Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2012, 11:28 AM   #15

When I say "I", understand that I mean the guy who did it for me but in consultation with me. I removed and gave away the old TV. There was a big metal frame behind it attached to the roof cross frame member, which I removed and threw away. This left a 31" opening so I bought a 31" Samsung TV to put in there and which is actually 30 3/4" leaving a whopping 1/4" to split to the left and right sides of the TV. The sides of that opening (3/4"-5/8" solid wood) were the sides of the old cabinet which stuck out well beyond the left cabinet (over the driver) and extended low enough that I could smack my head on the bottom right corner as I was on the second step or moving up from that step. Often. The echo in my head really got to me. So, I cut those sides back to 1/2" from the front of the left cabinet on the left side, and 1/2" from the front of the right cabinet on the right side. The two sides stick out a different distance but it's not noticeable and it gives more room to come into the coach safely. I also cut off enough of the top of each side to raise the bottom to 12" from the roof/ceiling (slightly longer than the two side cabinets), which included cutting out a new notch at the rear of each panel to accommodate a roof cross member. I then bought the basic flat screen TV bracket and installed one part to the back of the TV and the other part to a vinyl-covered backboard cut to the size of the TV (actually the back panel of the old cabinet). I then joined both parts of the bracket to effectively install the TV to the back board. I installed the largest strongest piano hinge I could find to the top of the backboard and screwed the piano hinge to the front-visible roof cross member. The TV is now free to swing backward as far as the front windshield or forward as far as the piano hinge will allow. I had a "chin strap" sewn together made out of webbing strap to be able to hold the TV swung out of the way while driving. The strap is secured/hung on both sides of the TV to plant hooks screwed into those 3/4"-5/8" side panels. On rough roads, there is a bit of rattle where the two parts of the bracket join and I'll be silencing that for our next trip by inserting foam between the TV and the backboard, or wherever I need to in order to stop the rattle. I will now attempt to attach four pics for you as reference. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2129.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	17702   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2136.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	17703  

Attached Images

"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #16

As an afterthought, I should have mentioned that I decided not to fuss with the left and right cabinets because it would have changed the placement at the ceiling and left marks on the ceiling vinyl where the original placement had been.
"Road Ranger" (Lenny!) RCMPolice Veteran #25XXX
"Geminimajic" (Gloria!)
2012 Open Range 386FLR 5'ver towed by (TBD)
Road Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #17

Don,t know if this helps but I did find one 32" led in my search under 30". I think it was a Samsung at costco. 29.75"I believe.- John
pattcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
A little update on my situation. My coach came with a 27" flat screen so my goal is to go to at least a 32" but I would like to do a 37" if possible. I am going to move the 27" lcd tv to the bedroom to replace a CRT TV. The second issue is that the cabinet above the driver extends beyond both the front and back of the center TV cabinet. The extension toward the windshield prevents me from installing a single piece MCD screen in the front. The third issue is that because of overheating and crowding in the cabinet I was forced to add a shelf below the cabinet to hold the Sat Receiver and I would like to get rid of that. I really like all the suggestion you have been providing. I think next week I am going to remove the TV, Yamaha Surround Sound AV receiver, DVD player, Sat Receiver and video switch so I can better understand the issues I may be facing. I am going to look closely at doing what Buford B. and mccrob have suggested.
itdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:13 PM   #19

I installed a 47" 3D in 2006 Camelot

Removed the couch and had Davis Cabinets in Junction City build me a cabinet with a TV lift. We hated sitting there watching TV while looking up over the dash with our heads angle up all the time. A good TV viewing angle should be just about eye level while sitting down. We also gained a lot of new storage space for the printer and files, etc. All the electronics are in the left cabinet. BTW, we also found matching tiles while in Eugene to replace the carpet..Hope the pics resize ok.

john50799 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I used the Visio 32"XVL on my old motor home with the TV in the center. It worked great. 31.5 inches as advertised and fit like a glove. Beautiful TV with excellent reception.

Anyone have any great ideas about replacing the Sharp Aquos 30 in with the side speakers over the passenger side. My newer coach has one cabinet on the left and then the TV. It is the Camelot 42DSQ is that helps. The opening is pretty wide I think 37" but not very high 25 inches. I would like to do as little cutting as possible, and of course get the biggest TV in there I can. Can you believe that in 2006 they didn't put a digital tuner in the set. I hate the converter box enough to try something new.

Thanks.

John Parker
CamelotJPGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Amazon.com

John,

Looks like a 37" would fit easily.

I went to www.amazon.com and looked at 37" and 40" LED TV's.
Amazon lists the size & weight as part of the specifications, and you can read reviews from people who bought them right there too.

I have a 37" LG in my Bounder and it is the best TV we own. Better than the Visio LED I put in the Bounder back end, better than the 5 year old Samsung DLP in our stick house family room, and better than the Toshiba in our master bedroom. The Toshiba comes in a close second though.

It's this TV - Amazon.com: LG 37LV3500 37-Inch 1080p 60 Hz LED-LCD HDTV: Electronics

I also replaced the DVD player/sound system with a Blu-Ray player/sound system. Also an LG - http://www.amazon.com/LG-LHB336-Blu-...8808320&sr=1-1 The two work together as one unit via the HDMI cable.

Regards,
Muddypaws
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace