Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2009, 08:21 PM   #1

Remove couch replace with chair/desk?

We have an 01 Dynasty with a J Lounge behind the passenger seat. The wife is asking if it can be removed and replaced with a recliner (euro type) chair. She also asked if a small desk/end table thingy could be made and placed beside the chair.

I have heard of owners of other brands doing that but have not seen anything about Monaco coaches. Has anyone done this or know where it could be done? The only problem I see is the vent coming out in front of the couch would have to be removed and relocated in the galley wall. I am going on the assumption there is carpet underneath the couch.

Thanks
Wayne
01 Dynasty

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It can be done easily. Davis Cabinets in Junction City, Oregon are masters at this. You can google them and view many examples of their work online. They will perfectly match wood , finish, hardware, and corion. They have done outstanding custom work on our last two coaches.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:41 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
The other thing you have to think about is if the slide if you have one is raised or not. If it is raised they you will have a problem placing a chair and such in it because there is limited space to do so. On the other hand you might be able to do the same on the driver side of the coach because it is not raised.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
We also have an 01 Dynasty and took the J couch out and replaced it with a Euro recliner...we went to the local furniture store and bought a lane for $600 instead of the RV types for $1200. Works great, and there is plenty of room for a small desk or shelves between the recliner and the passangers seat if we wanted one. The dealer I bought the rig from took it out, and they had to dismantle it to get it through the door...we originally had two chairs, but took one out because it was too crowded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	247  
teofff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bench View Post
It can be done easily. Davis Cabinets in Junction City, Oregon are masters at this. You can google them and view many examples of their work online. They will perfectly match wood , finish, hardware, and corion. They have done outstanding custom work on our last two coaches.
Anyone know of a good company for this kind of work in the Northeast? (Or anywhere within 800 miles or so of Pennsylvania?)
Robin_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Robin, I'm sure there many places in Elkhart IN. I'll be going through there in the next two weeks, I'll look. maybe Brad & Hall.

Drifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:45 PM   #7

I have a 2009 beaver contessa with the desk and dinning room set that I am taking out to put in a j-lounge and a dinette. I am in Orange County, CA. I have no idea what I am going to do with it. Send me a PM if you are interested. I was thinking about offering it up on ebay.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:46 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Mike, Yes that would likely be true. I didn't think of that. Elkhart is about a 10 hour drive from where I live in Eastern PA. Would be a nice trip to go there in better times.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Brad and Hall will fix you right up. Nice Quality. Local Made and excellent match. Cherry is hard to match. Darkens with age.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Wayne,
We also replaced the J lounger on the curb side slideout with a single recliner made by Palliser. Looks a lot like the recliner shown above in Bruce's post. Part of the base was over the edge of the slide on our Endeavor so I placed a little throw rug to level it out. We found a little 10" X 10" folding table that works fine as an end table. You will need to totally disassemble the J lounger to get it out of the coach. Good new is that we sold the J lounger the first day on Craigslist and the proceeds paid for the recliner. Most uncomfortable excuse for a lounger I have ever seen.

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_M View Post
Anyone know of a good company for this kind of work in the Northeast? (Or anywhere within 800 miles or so of Pennsylvania?)
Rob,
You should be able to find a local cabinet maker to build a desk for you. When I took out our J lounger I considered a desk and got quotes from 2 or 3 local guys and none thought it was a big deal to build and install one. I decided not to install a desk, reminded me too much like work. Since I bought a MSI Wind NetBook I don't even use the dining table and the small printer is wireless and fits easily in an overhead cabinet and the paper feeds out the front of the printer. A desk would be usful however if I still worked and needed file space, etc.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:29 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Wayne yes I have done that to a 99 dip, I also had to deal with the studs sticking up out of the floor that the seat belts attach to also there will be 2 lag bolts on each end of the couch that will need to be removed, the couch can be taken apart so its not a big deal to remove out the front door.

Walt 2000 dyn
2015 Kia Soul 6 speed manual
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixpack98 View Post
Rob,
You should be able to find a local cabinet maker to build a desk for you. When I took out our J lounger I considered a desk and got quotes from 2 or 3 local guys and none thought it was a big deal to build and install one. I decided not to install a desk, reminded me too much like work.
Mark,

You're probably right about a local cabinet maker. I know what you mean about the desk reminding you of work though. Still, I use the computer a lot, and now I've always got stuff scattered about the dinnette table.

Suz and I both have laptops connected to the internet and each other via a wireless network in the coach. We also have a small wireless printer on the network, but we seldom get it out because we haven't found a suitable place for it, other than the front deck, and that's kind of a pain unless we are parked for quite a while in one place.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:50 PM   #14

I was trying to attach a photo of the lounge but can't paste it here. It doesn't have any seat belts, just an a/c vent out the bottom (vent probably comes from under the galley). The floor is flat, no slide there.

teoff: Our layout is similar to yours. The slide behind the driver is 33" deep. How deep is yours? Behind the passenger seat we wanted a 10 - 12" wide credenza under the window and would like a chair very much like the one in your photo.

Many of the Allegro owners use a former Tiffin employee in Red Bay, Alabama, but he has not worked on a Monaco before. Does good quality work though. Was hoping to find someone closer to Georgia than Oregon (grin).

***willis: Why are all the folks with what I could use are always on the west coast?