Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2012, 07:15 AM   #57

Chad,

I forgot what forum I'm on. Monaco International has the national account deal also and they don't take a cut, so the price to you is a little better
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 02:31 PM   #58

Steve, how do i go about checking with monaco international pricing? I just priced michelin through fmca cost and they were $488 per tire. The dw and i have decided to go michelin since almost everyone i talk to says michelin is best and there is very little difference in cost to go with michelin. Thanks again for everyones help. Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #59

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat View Post
Chad save your money on teh tire monitor and buy one of those laser temperature checkers or a hammer like the truckers do.
One of the trucker magazines did a test some years back, They had about 50 truckers "thump" tires. only TWO of the professional drivers could tell if a tire was dangerously low (20% below specs).
Doesn't speak well for "thumping" does it?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:15 PM   #60

I was a Owner Operator and driver and never thumped tires! I thought a "Tire Billy" was something I carried when I put the back of my hand against the tire for temp! A tire billy was a device that got around the weapon rule of trucking, it's legal and you don't need a permit and it's always loaded. Why do you think most were stored under the drivers seat rather than in the tool box? But what do I know?
Old 05-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #61

Chad,

You must be a member of Monaco International, which is an FMCA club for all Monaco built coaches.
http://http://monacointernationalrvclub.com/

They have great pre rally's which are held just before an FMCA Convention.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:07 PM   #62

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Chad,

Your thread seems to have gone pretty far afield from your original post. Lots of strongly held believes and little else. I purchased a Pressure Pro system in '03 with 10 sensors. 3 years later I added 2 more sensors when I traded for my current tag axle coach. I never had a sensor fail. In the spring of '10 I replaced all sensors just before a cross country trip as they were 7 years old, which I figured was nearing the end of their battery life. The system has served on 2 coaches and 3 sets of tires and has been trouble free. In that time it has saved me from disaster once. I pay for insurance on my coach every year and have never filed a claim. The TPMS is just a cheap policy.

Other tires to check. Try Bridgestone as they build good tires. If you have a GCR tire center close, they are owned by Bridgestone and I have had good service from them. If you go with Michelin, be sure to check our the national account deal through FMCA.
Chad, I totaly agree with Steve. We hi-jacked your thread and turned it into our personal tread. I do appoligize and I will not be adding to this tread. Hope you find what you want, when you want it.
roscoesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:43 AM   #63

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattlePirat

Jim, did you change out that TPM while u are at it? They are only good for 3 years and then should be routinely disgarded.
My tst 507 system has replaceable batteries, when it tells me the batteries are low, i change the batteries...

After a moho without a tpms, and 2 tire failures, one a catstrophic tread separation....

And then a second moho, with tpms, that caught a catastrophic tread separation AS IT WAS HAPPENING!

I will always have a functional all wheel tpms.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
One of the trucker magazines did a test some years back, They had about 50 truckers "thump" tires. only TWO of the professional drivers could tell if a tire was dangerously low (20% below specs).
Doesn't speak well for "thumping" does it?
jest sayng. I merely suggested there was a low tech method. I do like the infrared temp gun, you can use it on the radiator as well if you suspect a heat problem.

I do have a legit question about the sensors which screw on to the valve stems, do they get stolen? Do you remove them when not in use? I saw an ad for them at 2 for 75 bucks, wow, just sitting there for someone to steal.

Like the other guys said, didnt mean to hijack the thread.
SeattlePirat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:04 PM   #65

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy40 View Post
Quite frankly,I couldn't care less if you believe me or not.Scan and post receipts ? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. You have obviously posted this to try and get a rise out of me,that's NOT what this forum is for. A question was asked that I felt I could provide a legitimate answer for, and I did just that. And no, I did not buy this coach new. I bought it 2 yrs ago from the dealership I work for, with 3 yr old tires on it, knowing that I would be putting tires on it this year. I stand firmly by my 5 yr rule, because I'm NOT willing to take the risks that are involved with having blowouts. The rest of you can do what you want, I have no "dog in this hunt", I don't own a tire shop or stock in a tire company. If you feel confident running old tires, more power to you. I won't be caught dead with old tires on my coach ( and the way I've seen some coaches handled on the road it IS a possibility for that to happen ). And as far as I 95 and NY, you and your old tires have a ball..too many NYer's there for my taste.
I asked a question on "what premise" do you feel 5 yrs is safer than 8 or 10 years? Why not every 2 years?
What will happen if you have a blowout on a 4yr old tire? Or 1 year old?

I would say the RV tire industry would have shops on just about every corner if tires were sold that often.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #66

Yikes... is it that time of the month???

But I guess its good to get different opinions and to know that people will stand up for what they believe in.

Resume...
kat_nda_sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 06:50 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
I asked a question on "what premise" do you feel 5 yrs is safer than 8 or 10 years? Why not every 2 years?
What will happen if you have a blowout on a 4yr old tire? Or 1 year old?

I would say the RV tire industry would have shops on just about every corner if tires were sold that often.
Re-read what you asked. You keep demanding proof, but cannot offer any proof to the contrary and it's becoming a bit tedious. Its a pretty safe assumption that a 5 yr old tire is marginally safer than an 8 or 9 yr old tire. Yes it's possible to have a blowout on a 1 yr old tire.... but not as likely as the 5 to 9 yr old tire. Do you run 9 yr old tires on your car or truck ? Would you board an airplane with 9 yr old tires ? I answered in the post you quoted, which you obviously DIDN'T read and comprehend, why I change tires at 5 yrs and why I recommend it.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Re-read what you asked. You keep demanding proof, but cannot offer any proof to the contrary and it's becoming a bit tedious. Its a pretty safe assumption that a 5 yr old tire is marginally safer than an 8 or 9 yr old tire. Yes it's possible to have a blowout on a 1 yr old tire.... but not as likely as the 5 to 9 yr old tire. Do you run 9 yr old tires on your car or truck ? Would you board an airplane with 9 yr old tires ? I answered in the post you quoted, which you obviously DIDN'T read and comprehend, why I change tires at 5 yrs and why I recommend it.

Ok... there we go. ASSUMPTIONS. Just wanted to see you type that.

So when you dont have factual data you just make an "assumption".
The date codes on my truck tires are 2004 Michelin LTX. Currently have 120k on them... and will continue to stay on till the tread reaches the wear bars. I could have ditched them in 2009 but they still looked brand new. Do you think I got double the warranty life from them (60k) because I dont know how to maintain a tire?

The lilttle knowledge I have about aircraft tires... lots of them are recaps.

Quote:
Over 95% of today's commercial airline operations use retreaded aircraft tires; this is an overwhelming confirmation of the high quality and reliability of aircraft tire retreading.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherTodd View Post
Ok... there we go. ASSUMPTIONS. Just wanted to see you type that.

So when you dont have factual data you just make an "assumption".
The date codes on my truck tires are 2004 Michelin LTX. Currently have 120k on them... and will continue to stay on till the tread reaches the wear bars. I could have ditched them in 2009 but they still looked brand new. Do you think I got double the warranty life from them (60k) because I dont know how to maintain a tire?

The lilttle knowledge I have about aircraft tires... lots of them are recaps.

So AGAIN, YOU have posted no "factual data" ,that you're wanting from everyone else, that they SHOULDN'T be changed at 5 yrs... I give up... you want to run old tires, do it....I'm done.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:09 PM   #70

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
So AGAIN, YOU have posted no "factual data" ,that you're wanting from everyone else, that they SHOULDN'T be changed at 5 yrs... I give up... you want to run old tires, do it....I'm done.

http://www.costco.com/Images/Content...1_RV_Guide.pdf

page 3. Michelin calls for 10yrs.

When you replace your 2nd set of tires on the same RV... Ill believe you follow the 5yr recommendation. Doing so without spending the $6,000 plus... just makes you look worried.