Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2011, 12:18 AM   #99

Monaco Owners Club
Don, The Samsung RF197 is 1 that will run on a modified sinewave inverter and is a size that can fit.
I took the wheels off my 197 and installed two 6" x 1" square tubing skids on each side at the rear corners
bolted with the original bottom bolts.. It's way more stable than the rollers and it's about 1/4" less height.
The front I shimmed under the Adjust L brackets to level and bolted through them.
nodine, You can read the large display numbers easy even up high. I used a drill stop when drilling the latch holes and
used a wire to feel in the holes for anything in the way.
I used trim tape and purchased shorter screws for the latches.
I ordered online from warehouse discount center: Stainless Steel $1154. free shipping to my door.
RickT
P. S. We loaded the Samsung tonight to leave on a 2 week outing. The frig is only 1/2 full, before the Norcold would have been
stuffed full.
RickT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2011, 07:13 AM   #100
KIX

IMHO the Samsung 197 popularity is due to several factors:
Will run on either PDW or MSW inverters
Low power demand
Not a single door
Counter depth
Width near perfect to replace the 1200 series Not-so-Cold
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:26 PM   #101
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks guys......Most of the other refers I saw were cheesy looking and all single fridge and freezer doors. I like the idea of replacoing the wheels and bolting to the floor. I would need every 1/4" I could get.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:08 AM   #102

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don View Post
Thanks guys......Most of the other refers I saw were cheesy looking and all single fridge and freezer doors. I like the idea of replacoing the wheels and bolting to the floor. I would need every 1/4" I could get.
Don,

We liked the black as opposed to the stainless steel and it was $200 cheaper. The black goes better with the rest of the trim in the Diplomat.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:55 AM   #103

This has probably been asked before and i either read it and forgot or it wasn't asked.

We plan on going to Quartzite this year and will be boondocking for several days. I know we can run the generator to keep the batteries up but what about at night? My battery is STOCK with 4 6 volt batteries. I know the Fridge will run off the inverter but for how long?

Is there anyone with experience in this area? or suggestions?

Thanks. I do not think I will be able to install the Samsung by myself so I am thinking about having it done. It will still be cheaper then installing a new Norcold..
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #104

Monaco Owners Club
We have a Samsung 197, & we boondocked for a couple of nights in Q last Jan. & the stock batteries did OK -- Started gen next morn for a recharge -- The 4, 6volt batteries were 4 years old at that time -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 12:36 AM   #105

Monaco Owners Club
Samsung RF197 yet another source

Hi, yall I recently posted a source for this item as being Frys electronics, at $1,099. I bought two of these units today (one for the other coach) at Sears outlet for $780.00 ea. W/ice makers, in platinum, NEW not S&D. I had seen Sears listed as a source, but found them to be high priced, but remembered the outlet store, and gave it a try, and viola! So those of you considering this worthwile changeover might try this source, even though I had to pay tax. Regards, C.J. Jones 98 Sig pushed by a 2000 Kia, roasting in AZ.
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:14 AM   #106

Monaco Owners Club
Bill Willard,
Curious, how did you get the refrigerator in the coach? When the factory changed out our 1402 they removed the drivers seat and window. We probably have the same entrance doors and would sure like to be able to go through the door.
Thanks,
Chuck
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:32 AM   #107

Monaco Owners Club
Our Time -- Our coach is a 07, Camelot, & I went thru the window in the curb-sideout -- Removed the valence & window -- I had the 1402 Dometic refer, & had about an inch clearance, but about 4 inches for the 197 Samsung -- I left the cooling unit on the Dometic, but if you`re close on room, remove it -- Bill Willard
William Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:07 AM   #108

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a Trace 1500w inverter with 4 6v batteries. Will this be sufficient for the Samsung RF197? I couldn't find the power draw anywhere for the unit.

I have poured over $900 into our existing Norcold 1200rlim in the last 6 weeks and still don't have a working unit. (new board in the rear and new fans and thermostat in the vent). The Samsung is looking more and more attractive.

Diplomat Don, please keep us posted on your project, I think our layouts are very similar.

Thanks,

dreamer.
dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:12 PM   #109

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer View Post
I have a Trace 1500w inverter with 4 6v batteries. Will this be sufficient for the Samsung RF197? I couldn't find the power draw anywhere for the unit.

I have poured over $900 into our existing Norcold 1200rlim in the last 6 weeks and still don't have a working unit. (new board in the rear and new fans and thermostat in the vent). The Samsung is looking more and more attractive.

Diplomat Don, please keep us posted on your project, I think our layouts are very similar.

Thanks,

dreamer.
I have seen posts that claim the Samsung draws about 2 amps. Using P=IE that is about 240 watts. Multiply that by 4 for start current and you get 960 watts. I would guess the 1500 watt inverter should work with the Samsung.

Bob
Old 08-14-2011, 06:35 PM   #110

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Our Time View Post
Bill Willard,
Curious, how did you get the refrigerator in the coach? When the factory changed out our 1402 they removed the drivers seat and window. We probably have the same entrance doors and would sure like to be able to go through the door.
Thanks,
Chuck
Chuck,

We just finished taking our Norcold out today and have it laying on the ground. I took the cooling unit off to make it easier to get out but it will fit through the door without doing so. I removed the passenger seat and hand rails. Also unscrewed the arm at the top of the door and held the door all the way open with a bungee around the mirror. I got to thinking about it and decided I would not want anyone else to use that piece of crap and maybe burn down their motorhome or worse kill themselves. That made it easy to tear the thing apart and was fun. I plan to give away some of the parts at the FMCA rally in October but not the cooling unit. After I got the Norcold out of the wall I was horrified at how much of a fire hazard it is. All kinds of stuff had fallen down on top of the hot section of the cooling unit and fortunately had not reached its combustion point.

I have measured and feel confident we can get the new Samsung in through the door. Of course we will have to take the doors off and the freezer drawer out. I may have to remove the lock pin at the bottom of the door jam on the motorhome. According to my measurements we will have 1/4 in clearance on each side of the door as the frig goes in. I plan to tape cardboard over surfaces that might get rubbed, such as the console, as we go in with the frig. We have an LCD TV so the television cabinet should not be a problem.

As Rex requested, I have been taking pictures and will post them later. I was pleased to see that there will be plenty of air space on each side, the top, and the back of the Samsung once installed. I plan to stop up the frig vent and the access door since the recommended space is available.

Bob
Old 08-14-2011, 07:31 PM   #111

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks Bob, I will be anxious to hear your results and photos. I may make the change soon, as we head to Florida for the winter and we don't want to go through another winter with the Dometic 1402 only working when it wants to! Living out of coolers is not my idea of fun anymore!
Our Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 07:43 PM   #112
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I keep wavering on replacing this thing. We just got back from Yellowstone and Zion. Zion was 104 for three days. The Norcold did okay, but was not stellar. Bob.....I'm waiting to see photos of yours installed. I'm thinking the black would look better in mine too.

Money isn't the issue, losing the propane ability and worrying about running the batts down is what's keeping me from pulling the trigger. The mod would be fun.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold