RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Repair or replace Sealand Dometic Magnum Opus toilet

Hello, yes our toilet is giving trouble again!! I would like to replace either the complete flushing mechanism (all but the China toilet itself), or the complete toilet. Do you know of the best place to get either of the above.
I believe the toilet model number is a 3110 (not sure though).
Thanks in advance !
LSBEH 🤔

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I downloaded and read through the manual for your toilet. It seems needlessly complicated. My toilet has a foot pedal to fill the bowl and flush, no motors, tanks, sensors, etc. If yours is failing to operate properly, be aware simpler toilets are out there and work pretty reliably. By the way, your model and the simpler one I have both have the same rounded gate with a seal, the most important part to keep clean and operational.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:07 AM   #3

We have a Magnum Opus as well, and really like it. It is not made anymore and most of the parts are unavailable. There are no control boards, unless you find a person who has one, no more porcelain bodies either. We dread the day our's finally dies. The ability to set the water level and the quietness is superb, love to know why they decided to quit producing that toilet.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the replies gentlemen!!
I wonder if the Sealand Dometic people have a current (new model) replacement for the old toilet we like ?
I have been in a few new MH manufactured by Newmar, Entegra, Rev, etc and did not pay attention to the toilets....I wonder what they are using ?
Once we get this behind us we can talk about and enjoy more pleasant topics
Till then......
LSBEH 🚐
Old 07-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSBEH View Post
Hello, yes our toilet is giving trouble again!! I would like to replace either the complete flushing mechanism
LSBEH 🤔
What problems are you having?
If the circuit board is good (i.e. something else is wrong with toilet) and you replace the entire toilet - there is a market for your used circuit board. I've seen these used boards listed for several hundred dollars in the classified section.
Old 07-19-2018, 09:37 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Toilet trouble

Thanks for the reply Mike....the trouble I'm having is the seal that holds water in the bowl doesn't hold any more. The last time this happened I took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it, and it worked for a couple of years. I'm sure not only does the seal need replacing, but the mechanicals are getting wore out. The bowl itself is ok, and the electronics are ok as well. I'm finding a few of the parts may be available individually, but complete assemblies or kits are not.
I'm working with the folks at Western Marine...does anyone know of other dealers or parts people that may have parts in stock, as many of them are now obsolete from the manufacturer?
Also does anyone know what model toilet is the direct replacement (current model) from Sealand Dometic?
Thanks
LSBEH 🤔
Old 07-19-2018, 10:42 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Thanks for the reply Mike....the trouble I'm having is the seal that holds water in the bowl doesn't hold any more. The last time this happened I took it apart, cleaned it, lubed it, and it worked for a couple of years. I'm sure not only does the seal need replacing, but the mechanicals are getting wore out. The bowl itself is ok, and the electronics are ok as well. I'm finding a few of the parts may be available individually, but complete assemblies or kits are not.
I'm working with the folks at Western Marine...does anyone know of other dealers or parts people that may have parts in stock, as many of them are now obsolete from the manufacturer?
Also does anyone know what model toilet is the direct replacement (current model) from Sealand Dometic?
Thanks
LSBEH ��
If the only issue is the seal failing after, "a couple of years" not sure a new toilet will work any better. Do you use the RV 12 months a year or winterize it and leave it part of the year? The rubber seal dries out and gets hard, replacing the seal every couple of years won't change with a new toilet. Availability of other parts, well your model has been discontinued. Like I said earlier, I find your model to be overly complicated. I'm a firm believer in K.I.S.S. and don't see the need for all the electronics, relays, etc. Rube Goldberg was clever, but seldom took the simple solution.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #8
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I downloaded and read through the manual for your toilet. It seems needlessly complicated.
IMHO this is a perfect example of how RV manufacturers (both the RV and subsystems) have needlessly made their products more complex and prone to failure.

We have a china toilet, a Sealand 500 series that works quite well without electricity. Is it really too arduous a task to lift the pedal to put water in the bowl or push on it to flush?

As for the OP's complaint that water doesn't stay in the bowl, that's a common problem with any RV toilet after a few years no matter how careful you are with it. The good news is that the non-electric toilet is inexpensive enough that you can almost afford to just replace it rather than go through rebuilding its working parts. In either case, it's a lot less expensive than an electric one.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Thanks for the reply Mike....the trouble I'm having is the seal that holds water in the bowl doesn't hold any more. T

LSBEH ��
There are still parts available (just not the circuit board).
Try this site (scroll down until you find your model). https://pdxrvwholesale.com/p/sealand-parts-view

Sounds like you need a seal kit: https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...-kit-385311009
Old 07-22-2018, 05:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
This going to sound a little hokey, but we have been living with the same problem for some time. Get a tube of plumbers grease and when the water wont' stay in the bowl smear a liberal coating of the grease on the back half of the seal. That works until the next time you clean the toilet.

Yes, I know, I have to replace the seal and I am embarrassed to tellyou hw long I've lived with this, but thankfully something else always comes up that needs immediate attention. Or it's wine time.

Cheers,
Old 07-22-2018, 06:11 PM   #11

Foretravel Owners Club
It is no big deal to swap out the half ball, replace the seal and the twist shaft with the 2 "O" rings..
get the parts here..
You will need to have the serial number, model number , and possibly year manufactured..
"Tucker" will talk you thru the whole process if needed..

https://www.marinesan.com/AboutUs.asp

Ours is a similar model (3048)
this shows what you will be looking at after you disconnect the 2 electrical plugs (use a tiny sewing machine screwdriver)(NOTE!..have 2 lengths of twine tied to those electrical plugs , so that when you re-assemble you can thread the plugs back up thru the back of the toilet to the control board)

Then unbolt the toilet from the base and set aside.
Pic's are showing the base with seal keeper ring, then ring and seal removed and then base ring (that the seal sets on) exposing the half ball.

good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180122_144241 (1).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	303.5 KB
ID:	211970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180124_113435 (1).jpg
Views:	15
Size:	331.9 KB
ID:	211971  

Name:	IMG_20180124_113459 (1).jpg
Views:	14
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	211972  
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:24 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Follow up to above post..
When you disconnect the electrical plugs, unscrew the screws that hold the plugs into the control panel... DO NOT remove the wires from the plugs (don't ask how I learned this)
You will have to disconnect the motor drive linkage from the base in order to invert the half ball to get at the mounting screw to the twist shaft..
TAKE a lot of pic's along the way as you may need to refer to them when re-assembling
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20180122_143041 (1).jpg
Views:	6
Size:	200.7 KB
ID:	211976   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180122_144257.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	283.7 KB
ID:	211977  

Name:	IMG_20180323_143825.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	211980  
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:08 AM   #13

Dometic Magnum Opus 3110 parts list

As well, on the screws that hold the electrical connectors in, do NOT allow them to fall out! They seem as if they should be captive, but aren't. They're sort of small and hard to find if they wander off!

I just serviced our Magnum Opus by replacing the ball / pivot and the seal kit. It now operates tip top. I know it seems like an "icky" job to do, but it wasn't.

As far as the parts go, the ball kit is part number 385310969 (white) or 385310971 (ebony). The seal kit part number is 385311009. Pay close attention to the orientation of the seals. The bottom seal closest to the ball is slightly beveled on the *bottom* side to provide a tight seal against the spherical surface of the ball. I'd suggest buying an extra seal kit since this is the major "wear item" of the assembly and seemingly more difficult to find. I think I paid ~$36 for the seal kit and around ~$50 or so for the ball and shaft kit. Yeah, a bit pricey, but that's life on something that's a bit older like this....

I had to dig around a good bit to find these parts in stock. I've not listed the sources here as I just checked and both sources I used to get these parts no longer have them in stock. Keep looking! I've attached the parts list for this toilet here for reference.

BTW, if anyone is going to "Junk" their Magnum Opus, I'll gladly purchase the controller circuit board and / or motor assembly if either are still operable.

Thanks!

Best Regards,

Tom
'05 Monaco Signature
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Dometic_Toilet_3110.pdf (338.8 KB, 12 views)

tfmiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
repair, air, replace, toilet, dometic, seal, ace