Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-20-2018, 11:46 PM   #1

Remove Unused Dash A/C Compressor Belt?

Hello All,

The dash air on our 2003 Windsor works very poorly at best. When we need a/c when travelling we just run the roof air.

Would there be any problem with removing the a/c compressor belt? We don't need or use the dash air anyway.

Are there any pros or cons to removing the a/c compressor belt? It is a separate belt to the serpentine belt.

Irishguy
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 12:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
No problem on mine! I took mine off for the same reason! Rail!

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail (Motor in Mona).jpg
Views:	130
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	196173
Old 03-21-2018, 06:50 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
Hello All,

The dash air on our 2003 Windsor works very poorly at best. When we need a/c when travelling we just run the roof air.

Would there be any problem with removing the a/c compressor belt? We don't need or use the dash air anyway.

Are there any pros or cons to removing the a/c compressor belt? It is a separate belt to the serpentine belt.

Irishguy

As far as you poor a/c cooling from your front chassis a/c?

Have you shut off the water going thru the heater core?

The water control valve for the heater core not shutting off the hot water flow thu the heater core is a common problem reported here @ iRV2 and if the problem it will diminish the a/c cooling effect to almost nothing in many cases.

You may want to try that first ..it's a fairly common problem and there some very easy and cheap work around's if that is the problem.

Clamp off one of the coolant lines to the heater core so that no water can flow thu it. Then take for a test drive and see if this fixes your a/c poor performance issue.

If so? buy a $ 3.99 ball valve shut off valve and install it ..... and shut the water flow off in the summer months

This only applies assuming that the a/c is charged correctly and that the other system components are functioning as designed.

Without seeing you're belt setup it's hard to say.... but most likely no problem with removing the belt.

That said.... I also see no benefit to removing the belt ...but that can be debated at length Im sure.

Happy Trails
Old 03-21-2018, 08:04 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRoy View Post
I also see no benefit to removing the belt ...but that can be debated at length Im sure.Happy Trails
No reason to spin the compressor bearing if it isn't used.

For a handy person A/C repairs are relatively inexpensive but some climates don't justify the expense.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #5

Thanks all,

It would be nice to have working a/c at the dash but not necessary. When the sun is blasting through that big windshield while travelling down the highway it is nice to supplement the roof air but doesn't happen that often.

I will have to see if there is a shutoff for the heater core. I have never thought to look or even consider that issue. Not quite sure where to look though.

Other wise I will probably just remove the belt.

Irishguy
Old 03-21-2018, 02:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I had to install a vacuum operated hot water shutoff on our Windsor. The original one just would not stop the hot coolant flow.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 01:52 PM   #7

Hi Irishguy; I agree with RobRoy that a look into the blending valve on the firewall in the generator compartment should be inspected. I had mine stick in the full open position letting hot coolant be run through the heater core all the time. With the engine up to full temp., run your heat control up to full hot and feel the hoses going to the heater core. Now turn temp all the way down to cold. Wait a few minutes and fell hoses again. Should be much cooler. If not, I would say that the coolant blend valve is stuck in the full open position and this would make the dash A/C seem not to be cooling properly. My dash A/C works great on my 01 Windsor. Also one thing that I have found to increase the cooling of the dash A/C is to run it in the Max A/C position. This position closes the door on the plenum so out side air is not introduced into the coach. I find that this setting cools better. I have known for years that dash A/C systems should always be exercised once a month for at least 10 minutes to keep the component's of the system lubricated as well as the O rings. A lot of systems loose refrigerant due to being inactive. I have done this since owning my first vehicle that had A/C with good results over the last 50+ years. As to your question, if you want to remove the belt, go for it. Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to let others know what has worked for me. Everyone have a great weekend!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 02:43 PM   #8

Have you charged the A/C dryer, this is the main cause for poor dash air performance.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 11:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8.3Oilbuner View Post
Hi Irishguy; I agree with RobRoy that a look into the blending valve on the firewall in the generator compartment should be inspected. I had mine stick in the full open position letting hot coolant be run through the heater core all the time. With the engine up to full temp., run your heat control up to full hot and feel the hoses going to the heater core. Now turn temp all the way down to cold. Wait a few minutes and fell hoses again. Should be much cooler. If not, I would say that the coolant blend valve is stuck in the full open position and this would make the dash A/C seem not to be cooling properly. My dash A/C works great on my 01 Windsor. Also one thing that I have found to increase the cooling of the dash A/C is to run it in the Max A/C position. This position closes the door on the plenum so out side air is not introduced into the coach. I find that this setting cools better. I have known for years that dash A/C systems should always be exercised once a month for at least 10 minutes to keep the component's of the system lubricated as well as the O rings. A lot of systems loose refrigerant due to being inactive. I have done this since owning my first vehicle that had A/C with good results over the last 50+ years. As to your question, if you want to remove the belt, go for it. Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to let others know what has worked for me. Everyone have a great weekend!
I'm definitely going to check that out...that would be an easy fix if that is the issue. Unfortunately our MH is currently surrounded by a 5 foot snow bank. The March weather in Western Canada has not been kind this year. Hopefully it smartens up as we are planning on a two week trip later next month.

Irishguy
Old 03-24-2018, 11:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rburian View Post
Have you charged the A/C dryer, this is the main cause for poor dash air performance.
That is something I haven't done. We bought our MH two years ago and the previous owner said the dash a/c didn't work. I don't want to spend too much money and time on it but may try that route.

Irishguy
Old 03-24-2018, 02:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
That is something I haven't done. We bought our MH two years ago and the previous owner said the dash a/c didn't work. I don't want to spend too much money and time on it but may try that route.

Irishguy

In fifty years of dealing with mobil a/c I've yet to see the receiver dryer as a "Common" cause of a/c major performance issues ...not that the receiver dryer should not be changed any time the a/c is opened ...because it should.

But I myself have never seen it be a major measurable issue........ unlike the water control valve that when it fails it REALLY hinders the a/c performance and has a very high failure rate as reported here at iRV2

Im not looking for an argument just trying to see you head down a logical path. Assuming the rest of your a/c is working correctly you can take a pair of these Click image for larger version

Name:	038548506661.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	236.1 KB
ID:	196608and pinch off a heater hose take you steed for a ride and know if the water control valve is leaking and is your problem.

Or you can evacuate you a/c syatem replace the receiver dryer pull the system into a vacuum the re-charge the a/c system and see if it repaired?...your choice.

You probably have a pair of wood clamps lying around the house so ...it doesn't get any simpler and cheaper to check. The other option is at best a guess a pricey as in comparison.

Also something important that hasn't been mentioned here ( or I didnt see it) is that when you by-pass your a/c ( via cutting the belt off or otherwise) you lose the de-humidifying effect when in the defrost mode ....... in most cases not a issue, but once in that right climate conditions and trying to navigate thu the mess on your windshield you will wish you had the system working correctly ......because reaching to wipe off the windshied on your car while driving is one thing..............good luck reaching that windshied on your coach while driving .

Happy Hunting

" I'll take bad water control valve for $100.00 Alex "
Old 03-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #12

Thanks RobRoy, I am a fan of trying the simple and easy first so will try that.

I definitely don't want to lose the dehumidifying for the window defrost. Up here in Canada that is something one may need.
Old 03-24-2018, 04:19 PM   #13

I still would check the ac dryer, two of my MH, had poor dash ac, after changing the dryer, major improvement. It’s not an expensive repair.
Rburian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #14

I agree with RobRoy, also a lot of AC/Heating systems are designed to operate together ,when in the defrost mode it is designed to run Ac compressor to draw the moisture out of the air so windows do not fog up. Also in this operation the AC compressor runs and keeps the seals lubricated to help prevent losing Freon in the winter or so it goes for newer model cars and trucks. MOTOR HOMES ????? The receiver/dryer takes the moisture out of the freon and should be replaced if system is opened up. RobRoy can corret me if I left anything out. thanks keeney
keeney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compressor, dash