RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #1

We are considering replacing our present DP with a new more upscxale unit. The diplomat as on my short list but when I looked up the specs on the Moanco webiste it showed a ISL with a rear rad. Somehow I thought all the Monaco products other than those with the 300 hp engines had side rads. Is that correct? If so Monaco/HR is the only mfr. I know with a 400 HP engine that still uses a rear rad. Would appreciate any info in this matter.

Moisheh

2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2007, 12:19 PM   #2

We are considering replacing our present DP with a new more upscxale unit. The diplomat as on my short list but when I looked up the specs on the Moanco webiste it showed a ISL with a rear rad. Somehow I thought all the Monaco products other than those with the 300 hp engines had side rads. Is that correct? If so Monaco/HR is the only mfr. I know with a 400 HP engine that still uses a rear rad. Would appreciate any info in this matter.

Moisheh

2009 Silverado Toad
Old 07-05-2007, 12:27 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
From what I understand, the Diplomat and "below" are all using rear-mounted radiators, and Camelot and "above" are using side-mounted rads. The Diplomat and Camelot both have 400HP ISL engines, but one with rear- and one with side-mounted radiators.

I have the 330HP ISC with the rear-mounted radiator in my Knight. IMO, if you are looking for a side-radiator, the Camelot is a very nice coach.

--kevin

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #4

I give up. Why the concern for a rear Vs side rad? I have the 330 Isc also on my Ambassador. Cooling problems??? s/Toby
Old 07-05-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Diplomat definitely has the rear radiator...if it really matters..

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 08:23 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Toby:
I give up. Why the concern for a rear Vs side rad? I have the 330 Isc also on my Ambassador. Cooling problems??? s/Toby </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This seems to be a highly debatable subject, but it appears the biggest argument I have read is accessibility to the engine. I also understand that the rear mounts are more prone to build up oil and gunk - and blockage - due to their position.

Hasn't mattered to me, as I have not needed to access belts and such. Yet. I am sure I will find side rads more desireable as soon as I have to change a belt - or pay to have one done

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:09 AM   #7

When we bought our entry level MH I was not hung up on a side rad. The rear rad has never caused us any real problems. BUT when it comes time to replace the fan belt it will be a big pain. Laying on top of the engine. Adjusting valves is also not fun. Most mfrs. use rear rad on the entry level units with either a C7 or an ISB. Monaco/HR is the only one I have ever seen with a high HP engine and a rear rad. Thx. for the replies.

Moisheh
2009 Silverado Toad
Old 07-06-2007, 05:06 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I had overheating problems with a rear radiator Safari and it had the little Cat 3126b engine. The trick seems to be to get a large enough radiator to do the job. After an extensive retrofit the Safari did a lot better but was never as cool as our side radiator Imperial. The other distinct advantages are the variable speed fans and easy cleaning of the side rads.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:33 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmmm, and here I thought the rear-radiator was a benefit when hooking up the tow-car in mucho-cold weather, since it provided a nice toasty source of heat out the back for my frozen fingers.

In all seriousness, I was aware of the side/rear debate, but other things took precedence when signing on the dotted-line and so I never gave it much thought after that.
I have never noticed either the engine or tranny temp(s) going over about 180-183, even when pulling 3500lb in Texas summer.
I also checked into the variable-speed fan add-on recently (but haven't gotten around to it ...yet), but Cummins said was only a 1 hour job so I'm figuring fan-access isn't too bad.

HTH

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:49 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I agree with Ron. I know there are people who swear by side radiators, but I've never had a problem with the rear radiator configuration on either coach I've owned. I do think the cooling shortcoming is more a factor of the radiator size than where it's located. I now have an ISL 400 Cummins with a huge rear radiator, and it seems to do a sufficient job of cooling.

You do have to pay more attention to cleaning a rear radiator, as it tends to pick up more dirt from the road, and, as Pusherpilot said, it can be a bit more of a pain to clean. On the up side, it doesn't take up a bay that could be used for storage or easy access to something else.
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 12:04 PM   #11

Had a 05 Diplomat, 40 PDQ, 400 ISL with a rear radiator. Never had any problems with it over heating. Even when in the 100's outside. In fact in the winter I felt it did to good of a job. Could never get really hot air out of the dash system. Maint was different. Had a leaking block heater and it took Cummins three hours to R/R it. It was a pain to get to from either the top or bottom.

On our 07 Camelot, 42 PDQ, 400 ISL it has the side radiator. No problems cooling or making heat in the cold weather. Haven't had to do any engine maint but it looks like it would be way simpler.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:53 PM   #12

Monaco had some radiator and CAC failure issues in the early 200x years. I know they had some vendor issues and some people had to shell out thousands of dollars to replace them unless they could get Monaco to do it. AFAIK, there was never an actual recall on them. I don't think this was specifically related to whether it was a side or rear radiator though. The key is to keep the rear mounted radiators clean. I use Simple Green sprayed on the inside and outside of the whole CAC/radiator unit and have never had any heating issues. My coach recently went through AZ with temps over 100 degrees with no problems with engine or trans temps and the dash air was running too. Some of the ISC engines and may be others had a "slobber tube" that was vented on the side of the engine near the oil pan. It's basically a crank case vent with no PCV valve. Some owners have installed home made containers out of PVC pipe to capture the oil that come out of this tube. The slobber tube goes into a section of the pipe that's capped on both ends and there's a vent built in. A petcock is installed in the bottom of the container to drain it through. Not sure if the newer coaches have these slobber tubes or not.

8.3L Cummins ISC
BIGRED1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 06:32 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BIGRED1:
Some of the ISC engines and may be others had a "slobber tube" that was vented on the side of the engine near the oil pan. It's basically a crank case vent with no PCV valve. Some owners have installed home made containers out of PVC pipe to capture the oil that come out of this tube. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My last coach had a slobber tube issue. The tube was cut shorter than the bottom of the rear radiator and the oil would get sucked up into the radiator. My fix was simply to get some rubber tubing to fit over the tube and extend it down well below the radiator. Much easier than remembering to empty a bottle.

Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote