. So does your coach have a air leveling system and if so can you raise it or dump the air out of the bags? It is neat because I will raise one end up at a time and turn the system off and put a couple of big jack stands under and I can get under it and grease it. the back actually goes up high enough that I can fit a Home Depot orange 5 gallon Homer bucket under the oil pan to drain the oil. I have never had it accidently come down but I still use the jack stands. Even if it did come down it is pretty slow.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
Sorry if I'm crashing in on a Monaco party but I'm curious. Is the ability to "raise the coach" a feature unique to Monaco systems?

Thanks

Rick
Same Question?
DBOL is offline   Reply With Quote