RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2018, 01:11 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Removal of Norcold

Help on getting the old fridge out of 2003 Monico Diploma will it go out the door ? Thinking of replace with residential fridge any suggestions?

fulltime2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2018, 01:14 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Often removal of the drivers side window makes a hole for the old and new unuts to pass through.

Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 01:32 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I removed the Norcold doors first. The Norcold is well over 200 lbs, so removing the doors helps reduce the weight also.
Then removed the passenger chair (4 bolts) and laid it over backwards. Then removed the door retainer (2 screws) and tied the door back against the mirror. Also if you have an entry grab bar remove it (4 screws).
It still took two guys to carry it out, but it works.

I ordered a new Samsung RF18 from Home Depot with free delivery. The delivery guys removed the doors on it and brought it inside and set it up right next to the fridge compartment. I gave them a tip and everyone was happy.

Link install thread:
Is it possible to fit a Samsung RF18 in through the front door

vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltime2010 View Post
Help on getting the old fridge out of 2003 Monico Diploma will it go out the door ? Thinking of replace with residential fridge any suggestions?
I took the door off complete with jamb. I don't recommend this as I tore some of my the dash leather. Through the right side window seems to be what most people are most successful with. It helps to take all of the plumbing off the back of the refrigerator.
79cvx20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:22 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I took the doors off and removed the plumbing then cut it in half with a sawzall.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #6

Be very careful if you are comptating cutting into the old Norcold. The gas in the tubes can cause a lot of health problems and make a mess. Best to remove the cooling unit without cutting into it.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 09:04 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just removed our 1200 NC. Got it out via the front entrance door. Had a 1/2 inch to spare. Took off the 4 doors then disconnected the entrance door upper arm and tied off to the exterior mirror so it would be full open. Also had to take off the step hand rail. Not a bad job, just take your time. Going with a RR but haven't picked out one yet.
Chuck and Robbin Harrison....plus 2 PB and a G Pyrenees Max,Zenie and Smokie ! 1998 38' Monaco Dynasty Duke with a 8.3 Cummins. Everyday truck is a 2010 F150 XLT 4x4 and 2016 Ford Escape. TOAD is 2004 VW Bug Conv.
Migkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 06:47 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
What model fridge are you trying to remove? I had a Norcold 9182. After removing the doors and the coils from the back, I removed the screen door and was able to get it out the front door without any problem.

What size fridge do you want to replace it with?
Towing 2014 Ford Explorer
veraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:01 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Or you can replace the cooling unit with a 12v DC compressor cooling unit from RC refrigeration. No Affiliation, I just saw it being done on youtube.
Timaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:26 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Some coaches are much easier to remove the frig out the door - It depends on the TV cabinet, ceiling height & dash configuration -- I`ve removed 5 RV frigs, & 3 went out the door & 2 out a side window using a fork lift -- One of those out the out the door should have went out a window -- Would have been much easier -- I live in Gilbert AZ , if you want to drive up from Florence, I`ll look at it -- Then when you want to change your frig, you`ll have a better idea on how to go about it -- I`m less than 50 miles away, & no charge -- phone 480-540-7377 --- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:37 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
I took the doors off and removed the plumbing then cut it in half with a sawzall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Be very careful if you are comptating cutting into the old Norcold. The gas in the tubes can cause a lot of health problems and make a mess. Best to remove the cooling unit without cutting into it.
I took the cooling unit out first. Most of the weight in the Norcold is in the plumbing.
Old 12-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
Quote:
I took the cooling unit out first. Most of the weight in the Norcold is in the plumbing.
I saw where you had removed your plumbing first, and that is the best safe way to do it. My comment, which was inspired by your comment, was meant to be a general to all comment. Sorry for the confusion.
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:32 PM   #13

I hate to ask this question cause it could influence me into spending a chunk of change. Oh well here goes.....I am the second owner of a 2004 Monaco Camelot. Garaged itís entire life and all the right maintenance. The Norcold works great. All recalls have been taken care of and the original owner put a ARP device on it and it works. Shut the unit off when I forgot it was on and made my decent out of my 15% grade drive way. Soooo, Iím wondering when too old should be the main replacement reason, even though it runs fine. Plus, I do not want a residential fridge. I have read that some have replaced the Norcold compressor and other system parts with a whole different type of system. I forgot the name. Does anyone think Iím playing Russian Roulette by maintaining my Norcold?
DaveBunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 10:36 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Full time,

I have a 2006 Camelot and the old Norcold 1200 went out the front door. The new Samsung RF 18 also came in through the front door. It was tight, but they both just fit.

As others have said, remove the doors and make the the unit as light as possible because it is surprisingly heavy.

I removed both front seats. I covered the steering wheel and all of the dash with padded moving blankets to protect them. I removed the grab handles on both sides of the entry door. I also removed the passenger side camera so that the entry door could be swung open and tied to the side mirror.

Two of us carried the old fridge out, and four guys carried the new refrigerator in.

I also used a heavy duty drop cloths / tarps to protect the floors and couches. The old unit was very dusty on the back side and all of that dust was brought into the pristine coach, so be prepared to make a mess. Having a shop vac handy is a good idea.

I utilized an modified ATV jack to raise and lower the refrigerator into place which worked perfectly.

The conversion is not hard, but it is time consuming.

Someone on the forum told me to save all of the plastic storage trays, and door trays from the old refrigerator, and Iím sure glad I did.

Hope this helps,

Jim

zo66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold, removal