Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2012, 01:48 PM   #1

Replace Propane Solenoid Valve, or Not?

I have found a propane leak on my 2000 Dip where the fitting from the main manual shutoff valve connects to the electric solenoid shutoff valve. In the process of disassembly, ( pita), I am considering removal of the valve.

I have read that these electric shutoff valves are no longer required by the higher ups. The purpose of this valve appears to be for shutting off the LP if the propane monitor in the MH senses gas. Also, if 12v is removed or shutoff on the coach, the valve will close.

Has anyone eliminated this valve? Any thoughts on the wisdom of removing it vs replacing with new and retaining original system?

Harry P
00MonDip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2012, 02:41 PM   #2

Sir, I do not have one on my rig, mine has a short hose (1 Ft) from the valve to the regulator only. You must be able to turn off your gas from the interior, is that correct? If that is the case, not sure why you could not by-pass the cut off and go right into the regulator then just turn the valve off if you want to shut it down. M2CW.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:51 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
My first moho, a pacearrow, had one... it made a lot of sense to me... after all, why bother to even have a propane detectore if it could not turn off the gas....

My current bus has a propane detectior that can't turn off the gas...
So I tend to just be quiet on this subject...

It makes@
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Makes sense to me that a propane detector wlould also turn off the gas.
Old 02-07-2012, 12:06 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My MH is parked inside, every time I open the door after sitting a couple of weeks, I smell propane. The propane detector doesn't alert me though, and I don't smell propane inside. I did the self testing with the propane detector it works.

I suspect, I may have a leak on the outside, because if I shut the valves on the outside,I no longer will smell the propane. I read the manual, it said if the propane detector goes off, ventilate the area, and take to a repair shop immediately. My detector certainly does not shut off the propane. In fact there is what looks to be an electric switch that makes a solenoid switch noise when I turn it. The book says it is a shut-off valve, but it does not shut off the propane.

Who knows. I am about ready to just replace all the hoses and regulator!
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I would....

My first moho, a 99 pace arrow, had the propane detector wired into a solenoid that turned the gas off.

As that was my only experience, I was rather outspokn that that is how it should be.

My knight doesn't have that... i'd assume the propane detector make some noise but the ain't no valve and it don't turn off the propane.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #7

Davdeb1,
That is exactly how I found my leak. It was stored inside and I would smell the propane every time I came in. The only time I could stop the smell is if I turned off the main valve.

Using soap bubbles I found a leak right at the solenoid valve inlet line. Now I am debating whether or not to keep the valve or eliminate it when I repair it.

Good luck finding your leak.

Harry P
Old 02-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #8

I would leave it off.

Tags
propane, replace