RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Rear Sway Bar

I have a new 2009 HR Admiral 30 ft, and am not happy with the amount of lean I experience in corners. I am considering having a Roadmaster rear sway bar installed. I wonder if anyone has anything to report on that upgrade?

I-ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2009, 04:45 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by I-ramble View Post
I have a new 2009 HR Admiral 30 ft, and am not happy with the amount of lean I experience in corners. I am considering having a Roadmaster rear sway bar installed. I wonder if anyone has anything to report on that upgrade?

In addition to the sway bar, good quality shocks will also have to reduce lean. We installed Koni FSD's and they made a world of difference.

Bob

nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Jim
Koni helped mine. Denny
Old 10-17-2009, 12:52 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Jim - Not sure what chassis your Admiral is on, but we have a 2008 Monarch 33 SFS, on a Workhorse 22W chassis, so it's probably similar. We were more concerned about a rough, jarring ride than lean, so we've started with Koni FSD shocks on the front. In addition to helping with the rough ride they also made a difference for the lean/sway we had. We're planning to replace the rear OEM shocks with Koni's in a month or so (Christmas present to our motorhome!). Only after then will we consider the sway bar.

We started with the Koni's and are very glad we did, but it all depends on which perceived "problem" you want to fix. Good luck and let us know your experience if you go for the sway bar
Old 10-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Jim, I think you need to rule out weights, loading, air pressures and alignment first before committing to such a large expense.

As you use the term lean are you referring to yaw or roll? Both are addressed using different solutions.
DriVer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Bruce---I should have mentioned I have a Ford chassis. My previous M/H was a Rexhall Airbus also on a Ford chassis. This unit however is a foot taller, and a ton heavier, both of which I suspect contributes to the problem.

To DriVer---air pressure is up there, so don't think that is the problem.

_____
09 H/R Admiral 30ft Ford chassis
I-ramble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:13 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Jim,

We have an 09 Monarch 33SFS. We installed a front sway bar during our first trip. It made a world of difference. I was considering installing a rear bar but am satisfied with the current setup.

Randy
rrlirv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
F53 chassis respond very well to a rear Track Bars.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 04:05 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Old 11-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Del---when you refer to your last MH, what was that?

____
Jim Scott
09 H/R Admiral 30ft / Scion Xa toad
Old 11-16-2009, 07:34 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Del---when you refer to your last MH, what was that?

____
Jim Scott
09 H/R Admiral 30ft / Scion Xa toad
It was a 36' 2000 Monaco LaPalma on an F53 Ford Chassis.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like most suspension improvements, anti-sway bars are kind of expensive! For those who have replaced them already, if we wanted to start with only one (front or rear), which do you suggest we start with? We'd like to make improvements one step at a time rather than just doing it all at once. If a single improvement is enough we'd be happy to stop there!

2009 Monarch 33 SFS on a Workhorse W22 chassis. We've already replaced the original front shocks with Koni FSDs and were impressed with the improvement. We're still going to change out the rear shocks in the New Year but want to consider the following improvement as well.

Thanks for your experience!