Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2017, 08:10 AM   #1

Refrigerator

2004 Endeavor 4 door Norcold

Last night I prepped the coach for my trip. At my storage garage all power outlets are 20 amp GFI outlets. I plugged my coach into these outlets when the coach is in storage. I turned on my refrigerator and the refrigerator defaulted to AC power. After about 30 minutes the GFI tripped. I re-set the GFI outlet several times and the outlet tripped. Tried another outlet no change. I then set the refrigerator to LP and the refrigerator ran fine. The GFI only will trip when the refrigerator is set to AC power.

There appears to be a ground fault within the refrigerator.

While on my trip.

1) Should I attempt to run the refrigerator at the campground on a non GFI power source?
2) Should I attempt to run the refrigerator on AC using the generator?
3) Should I only run the refrigerator on LP only?
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I'd run on LP only.

If it's tripping the GFI, then current that is going out positive leg, isn't coming back on the neutral leg, and is finding an alternative path to ground. That typically means it is shorting out to the frame somehow. The case becomes a big resistor to ground, and will have some amount of voltage on it. This can become a dangerous situation for you or loved ones.

Could be the defrosting element, and if you want to try taking the refrig apart to unplug that, that's what I'd try if I was immediately going on a trip. Unplug that, wrap the power ends so they don't jostle around and touch anything while in motion, plug it back in and see if it still trips breaker. You could pick up the defrost element wiring at either the timer, or the element itself.

If I couldn't get ground fault eliminated before trip, I'd run on LP.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:24 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert T View Post

Last night I prepped the coach for my trip. At my storage garage all power outlets are 20 amp GFI outlets. I plugged my coach into these outlets when the coach is in storage. I turned on my refrigerator and the refrigerator defaulted to AC power. After about 30 minutes the GFI tripped. I re-set the GFI outlet several times and the outlet tripped. Tried another outlet no change. I then set the refrigerator to LP and the refrigerator ran fine. The GFI only will trip when the refrigerator is set to AC power.

While on my trip.

1)Should I attempt to run the refrigerator at the campground on a non GFI power source?

2)Should I attempt to run the refrigerator on AC using the generator?

3)Should I only run the refrigerator on LP only?

Not sure about your MH, but mine does not get along well with GFI source outlets. Try plugging into a non-GFI outlet and see if that fixes the problem.
KarlH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:31 AM   #4

Quote:

While on my trip.

1) Should I attempt to run the refrigerator at the campground on a non GFI power source?

I'd see if the generator works?
If not then LP will be the option
Might be time to begin the search for the Residential replacement.

Mine gave up on all points this winter So it's time for the Samsung? Samsung 33 in. W 17.5 cu. ft. French Door Refrigerator in Stainless Steel, Counter Depth-RF18HFENBSR - The Home Depot

Will go on sale most of the year for $999.00 - if not on sale they will deal to the $999 price.

Long and short if it works on the generator it Works.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:38 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

While on my trip.

try plugging the fridge into another gfi outlet, could be a faulty GFI
Old 05-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #6
JFC

Monaco Owners Club
I had "all of the above" problems with the Norcold in my 2007 Scepter before I replaced it. First it started tripping the GFI and dealer found a frayed wire behind the unit. Later it started tripping the GFI again. This time only after a period of time. Turned out the ice maker had a problem when it went to dump the ice. Unplugged the ice maker until it could be replaced. Finally, it stopped working on AC, LP only. After that trip I replaced it with a Samsung. No problem in years.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlH View Post
Not sure about your MH, but mine does not get along well with GFI source outlets. Try plugging into a non-GFI outlet and see if that fixes the problem.
That's what I've heard.

Tags
refrigerator