RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2019, 07:00 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ramco side mirror removal

We're in the midst of a nine month jaunt around the country. Will cross the Mackinaw Bridge tomorrow and continue South to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee. Enroute, we'll be stopping in Elkhart, IN and one of the to-dos on my wish list is to have Ramco rebuild at least one of my side mirrors. There is so much play in the top half of the right one that it is almost unusable and a safety hazard. After failing to find a way to correct the issue, I called Ramco tech support and they confessed that the motor and the mount for the flat plastic mirror was poorly designed and prone to this kind of failure. They said that if I remove the mirror from the coach and bring it in to their shop that they would rebuild it with a newly designed motor and mount for $250.

Has anyone else had the same issue? Anyone found an alternative solution? It appears that the removal of the 9/16" bolt on the bottom of the arm is all that is required to start the removal process. The long horizontal arm comes apart in three pieces and somewhere in there is a 6-pin block connector to disconnect the electrics for the turn signal, heater and motor.

Sorry I don't have the Ramco model number for the mirror handy.
Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Barryc737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2019, 07:08 PM   #2

BTW, I have read the thread by Rusty Kramer started on 9-4-19. Yes, I could just stuff some foam to try to stabilize the flat mirror as a bandaid. Ramco insists that there is no adjustment or tightening fix.

Old 09-07-2019, 07:41 PM   #3

When I ordered all the parts to rebuild mine they offered to install all the parts at no charge.. all i needed to do was ship the arms and create a return shipping label... I was in a hurry and didn’t want to wait so I did it myself. Took a few hours the first one.. 2nd took about an hour and a half... wish I would have had them do it.. a lot of work and it’s not plug and play .. they work better now though.
Old 09-08-2019, 09:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Often you have to put a longer 3/8th bolt to hit to get the arm out of the base. Getting the electric connections out to where you can unplug them is a challenge...use a step ladder (and second person) to support the mirror while unhooking the connections. You may find it’s easier to remove the base (once you remove the chrome plastic cover) to get to the connections.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #5

If anyone does attempt.. 1 thing I will add..

The lower mirror if you have... when I put the new motor on and plugged in the connection it was backwards.. so up is down and down is up.. dale check it before you assemble totally
Old 09-12-2019, 02:09 PM   #6

Both mirrors came off without a hitch....9/16" socket. The 6 pin connectors were stuffed into the mounts and detached easily. 24 hour turn-around service at the factory. They are replacing the entire guts. The only original parts will be the arms and the hoods. Will report back on the results.

Tags
removal