RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Rear TV replacement

2005 Holiday Rambler 36skt. I have replaced my front tv and now on to the rear. I was wondering for those of you that have already done it, what brand and model tv did you use. I assume that the closest fit would be the best, less mods, and I really haven't found one that is close. Did anyone post any pics of their installation?

javpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2009, 01:27 PM   #2
JDT

Not sure if your tv is the same as mine on our 05 Ambassador, but it was a 20" RCA mounted in a cabinet that was hinged to let it swing out for viewing. It went out last year so replaced it this spring with a 26" Sony lcd. The swing out thing was mounted in the cabinet with 3 hinges. The old tv fit inside a framed opening which in our case was oak. I took the face framing out and replaced it with a solid piece of 3/4" oak that I glued up and cut to the size of the old frame. I used the panel to attach a wall mount bracket and then secured the tv to it. I also cut a small opening to allow for the hookups. Doing it this way let me use a larger tv as I was only limited by the width of the new panel.

I build furniture part time so I had the advantage of being able to do any woodworking needed. If you can't maybe you could have someone make the panel for you.

One more note, I did notice the tv vibrated a little more than I liked when underway because of the mounting bracket. I wedged a couple of small pieces of styrofoam between the back of the tv and the panel and no more vibration.

Jim

JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:40 PM   #3

javpop,
again not sure what you have there but I replaced mine in a 06 Endeavor with a 22in vizo. Fit perfect width wise. With the removeable frame all I needed was a chunk of alder I found at Menards and my stain was natural so very easy to do. I just screwed the peice of trim I bought to the existing top of the frame and I was done. Ok I had to brace the tv in place since the old clunker took up the entire opening space.

I shopped for tv's based on size to fit existing openings. Bought tv from Sams.

Ed
Old 10-31-2009, 06:26 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed S View Post
javpop,
again not sure what you have there but I replaced mine in a 06 Endeavor with a 22in vizo. Fit perfect width wise. With the removeable frame all I needed was a chunk of alder I found at Menards and my stain was natural so very easy to do. I just screwed the peice of trim I bought to the existing top of the frame and I was done. Ok I had to brace the tv in place since the old clunker took up the entire opening space.

I shopped for tv's based on size to fit existing openings. Bought tv from Sams.

Ed
Funny you should bring this up. I have a Vizo I purchased from Sams for this very purpose and the plan is to start the project this morning. Hope to have it completed before we do our Thanksgiving weekend campout. I don't have as much free time as some of you folks because I consult full time.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
javpop......I have the same 36SKT and have been looking at how to make this work and look nice. Nothing is going to fit well and look nice without a substantial amount of woodwork. The opening width is good, but the height is way too tall and will leave a big gap to make it look right.

Here's what I've decided to do. If you were to make a new door to cover that entire opening, it would have to be 23.5" tall x 27.5 wide. I'm going to have a door made 23.5" tall x 21.25" wide and attach it with the same hinges at the same location. This will leave you with an open area to the right of the door as you face it. I'm going to have another panel made 23.5" tall x 6" wide.

If you look into that cabinet, it's very deep. I'm going to mount a flat panel TV on a sliding tray that will slide out of the cabinet toward the front of the coach. On the front of this slide tray, I'll mount the narrower panel that I will have built. As yoo look at the finished product, you'll see the large door and a smaller solid panel side by side covering the entirew opening.

This idea sovled a lot of issues. There was a thickness issue with mounting the TV on the original framework, it interefered with the driver slide going in and out. The old setup really never allowed the TV to swing out far enough for optimal viewing. By mounting it on the slide, it keeps it close to the driver's slide and allows easier access around the bed. This design also alows for just about any size TV and opens up the rest of the cabinet for use.

I intend to block off the TV slide form the rest of the cabinet so the cabinet is useable. I will also be mounting a DVD player on the floor of the cabinet.

Hope you can picture this in your mind and it gives you some ideas.

Monaco use to make cabinet doors. I was going to call this week to see if they still will, or least get the color of my stain.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 10:15 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Take a look in "Logthumper's Photos" below, then in "Makeing it ours". Might give you some ideas.
Old 11-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #7

Javpop,
I am very familiar with changing TV's. Mine got fried a couple years ago and I replaced them. Then a couple months ago they were both stolen after a break in while in storage. If you TV is plugged into surround sound on the RV, before you throw that old one out remove the wire going from the speaker to the receptacle in the back. You should be able to unscrew it and remove the wires with a soldering iron. Take the new tv apart and drill a small hole in the back cover and put the receptacle in the hole after soldering it on to the speaker of the new tv. This will allow you to plug the sound back in from the RV.
billr30656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
I noticed your Porter Cable Air Compressor in one of the photos. How high of a PSI can you inflate a tire with this compressor? I am looking for one that will handle a class A tire without breaking the bank.
azloafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:06 PM   #9

our bed tv was mounted in the corner cab. we removed it, had doors made to match and ended up with a great storage cab. installed the new vizio where you see it. used our old cab. doors for the trim. works for us! jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0311a.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1746  
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
azloafer: Will pump up to 150psi. Does a great job.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I just posted mine using a 26"
Corvette Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #12

corvette man, where's the pics? jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 06:44 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
When I replaced our Bedroom TV I had to angle it down to get the picture bright from the Bed.

Dick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1810.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	46.9 KB
ID:	1782   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1812.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	1783  

Old 11-10-2009, 02:13 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverjim View Post
corvette man, where's the pics? jim
Beaverjim...You can find his pics at this thread....

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote