Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2017, 12:46 PM   #1

Refrigerator Woes

Our 08 Dynasty came factory equipped with a Jenn Air side by side. I almost did not buy this MH as some of the older high end units with house fridges had lost of problems. Older fridges were energu hogs and they killed the batteries. Fortunately my salesman was good guy who really knew is Monacos. He showed me the 8-6 volt battery bank and the inverter . I was sold! I would never go back to a propane fridge. The JenAir has worked flawlessly. Cools down quickly and the beer is cold and the ice cream rock hard. We have not used the Dynasty since April and on Thursday I started the fridge so we could load it for our trip to Mexico. 2 hours later the fridge was still cold. I panicked. Can a serviceman access all the controls, relays, etc. from the rear? What if the fridge has to come out? Would it go through a window? How many Gorillas would it take? I took off the outside body panel that filled the old vent hole. Removed the rear fridge cover and the compressor was exposed. If it needed replacement there was room to work on that part. I called a serviceman and he came out yesterday. The compressor was running. He installed a self taping fitting on one of the lines and there was no suction . Next he went inside and removed the rear panels of the freezer compartment exposing the Evaporator coil. He is to return today or tomorrow with a repair kit. He claims this is a common problem and has had good success with a repair. But here is the interesting part. If the fridge were in a house he would recommend a complete new unit. New appliances are not built to last. You fix one thing and a few months later another part goes. In no time you can spend more than the value of the fridge. He mentioned that some units have part of the coil in the wall of the fridge. If mine were built that way the fridge would have to come out! He also mentioned that some makes are worse than others. LG being rock bottom. My fridge fits in a tight hole. Installing a new one would require a cabinet maker! (not me). I think the Samsung that everyone buys has coils in the wall. I will say that a propane replacement fridge is always available in the same size. Wish me luck and I will report back when the job is done.

moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2017, 07:02 PM   #2

Fridge is fixed and running!! Life is good!

Moisheh

moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 07:44 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Fridge is fixed and running!! Life is good!

Moisheh
Awesone news!
Captjake1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 08:41 PM   #4

I have the same fridge in my 08 Dynasty. What part was replaced?

BTW, I use the vacation setting when dry camping overnight. This prevents an energy wasting defrost cycle when running on battery power.

Frank M
08 Dynasty
Old 09-24-2017, 09:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Our 08 Dynasty came factory equipped with a Jenn Air side by side. I almost did not buy this MH as some of the older high end units with house fridges had lost of problems. Older fridges were energu hogs and they killed the batteries. Fortunately my salesman was good guy who really knew is Monacos. He showed me the 8-6 volt battery bank and the inverter . I was sold! I would never go back to a propane fridge. The JenAir has worked flawlessly. Cools down quickly and the beer is cold and the ice cream rock hard. We have not used the Dynasty since April and on Thursday I started the fridge so we could load it for our trip to Mexico. 2 hours later the fridge was still cold. I panicked. Can a serviceman access all the controls, relays, etc. from the rear? What if the fridge has to come out? Would it go through a window? How many Gorillas would it take? I took off the outside body panel that filled the old vent hole. Removed the rear fridge cover and the compressor was exposed. If it needed replacement there was room to work on that part. I called a serviceman and he came out yesterday. The compressor was running. He installed a self taping fitting on one of the lines and there was no suction . Next he went inside and removed the rear panels of the freezer compartment exposing the Evaporator coil. He is to return today or tomorrow with a repair kit. He claims this is a common problem and has had good success with a repair. But here is the interesting part. If the fridge were in a house he would recommend a complete new unit. New appliances are not built to last. You fix one thing and a few months later another part goes. In no time you can spend more than the value of the fridge. He mentioned that some units have part of the coil in the wall of the fridge. If mine were built that way the fridge would have to come out! He also mentioned that some makes are worse than others. LG being rock bottom. My fridge fits in a tight hole. Installing a new one would require a cabinet maker! (not me). I think the Samsung that everyone buys has coils in the wall. I will say that a propane replacement fridge is always available in the same size. Wish me luck and I will report back when the job is done.
Moisheh Hi there glad to hear you are back up and running, do you happen to have any pictures of your install that you could share ? I would like to see your Jenn Air install .

Tags
refrigerator