Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2016, 03:34 PM   #1

Removing Front 3M Film

Has anybody ever tried removing the front protective film with a pressure washer starting at the edges?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2016, 04:38 PM   #2

Please do not do this as the paint will come off. I recently had to replace my 3 m film due to a collision .

I removed some myself and the shop removed the rest. I had success by using some heat from a heat gun on low and peeling back in very small pieces.

At times I was able to peel enough back and was able to grab onto a piece and pull on it while using some heat and remove a large piece.

Be careful!! If too much heat is used the film becomes brittle and or the paint will lift.

It will take at least 12 to 16 hours to get this film off. A 30% chance that some paint will peel.

If you trying to hide a worn out film,I would suggest purchasing a vinyl bra and the old film would prevent chaffing of the cover on the front cap.
Robert T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 05:57 PM   #3

Thanks, but I know how to take it off with heat and/or steams do have done that before. So I don't need to cover that procedure again. There are many posts on it The question was if anyone has tried a pressure washer using a wide angle nozzle and low pressure. No theories if it will take the paint off or not. I need to know if anybody has tried it
Old 03-17-2016, 06:01 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I used a good size steamer, working in a small area. I would use the steamer in conjunction with heavy plastic scraper. Sometimes I could heat & scrape ~1/2 wide strip for 10-12 inches.

After I got a ~2' X 2' area free of the mask I worked on getting the adhesive off. I found straight gasoline worked the best. My wife had puppy training pads in the coach, absorbent on one side, I'd pour gas on the absorbent side and the lay it across the area I wanted to clean and wait a couple minutes. I could then scrape the adhesive off.

It took me ~40 hours to take my 3M mask off. I only had a couple place where the paint came off, mostly caused by rock chips.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 06:56 PM   #5

Please, don't want to know other ways to take it off. I amtrying to find out if anybody has tried a pressure washer to peel it off
Old 03-17-2016, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
Please, don't want to know other ways to take it off. I amtrying to find out if anybody has tried a pressure washer to peel it off
So who has anyone hired to do the job
Dupdyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:06 PM   #7

American Coach Owners Club
Mike-- I don't think a pressure washer will do the job your looking for, I remove mine every 4 to 5 yrs or so with a Heat Gun.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 10:10 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Yes , we are in the process of taking ours off with a commercial, heated pressure washer. Yes it does take the paint too, but it does strip the mask off. We will repair and NEVER EVER put another one on!
Old 03-17-2016, 10:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post

Mike the long and short of the process in NASCAR we used to use the 3M mask to protect the front from the tires balls that hit and mark the front. ( this is when we use to paint the cars) now we do overlays. The pressure washer will work with heat, it will take the paint too. If you repainting you would care right. If your not it will be a mess. If you that way. If we had to remove from hood edge and front valance we used a heat gun. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ
Old 03-18-2016, 03:16 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupdyke View Post
So who has anyone hired to do the job
We used these folks in January:
Florida Applied Films – Tampa, FL – HOME

Two guys took off the front mask in a little less than two hours using two commercial wall paper removers and about 100 plastic razor blades. They had something they sprayed on and wiped the glue off. When they finished the paint looked like new. I could not believe how good it looked. They would not tell me what was in the spray bottle to remove the old glue.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:10 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodine View Post
We used these folks in January:
Florida Applied Films – Tampa, FL – HOME

Two guys took off the front mask in a little less than two hours using two commercial wall paper removers and about 100 plastic razor blades. They had something they sprayed on and wiped the glue off. When they finished the paint looked like new. I could not believe how good it looked. They would not tell me what was in the spray bottle to remove the old glue.

Bob
Bob,
What did they charge?
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 04:46 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Bob,
What did they charge?
PM sent.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 02:52 PM   #13

I'd also like a ballpark number of what it costs to have the film removed. I have a vinyl bra to cover the mess up but I'd like for it to be gone.

Mike
MikeandJan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:32 AM   #14

I had this done a few months ago by Dazleing Detail out of florida. It was 750 to remove and 750 to reinstall.This included repainting the damage. I chose to reinstall because if it last another 10 yrs I wont need to worry about it. The new film is 4th generation. Why is it no one wants to post the price they paid for something????

Jim E
06 exec
bigjim8499 is offline   Reply With Quote