Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
RCA Home Theater system (hanging on still)

My RCA unit is the one that came new with our coach. I am not a big fan of it, but replacing it is not something I want to do yet. I thought I might have to yesterday, the subwoofer went out, the RCA would not drive it, but my dash radio still would. I figured maybe a speaker wire came loose so I pulled the RCA unit out, first time I have done that, don't want to do it again unless I find something that fits in the hole and is a lot better. Turned out the problem was a broken subwoofer control cable in the slide out itself. Years ago, I made that cable longer because it was so short the slide hung up and ripped a hole in the wall inside a cabinet when it yanked the wire. Once I respliced it the blue light came on on the sub and it started working again. It is no fun working inside that cabinet, too tight with the video switcher box, a cable modem, blue ray player, Nintendo Gamecube (yea I still have it, I play Simpsons Road Rage) and the mob of wires to connect it all to each other and to the power.

The RCA does not have a digital audio only connection. I wish it did so I could connect my Smart Blue Ray audio to it digitally. I think I need to start looking for a replacement now. I think the day is coming when the RCA is coming out for good.

Not sure what is the best unit to replace it with, size of the new one really does matter. I plan to replace the sub woofer at the same time, the RCA one is better than nothing but not by much.

-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2017, 11:37 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I replaced my RCA unit with a Sony HT-SS360 receiver. It has two optical inputs, three HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. It was easy to hook-up the existing wires. I did have to cut the RCA surround sound plug-in and splice in the Sony connectors. I now have the new tv, sat. and Blu Ray tied into the Sony receiver. The surround sound works great on all. The HT-SS370 is the same unit but a little newer. I found mine on e-bay and have seen others listed. They usually run around $100-$150.

Tony49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 12:01 PM   #3

Like Gramps I would like to find a surround sound amp that is not so bog .
The surround receivers are all rather large and I'm not interested in the
radio part anyway .

Can a blue ray player with surround be used and just not have a receiver ?

Ray
Old 04-03-2017, 02:07 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamiDav View Post
Like Gramps I would like to find a surround sound amp that is not so bog .
The surround receivers are all rather large and I'm not interested in the
radio part anyway .

Can a blue ray player with surround be used and just not have a receiver ?

Ray
Some of the theater in a box units are blu ray as well and they are about the same size as the RCA unit, 2 or three inches tall. I am thinking about this unit, use the Sony sub, but none of the other speakers.

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDVE3100...eater+in+a+box
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2017, 03:16 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
If your space is like mine, any modern receiver will fit in there. You do have to install an external amp for the sub. I installed a Pioneer VSX-1020-K that I had laying around. One benefit is that the original Sharp TV has an optical digital out (Toslink) so now I have Dolby Digital sound from the TV. During the process, I found that the subwoofer and 2 of the speakers were wired in reverse.

I used one of these to power the sub. It works great, but you have to manually turn it on/off.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VF5TY7E

I LOVE the way it sounds now. Although I'm more of a Denon fan, the MDACC system in the Pioneer did a good job helping me find miswired speakers and a good job setting the EQs automatically.

I also now have HDMI inputs for my NVidia Shield streamer and my Playstation consoles.

Let me know if you want pictures and I'll be more than happy to post the end results.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater