Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2013, 05:32 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Rear camera change out inside a housing

I have a 1999 HR endeavor with a black and white Intec camera system. The camera is mounted inside the molded fiberglass housing (rear roof) with a weather front enclosure with a glass lens in front. I want to install a color camera with IR capabilities but I am told it won't work with glass in front. Is the front piece required, will it be weather proof? What options is there.

Thanks Gene

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #2

Gene, I have a 2001 Diplomat and I replaced my black & white camera a year ago. I mounted the new color camera to the outside of the molded mount because the one I bought is to big to fit in the space the old camera fit in. It took me almost a week to get the new cable run from the front to the back. The monitor and new camera work great and I can see what I am towing and I can see over the top of my toad and see what is behind me. The camera I bought is weather resistant and I am very happy with it. It took about 2 hours for me to get the old monitor out of the dash. Good luck, George

Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks I had,t thought of outside mount. I guess you pulled the wires out through a hole you made and then weather sealed

Thanks, I had,'t thought of that. Did you make a hole for cabling to come out? weather sealing?'
I think I can get some adapters to use the existing wiring from intec.
Running new wiring? scares me a bit. In fact to the point if its not just a pull through i doubt that I will tackle it
Thanks again

?
Old 02-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
George - Could you explain the cable run you did a bit? Don't know if your coach and my Dynasty would be similar but maybe. Would really like to upgrade the B&W cam also. Was thinking about going to a radio with the flip-out DVD screen. What I've seen of the dash is intimidating to say the least!
Old 02-26-2013, 04:57 AM   #5

My new system came with a LCD monitor, a processor, a new cable about 65' long, and a new camera. I tried to mount the camera like the old camera but the new camera was much larger. I know the original poster said his camera has glass in front of it but my existing camera fit up against a hole in the lens mount plate. I ran the cable down thru the bottom of the my side dash where the trans shifter cables and a lot of the other wires run then out the back side of the front run box. I tie wrapped the cable to existing wire runs and then behind the front wheels my coach has several conduits that run front to back. I used an electricians fish tape that I ran from the rear of the conduit to the front and then taped the new cable to the tape and pulled it thru the conduit. I bent a small loop in the fish tape before I taped the new cable to it. You want to black tape this up and make it as smooth as possible so it does not get caught on anything as you are pulling it thru the conduit. I then ran the it down the passenger side of the engine and then up to the camera mount. You would think that the rear caps on these coaches are made of a big piece of FRP but on the top of my coach is a big air intake which I believe is the air intake for the Cummins and it may have other functions as well. I worked for several days to get the cable to where it needs to go. The new cable has more wires in it than the existing cable does. Once I got it installed and turned on the key it was worth all the effort. I have done things like this my entire life and I thought this would be easy but on this coach it was not. George
Old 02-26-2013, 05:14 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
New Camera

I did the same thing on my 2002 Diplomat. I mounted the new camera on top of the old fiberglass housing. I fished the cable down the left(driver) side of the rear cap by temporarily removing the leftmost running light and using a fish tape. I bought another fixed mount camera with my kit, that included side cameras, and I gutted the old fiberglass mounted camera and mounted the new camera. In the end I had a 4 camera system connected to a Voyager monitor.
2016 Ford Edge toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for that info George. Best have plenty of time for this job if I tackle it!
Old 02-28-2013, 03:48 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club

Rear View Safety | Product | Backup Camera System | RVS-770613

Photos above are the outside pics from the members gallery of the dual rear-camera system I installed from Rear view safety (See link above). They have several systems that will work. I liked the dual color cameras so I can switch from the TOAD view to Rear traffic view using the small remote control anytime. Running new cables is not alot of fun, but the old B&W cable was not compatible anyway. I just left the old B&W system completely installed for a backup. The new Color Display sits up on the Dash now. The little remote control is by my left arm on the left-side driver's panel. As you can see, I drilled large enough holes on each side of the old camera enclosure for the new camera connectors to fit thru. Then a large Grommet in each hole and some silicon to seal. If you decide on this system, be sure to call and order by phone. Make sure they install the correct long cables for this system's camera--to--multiplexer box. They (2 ea. Cables needed) have to have the correct male or female type connectors so you don't need adaptors for it to work. Manually aligning the 2 cameras can take alittle time to get them where you want them.
I understand there is a single color camera system that has a motorized camera that moves the camera up and down. I didn't know about it until I had this system installed. Not sure what company carries it, or if it is still available, so I can't help with that.
Radarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:11 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
if you have not started the task of trying to pull new

I am working on an adapter to the INTEC cable, I have matched the connectors and will make the adapter in next few days. I can then plug in a standard 4 pin RV/TRUCKER camera system.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #10

I looked at replacing my old B&W about a year ago and decided in the end to install a Voyager Digital Wireless camera. The killer was having to run a new cable plus modifing the dash. I mounted the camera on the top of the molded camera housing and picked up the power from one of the running lights. I always run with light on so the power isn't a problem. I mounted the monitor on top of the dash and I find I'm much more comfortable with it there instead of taking my eye off the road to look down at the dash. I still have the old B&W which comes in monitoring the towing rig to the Jeep. The downside was not being able to add side cameras but I felt it was worth the trade.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:48 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
options

ON the dreaded EBAY there are some very nice options on wireless. With a good two camera system for about $200.
I had looked at those and almost purchased but in other efforts in the rig I started to realize like the home front. I have to much wireless going as well as so many other people.
My coach has wireless every where for every thing. I installed wireless HDMI from the Direct TV box to bed room for 1080P in there. Wireless phones. WIFI for computer network. Wireless for Ipods and Iphones.
So I started to wonder on which freq. bands the cameras were on and impacts.
Add the wire is already there for old just need to make new fit.

Finished yesterday my new flush mount camera housing. But a delay on one connector is holding me up.
As for old monitor hole a new panel to cover and mount to will be cut from a piece of UHMW plastic. This stuff is great to work with, treat it like a piece of wood. And a nice drak gray or black piece will make a cover to mount the new monitor.
Old 05-21-2013, 12:35 AM   #12
jr1

If replacing a hard wired system with a new one, they virtually all use a standard
s-video connectivity with power and audio built in. You can use the original cable from the rear cam. These are usually 4 pin DIN type, but all backshells are not necessarily compatible. If the mating connectors are different, go to RVCAMS.COM. They sell inexpensive converters. This is much simpler than running a new cable.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:57 AM   #13

My original camera had a short pigtail that connected to the cable that runs to the monitor up front.

I just unplugged the pigtail and removed the camera. I cut the pigtail off the old camera and hardwired it to the new camera, cutting off the connector of the new camera. Identifying the power and ground was easy as was the video feed.

I soldered all the connections and used heat shrink insulation and liquid tape to make everything waterproof. Its been working well for over a year, including many rainy travel days. The picture quality is excellent.
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
4 pin din and solder

Yep those 4 pin DIN are not universal. But any new system (wired) for RV or Truckers) have a extension cable included in the kit. So simply cutting a foot off each end of the DIN extension and crimping to a .068 Molex will mate nicely to the INTEC system of old.
My coast for two MOLEX connectors and pins was under $10 and mating connectors was already in the camera kit.
Clean professional adapter made simple.
I have posted the connector info on another post under INTEC camera mods.
If it wasn't for the weather and other pressing work I would posted the pictures of adapter and system install.

Tags
camera