Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-05-2012, 02:22 PM   #309

The weight discussion is worth considering.

That Norcold is heavy - it took 4 of us to remove it, and takes 2 to handle it once out.

On the other hand the Frigidaire is light. I sat it up into the cabinet without any help and 2 of us slid it in through the drivers window.

But - hopefully this works, here is the finished view of my Frigidaire in place.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee362/sepisllib/Finished-moldingon.jpg

In addition to the finished photo I have several others showing the various issues on the opening. This one shows the top shot of furnace and things that had to be changed or moved.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee362.jpg

Just information and yes, it is possible.

Love ours, things actually keep cold, and frozen as they are supposed to.

God Bless

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #310

Going to try this again - for some reason my photobucket shots are not coming through.

http://s1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee362/sepisllib/?action=view¤t=Furnacetopshot.jpg
Old 08-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #311

Sorry guys - until I figure out why my photobucket account is not working properly, or I am not doing things right (likely), guess will have to wait.

God Bless

Bill
Old 08-06-2012, 06:45 AM   #312

Try again here.

Finished-moldingon.jpg picture by sepisllib - Photobucket

See how this shows up.

God Bless

Bill

On edit - finally shows up and the above photo is that of my Frigidaire in place all finished up.

As one can see - it looks like an OEM installation just by comparing the molding and finish.

The intake grill for the furnace on bottom shows the wood grill that I had to cut out over an inch of - then re-glue it and brace for refitting.

So - here you are

God Bless

Bill
Old 08-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #313

This photo shows the "raw" interior of the compartment from above - the furnace is shown along with wires, pipes and etc.

If you look close on the right side of furnace you will see the looping LP copper pipes that I had to take loose and cut them down a couple inches, then re-flange them and put back in place. The hardest part of that was the effort needed to seat (seal) those flanged ends to the manifold so that there was absolutely NO leaks or seepage of any kind - had to torque them down rather hard (around 100 ft pounds).

The support in front of the furnace was removed entirely so that I could cut it down also - had to take off around 2 inches and then reattach it. The floor of the compartment had to be lowered about 2 inches, and I supported it by braces down to the floor below the furnace. Had to carve out an opening so that the floor actually kind of surrounded the furnace and I installed a very thin sheet metal in the cut-out directly above the furnace - in order to maintain the height that I needed. Measuring the opening I discovered the Frigidaire would roll right in over the wood flooring and skim just above the sheet metal - no pressure on the sheet metal.

I used caulking then to seal all around the wood compartment flooring, and sealed the sheet metal also to stop any and all air intrusion.

The roof vent was taken out and I put in a bottom to contain the foam until it set up. The roof vent is now totally sealer so no air, hot or cold, comes in through that opening.

The outside vent (old one for access to Norcold) was removed and I sealed that up also with foam.

The Frigidaire does not draw "any" air from outside the coach for anything. If someone asks, how does it cool and breathe? The answer is ---- the Frigidaire pulls air from the top - above the fridge, down the rear of the unit - then across the fins, and then blows that warm air out through the bottom into the living space - this warm air passes just above the shallow "drip" pan under the fridge - and serves to evaporate what little drippings may be there in the frost free unit.

So - do not have to worry about cold air drawn in, or hot air drawn in through the roof vent or access vent outside the fridge.

Here is that photo::::

Furnace from top picture by sepisllib - Photobucket

God Bless

Bill
Old 08-06-2012, 08:42 AM   #314

Tom

Thanks all for your quick replys to my problem. I stated that my Norcold 1200 went out and I want to replace with something else. RickT said I should tell all what kind of coach I have. I have a 2007 Carriage Carri Lite. If anyone could help with ideas on a replacement fridge I would be most greatful.

Tom
tjbassetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:57 AM   #315

Tom

Welcome to change.

If you have the Norcold 1200 series - there are quite a few residential fridge's out there that may fit. The single biggest issue is that of Height and for that you must do like the rest of us do.

1 - Examine the "exact" dimensions for that Norcold.
2 - Take a hard look at the compartment in which it resides there in your coach.
3 - Made a determination of how much more room you possibly can create by being innovative with that compartment - is there room to lower the bottom floor, is there room to raise the top, etc......

THEN
Go shopping. If you look at the various makes and models of residential refrigerators on the market you will see some are noted as being "counter debth" type. Consider them first, however don't exclude the others (mine is not).

Once I removed my Norcold then I had the "exact" measurements of my compartment. There were a few things that I had to move, that I had not planned on moving - for example the electrical outlet was mounted on the wall which would be directly behind my Fridge. Due to the outlet box sticking out from the wall and the plug having to be inserted into it ---- that simple little thing caused the new fridge to stick out about 4 or 5 inches further than it had to. I removed that outlet box and mounted it on the lower side of the compartment and the new fridge had plenty of room to slide right by it. Now new fridge is snuggled up just about 1 inch from the wall - just enough to allow air flow over the top and down the rear.

Once I modified my compartment floor to accommodate the new fridge - I had plenty of room on top and both sides.

I installed my new wood molding then to snuggle up against the fridge - except on top I drilled several 1 inch holes in the molding so that the air could be pulled over the top (one cannot see the holes when standing on the floor in the coach).

You see my photos -----

Each coach is different - yours will be too. But if you do have a Norcold 1200 line then it is possible to find a residential to fit ---- with a little help.

Good Luck

God Bless

Bill
Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 AM   #316

Note

A few posters have commented that they would have installed the fridge so that the doors would open from the left.

I really did want to do that --- however if you look closely you will see the counter on the right that the doors would be banging in to.

So - it worked best to open from the right ---

God Bless

Bill

Tags
norcold