Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2019, 07:26 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Ramps & Tag axel

Need some advice from the mechanical wizards on this amazing site !!
I am making ramps,out of wooden beams, to pull the coach up on for changing oil and working under the coach..
I am well aware they need to be sturdy enough to safely support the coach, so we don’t need to go there. I’m using 6X14 solid wood, aged beams, for the ramps.
My question is, will it do any harm to just pull the rear duals on the ramps and let the tags hang, while I do what service needs to be done under the coach ? I have 2 floor jacks I could use to raise the tags if necessary.
Sorry of this has been discussed before. I couldn’t find anything about it.
Thanks in advance !
Greg
gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2019, 05:15 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It's okay to let the Tag axle hang.

Just be sure that your ramps support both tires on the drive axle. And expect that the ramps will be heavy - so design in some carry hand-holds.

I used 2x10s under each tire with plywood between to keep it all (the two sections) together. I'd say it weighs 40 or 50 pounds per ramp.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade Wood Ramps.JPG
Views:	62
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	250834  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Does it hurt to raise the tag when making turns? Not sure the tag will stay raised when you turn the key off. I would reduce the air pressure on the tag axle regulator so you are not overloading the amount of force on the shocks and there supports. My tag is supporting 9000 lbs so I would not want the shocks stopping that amount of weight.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #4

I did almost exactly what CountryB did, only mine aren't as tall. After I'm on the ramps, I dump the air, entirely, so the coach is as low as it can go, short of deflating the tires. That way I'm 100% safe while under the rig. His are quite a bit better than mine, as I only used three two-by's for a total lift of just under 5". Be sure to make four ramps for your drive axle, and not just two.

I also made two "cubes" the same height as the ramps. Before I dump the air, I lift the tag, and slide those under it, then put the tag back down. That way the tag isn't hanging, and I gain maybe another quarter to a half inch by somewhat lightening the load on the drive tires.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:33 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My coach has large nylon straps that prevent the tag axle from dropping too far (or hanging off the shocks). All my axles have these limiting straps.

I think all the Roadmaster 10-bag (and maybe 8-bag) suspensions have these straps. Not sure.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:56 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Ramps & Tag axel

Lots of good information! Thank you guys.
I like the idea of the cubes for the tags. Think I will do that so I won’t have the floor jacks in my way.
My ramps will be about 9” tall so I can slide in and out on my creeper. Will make 6 ramps so all tires, with the exception of the tags, will be supported. The actual ramp sections will be removable to give more access close to the tires.
I need to check to see if my coach, roadmaster 10 bag, has them.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
My coach has large nylon straps that prevent the tag axle from dropping too far (or hanging off the shocks). All my axles have these limiting straps.

I think all the Roadmaster 10-bag (and maybe 8-bag) suspensions have these straps. Not sure.
Neither of my 2 rigs have straps.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Mine has no suspension limiting straps!
I made my rear service ramps long enough so the tag tires are also supported.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:26 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
96 Wideglide, any pictures of your ramps ?
Old 06-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sorry, I have no pictures.
Bottom layer is 4, 8' 2X 12's with the leading edges beveled. Next layer is 7' 2X 12's, edges beveled. Third layer is just long enough for drive tires and tag tires to fit on. Once the stack is assembled, I have holes drilled right thru, and use dowels to hold them together while I drive on.
Old 06-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you all.
Time for me to get to work !!
Old 06-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I did something like CountryB ... they have come in handy for multiple things like working under the tractor as well as the motorhome. Mine only add a little under 5 inchs in added height but it makes a world of difference underneath and having space to move around.

I used pressure treated plywood for the first layer that will sit on the ground all the time.

Only thing I would do different is make the ramp up a little longer and less steep, the first time powering up on to them in the coach was a little unnerving as it took a little bit of throttle for all 4 tires to wanta go up at once!

Oh, and realize when you have the coach up, your front step will be 5 inches higher off the ground as well. I knew it but my wife didn't!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4470.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	294.6 KB
ID:	250982  
Old 06-24-2019, 09:38 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Nice ramps Rob.

To anyone building a set. Keep in mind they can get pretty heavy.

I used four 2" x 8" x 10' boards an one sheet of plywood - a 4ft base, then a 3ft long piece, then a 2ft, ending with a 1ft long top (or some lengths close to that), to make two ramps.

Try carrying two 10-ft 2x8 boards and a half sheet of 1/2" plywood to get an idea of the weight.

I would not want to go any wider/taller/longer (well maybe I'd go with 2x10s next time since each tire is 11" wide). These ramps are really heavy to move around.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:47 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnlandrus View Post
Lots of good information! Thank you guys.
I like the idea of the cubes for the tags. Think I will do that so I won’t have the floor jacks in my way.
My ramps will be about 9” tall so I can slide in and out on my creeper. Will make 6 ramps so all tires, with the exception of the tags, will be supported. The actual ramp sections will be removable to give more access close to the tires.
I need to check to see if my coach, roadmaster 10 bag, has them.
Some Country Coaches have them too. Source Engineering still lists them on their website.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote