RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Rear Wheels in the air, is it OK?

Hello All,
I am at a new camp site here in Austin TX and it is not level. Had to set down the rear levelers so much that it lifted the rear tires on my Diplomat about 6 inches in the air. Is it OK not to have blocking under the rear tires? Will this bend the frame? I set the tires back down until I get some answers to my question as it really makes me nervous to see my rear tires up in the air. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2010, 09:58 AM   #2

Absolutely NOT OK!. Parking brake is on rear wheels only so once they get off the ground motor home will move and bend the jacks. Also, with that extreme leveling you may pop out or crack windshield.

arby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:04 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
You really don't want to lift the rear wheels off of the ground. Those are the wheels that are locked by the parking brake, and are the only things stopping you from rolling. With the rear wheels off the ground, the only thing keeping you in place is the friction between the jacks and the ground -- if the site is so unlevel that you have to raise the wheels that high, then it's unlevel enough for the jacks to slide on the ground. This sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

You really should put some blocking under those rear wheels so that they are still supporting some significant weight, in order to help keep you in position. And when supporting them, it's important that the rubber be fully supported, without having part of the tire hanging over the edge of the blocking.

If it were me, I would try to reposition the coach to make it more level, or ask for another site. Failing that, I would definitely build up some blocking under those rear wheels.

When you set up, did you fully deflate the air bags to get the front as low as possible? Also, if you just hit the automatic level button, maybe you'll have better luck with manual leveling? When I'm faced with very sloped sites, I find I can do much better with the manual controls than with the automatic mode.
Home base near Buffalo NY, often on the road to a dog show
ShapeShifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Like noted above, get some blocks under the rear tires and let them carry a lot of the weight. Your emergency brakes are only on the rear wheels.

Ken
Old 03-08-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Can you switch to a level site? If the site is that far off, I'd be asking for a new site.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:31 AM   #6

First off
The rear axle and cartage is now being supported by the shocks only.
Secondly Even when not off the ground and the rear axle supports only the weight of itself....around 1800 lbs......if the bags are blown down and levelers are down they support the entire coach weight except the front and rear axles and wheels..putting blocking under wheels carries no coach weight unless the bags are inflated....which they cant be, if your above the normal ride hight.....BUT raising wheels off the ground and hanging them on the shocks is never a good idea.
Think about it
pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the feedback. I was limited to site selection since I am a host here for 2 months and have been assigned a site. I did go out and get some blocks since it is not good to have wheels up in the air. I just wanted to confirm my thoughts with the Monaco community. I feel better being blocked up.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Hansville, did you level in Auto? Is all the air dumped before you leveled? Important questions because auto leveling can level the coach way too high and if you try to level without dumping the air to set the chassis down on the suspension trusses that even makes the situation worse. Everyone else has correctly pointed out that lifting the rear wheels off the ground is VERY BAD because they are the coach parking brakes.

After bad experience with Automatic leveling, it lifted the rear wheels off the ground like you have experienced, on our past 2007 Endeavor we only leveled in manual. Then only after fully dumping the coach air system, below 30 psi, and then using the air dump valves to dump the suspension air. I would make sure the coach was supported fully by the three jacks, look to make sure they are all contacting the ground, and stable and if I couldn't get it fully level without taking it too high then I would leave it as close as I could get. We were never so far off level that it caused a problem and we camped in some pretty non-level sites.

Our experience, which may be helpful.

Lew
Old 03-09-2010, 11:47 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks, I did not dump the air and I probably should have dumped before leveling. I am level now with the blocking.
Old 03-09-2010, 01:58 PM   #10

Easyest solution is to turn around in the site, that is if you have enough electric cable and hose.
Rayhough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Raising back wheels not a good idea. As several posts stated, the parking brake only on back wheels. I did that one time, and mh rolled forward and almost hit my toad, which was parked in front of mh.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:05 AM   #12

dajudge
How did your coach "roll"forward on leveling jacks.....just wandering here
.Also an air spring coach is a different dynamic than one with steel springs.If your jacks "fell over" you have a bigger problem than just getting level ....i believe

pipedream2 is offline   Reply With Quote