RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2007, 07:53 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since delivery, the Weldex rear view camera on my unit would intermittently blank out (white screen). It would flash for several seconds, then go out for a few minutes to a few hours. It did not seem related to vibration. Turning the power off would sometimes bring the picture back, but usually not. During a "white out", both side cameras and the audio from the rear worked fine. It did seem to be related to heat, as most of the problems occured in the summer. After four unproductive trips over 18 months to my dealer, the newest Service Mgr (they seem to change every 6 months) contacted Monaco and the third factory rep he talked to said that the problem was not unheard of and had been traced to overheated wiring. He suggested putting a resistor in the power wire from the monitor to the camera. Won't know for sure till next summer if this solves the problem, but if you have a camera that mysteriously blanks out...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2007, 07:53 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since delivery, the Weldex rear view camera on my unit would intermittently blank out (white screen). It would flash for several seconds, then go out for a few minutes to a few hours. It did not seem related to vibration. Turning the power off would sometimes bring the picture back, but usually not. During a "white out", both side cameras and the audio from the rear worked fine. It did seem to be related to heat, as most of the problems occured in the summer. After four unproductive trips over 18 months to my dealer, the newest Service Mgr (they seem to change every 6 months) contacted Monaco and the third factory rep he talked to said that the problem was not unheard of and had been traced to overheated wiring. He suggested putting a resistor in the power wire from the monitor to the camera. Won't know for sure till next summer if this solves the problem, but if you have a camera that mysteriously blanks out...

Old 11-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My '06 Monarch has just started doing the same thing - rear view goes away intermitantly. It seems to be related to loose/bad connection of the wire @ the monitor. I pulled the monitor out of the dash and was able to restore the picture by moving the wires. All connections seemed tight so may be a bad wire. My case is not heat related because, last Friday, I did not have a rear picture as soon as I started up my rig. I have not had it looked at by my dealer yet. Please let me know if you find a permanent soultion. Thanks, Dan.
EchoDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #4

I have had the same problem with my rear view camera (intermittent, white-out, wavy, etc.) from day one. Weldex replaced the monitor under warranty but the problem returned the next year (not much use). I've tried analyzing the symptoms for the cause (heat, cold, rain, condensation, vibration) but as yet nothing is consistant. I, too, pulled the monitor from the dash, fiddled with the wires, thought it helped for a bit, but it didn't.

I strongly suspect the problem is in the cable between the camera and the monitor, being either pinched, penetrated, poor wire or poor connection. I would pull a new cable if I thought I could. I'm not too keen on taking it in to the dealer to fix. They didn't impress me the first time it was worked on.

Hope someone out there has an answer.
staneva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:12 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Hmmmm.....yeesssss.......That very same thing happened to us the day before yesterday. A few minutes after we headed down the road. Intermittant fuzzy, wavy white outs. Sometimes through the whole picture but mostly not. Then it cleared up and went away for the rest of the trip. Strange, almost like bad TV reception. It's probably wire related. We'll see what happens today when we take off to Palm Springs "Outdoor Resort".

AKBrick
Old 11-27-2007, 08:38 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just back from a 12 hour trip. Camera worked flawlessly throughout. My problem was the picture from the rear suddenly and without warning disappearing, leaving a white screen on the monitor. Later, it would just as suddenly reappear. Wavy lines in the picture indeed sounds like bad connections. Monaco is the one who suggested adding the resistor. I won't declare a win till it goes through the summer without problems, though. Wonder what the electronic engineers in the crowd think of all this?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:13 PM   #7

I have a 05 LaPalma with same prob. from day one. dealer tryed to fix it. not. monaco tryed to fix it. not. my local guy tryed to fix it not.talked to monaco service tech. he told me that they are buliding a list of coaches that are haveing this problem and will make a decision on what to do. hopefuly not to long.If your not on the list get on it.I talked to a guy named Shawn. (sorry, this is in reference to backuo monitor problems)

two atv.s & Deuce Hauler trailer so i can take it all with me
leemax is offline   Reply With Quote