RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2016, 09:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by karencollins View Post
Not we never could get to them. We wanted to be able to turn the arm in when we cover it for storage & cannot get it to budge. We've asked at every repair shop we've been to if they could get it to move & no luck. Right now, it seems to not be moving when we do, so we've just left it alone.

Same here, can't move them in.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - 2008 Monaco Camelot 40 PDQ

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2016, 08:12 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
We've pretty much given up & decided to live with it. The biggest problem is when we cover it for storage.

karencollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by karencollins View Post
We've pretty much given up & decided to live with it. The biggest problem is when we cover it for storage.
Once the set screw in the side and the bolt in the bottom are loose, it is only the corrosion that is holding the arm to the mirror base. They fit together with a taper, which is a good design and makes them very sturdy. But if the chrome peels and corrosion bonds the two pieces together, they can be a challenge. I "massaged" mine with a dead-blow hammer that had polyethylene faces. It took a lot of work, but they finally came loose. Reassembled them with acrylic latex caulking, hoping that would preclude getting corroded again. Time will tell.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:31 PM   #32

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
karencollins-

Here's a link to a post I made on the topic.

NOTE: My coach has Ramco mirrors; if yours are from a different manufacturer, the information in that post may not apply.

NOTE: There's a last-ditch method of removing some Ramco mirror arms. Using a tool of your choice, cut through the thin plastic cover at the base of the arm. This is the cover that covers the lag bolts that attach the arm to the coach. Normally that cover will not come off before the arm does. Once you cut through the cover and remove it, you can unbolt the mounting bracket from the coach (that is, unbolt the lag screws that hold it on). Make sure you have at least two people- one to unscrew the lag bolts and a second to hold the entire mirror/arm/bracket assembly up (it's heavier than you think and unwieldy). Undo the electrical connections and then take the entire assembly to a workbench to break the arm free. You'll need to order a replacement bracket cover from Ramco for the re-installation.
l1v3fr33ord1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
I have Velvac mirrors on my 06 Monaco Safari TREK. I have removed the arm but do not
know hw to remove the Chrome base to get at the 4 screws which hold it onto the body.
I hope I donot have to wreck and replace the base for access. What is the removal solution??
vtkachuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 01:27 PM   #34
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
Dr 4 film,
I have the three part Velvac mirrors on our Navigator. Love the three part mirrors for the very reasons you stated. However the Velvac chrome is ****. I have twice replaced the arms and the bases because the chrome peeled off badly. And others have complained of same. How is the chrome on your new mirrors or is it too soon to tell?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
My Dynasty mirrors are black which I thought was odd. Now I realize that the chrome must have deteriorated and the PO painted them black.
Old 05-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtkachuk View Post

I have Velvac mirrors on my 06 Monaco Safari TREK. I have removed the arm but do not know hw to remove the Chrome base to get at the 4 screws which hold it onto the body.

I hope I donot have to wreck and replace the base for access. What is the removal solution??
Remove the four chrome looking plastic cap covers to reveal the head of the lag bolts that hold the base to the coach.

Are your intentions to re-chrome the bases and arms? If so I know of a great place in Melbourne Fl that does an absolute fantastic job at reasonable prices.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #36

Re-chrome. Don't buy from Velvac

Richard is talking about Space Coast Plating in Melbourne, FL. They are a really high-class custom plating operation. The owner, Dave Pratt, told me the reason Velvac mirror chrome CONTINUES to peel and degrade is that they plate directly on the aluminum. He copper plates before nickel and finally chrome. He did my mirror bases and arms and they look FANTASTIC. His chrome will last.

Don't know the exact cost, but it's probably about the same as replacement Velvac parts. I traded him some parts and some labor for my re-chroming. Call and you will talk to Sandy Pratt. She knows everything there is to know about re-chroming Velvac parts.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Richard is talking about Space Coast Plating in Melbourne, FL. They are a really high-class custom plating operation. The owner, Dave Pratt, told me the reason Velvac mirror chrome CONTINUES to peel and degrade is that they plate directly on the aluminum. He copper plates before nickel and finally chrome. He did my mirror bases and arms and they look FANTASTIC. His chrome will last.

Don't know the exact cost, but it's probably about the same as replacement Velvac parts. I traded him some parts and some labor for my re-chroming. Call and you will talk to Sandy Pratt. She knows everything there is to know about re-chroming Velvac parts.
I am going to finally get around to doing this Van. I noticed before I took the coach for paint that the chrome was already peeling and my mirrors are only 5 years old.

As soon as I get it back I will be getting with Dave to rechrome my bases. The heads and the arms are still in great condition but the bases are terrible. I think I kept my last set of bases for this very reason. I just need to find them after the move.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Mike,

The arms and bases are the only parts of the mirror which can be chromed.

The heads are plastic.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 07:00 AM   #39

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Mike,

The arms and bases are the only parts of the mirror which can be chromed.

The heads are plastic.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Correct Richard the heads are plastic but chrome plated plastic and still look great. My arms still look great but the bases are needing to be rechromed.

Mike.

zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace