Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2019, 07:51 PM   #1

Rear full width mud flap

On our 08 Endeavor we keep having sand and small gravel turn up on top of the coolant tank and both rear access areas are dirty. Clean them out and it come back in a few hundred miles Ours is a full flap is 4 or 5 inches off the ground with the standard polished name on it
Is it possible this flap is throwing stuff up that high. If removed would it effect the airflow to the radiator. It would seem some air should pile up behind it so maybe feed the engine fan
32hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #2

Remove the flap, IMO they are a waste of money, which would have been better spent installing mud flaps behind each set of duals.
Our MH came with one, however our MH is a Spartan side-radiator. There is no fan on the engine to blow dirt everywhere. If we make a trip to AK with the MH, I'll remove the flap before leaving home.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
With the full width mud flap on, my toad was getting pummeled with rocks ! I removed the vanity flap, lengthened the regular mud flaps and couldn’t be happier ! Have it hanging in the shop and have no interest in putting back on.
gnlandrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 08:41 AM   #4

Removed the flap during our Alaska trip since it was kicking up gravel whenever we went thru a frost heave repair.

When I got back to the lower 48 in hot weather I noticed the engine temp was higher than usual. Replaced the flap and the temps dropped 3-5 degrees.

Another reason for the flap is to deflect road debris from the tow car. On two occasions I have hit tire treads (could not avoid) and the flap saved the car. In both cases the flap was bent and required me removing it to beat it back in shape.

I believe in the flap enough to have bought a new one when the first one was damaged beyond repair!
Old 08-13-2019, 07:06 AM   #5

Yesterday, coming out of Mountain Home, ID, a trailer ahead of me carrying tree trimming debris lost a large mass of cuttings right in front of us. With nowhere to swerve, the left tires on our coach ran over a fair portion of the mass. In the mirror, I saw what looked like about a 2" diameter and three foot long branch fly off to the left, and a good 6 feet into the air. Our toad was grateful for the full width flap!! Inspection showed zero damage to either the motorhome or our car!

I might add that in the 2000's, Monaco put the full width flap on their coaches AS WELL AS wide mud flaps behind the tag tires. And I would have expected to see the cooling improvement that "XYDIAL" described for the same reason that cars today have "air dams", or some variance thereof to facilitate engine cooling. I seriously doubt if manufacturers put them there for that reason, but I would expect it to be a very real fringe benefit of having one. If the flap is kicking up rocks, perhaps it should be raised an inch, not just removed.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 07:20 AM   #6

I have had the fullwidth flaps on two diesels, and have not noted any issues with my towed vehicles. I have seen damage to the mud flaps from large debris. Had some steel wires from a road gator stuck in mine one time. They might have done some serious damage to the toad if they hit it. One legit concern is the sun reflection coming of them when the sun is behind the rv. If that happens, just back off or go around. I also have flaps right behind the wheels.
Old 08-14-2019, 05:26 AM   #7

Thanks to all for your comments We are going to raise it up a bit and leave it on.
Bill 08 Endeavor
32hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 07:34 AM   #8

IMHO that is a wise decision. Besides, they actually dress up your coach a bit when viewed from the rear.
K7JV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 11:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32hotrod View Post
Thanks to all for your comments We are going to raise it up a bit and leave it on.
Bill 08 Endeavor
Please excuse my ignorance but it seems to me if you raise the flap (More room between the end of the flap and the ground) you would get rocks etc landing on your toad higher on the vehicle. Up where paint, windshields etc could be damaged. I am saying that because if you follow trucks and see the ends of the flap worn away effectively raising the flap I get more rocks when I am following them.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I raised our a year or 2 ago. I no longer see rocks sitting on my toad like I used to. I think, because it doesn't drag on the ground like it used to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 32hotrod View Post
Bill 08 Endeavor
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:35 PM   #11

Our full width mud flap protected our toad from squirrel guts.
Worth every dime just for that.

You can change out the stainless piece for a custom design if you want something other than the coach name on it. I saw this one on the road made by Duraflap
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lady bug inn.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	277.7 KB
ID:	257173  
NRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 12:49 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjake1 View Post
I raised our a year or 2 ago. I no longer see rocks sitting on my toad like I used to. I think, because it doesn't drag on the ground like it used to.

I think they have a bit of a venturi effect with the air being forced downward (like a microburst?) and then forced through the small gap between the flap and the ground. Could be actually blowing the rocks up off the ground. Just my theory. Raising it a little may have lessened that in addition to of course not physically hitting them.
Old 08-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Removed mine a long time ago, due to how dirty my engine and battery compartment's were........for sure a lot better now. Never miss it for any reason.
Old 08-17-2019, 11:02 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Interesting! Could be. I might take mine off this year.... Like I need another project! Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceball View Post
I think they have a bit of a venturi effect with the air being forced downward (like a microburst?) and then forced through the small gap between the flap and the ground. Could be actually blowing the rocks up off the ground. Just my theory. Raising it a little may have lessened that in addition to of course not physically hitting them.
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote