Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2015, 09:32 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Replaced Velvac Mirrors with Ramco Mirrors

Folks,

Back in 2012, while staying in Fairbanks Alaska visiting my son, I came across an eBay ad for a set of Ramco three glass heated remote control mirrors which also had embedded LED turn signals and In-Vue cameras. They also came with 16 inch arms which is exactly what I had on my coach however they did not come with the bases.

They were a Buy-It-Now for $400 each with free shipping. That was a deal I could not pass up as these mirrors were thousands of dollars new from the manufacture.

I did not have a chance to mount them and do the rewiring on the harnesses until earlier this year. Plus I had to purchase new bases for the mirrors to slip into. Matt Reverman from Ramco was a huge help in supplying the correct radius mount to fit my coach plus he also supplied wiring harnesses needed to get everything wired together.

I also found a mirror controller at the Velvac distributor which I needed plus I purchased a three position mirror control switch from NW RV Supply in Oregon which allows me to switch between the top, middle and lower mirror glasses.

I removed the old Velvac two glass mirrors from the coach and sold them fairly quickly to a friend who wanted them basically for the arms. The mirror plastic buckets were not in good shape but the mirror glasses were still in great shape.

I mounted the two new Ramco mirrors and began putting together the custom wiring harnesses that were needed to utilize the existing mirror control switch on my driver’s dash panel. Plus I installed a new three position mirror switch to change between upper – middle and lower mirror glasses for adjustments.

I first laid out what existing wiring harnesses I had and drew wiring diagrams of what wires had to go where to make everything work correctly.

The finished product was a HUGE success and it works as designed.

I am extremely happy with the end result especially with both the TOP and BOTTOM mirror glasses. They allow me to see so much more of all vehicles approaching on either side of the coach. When the vehicle almost disappears from the TOP mirror it appears in the BOTTOM mirror. The flat MIDDLE mirror has always been my GOTO mirror for keeping track of stuff happening on both sides of the coach.

WRT the In-Vue cameras, they are basically useless for any quick information while driving because the time needed to look at my multi-camera monitor which hangs from the upper cabinet over the driver’s seat versus glancing quickly at the mirror glasses for instant use. However, I wired them to be active whenever my security camera system is powered on. That system includes four Sony cameras mounted on and inside my Pace Cargo Trailer plus the two new Ramco In-Vue cameras mounted on my coach. The 8 camera DVR records everything when the system is powered up. So the Ramco IN-Vue cameras main purpose would be to record any problems that occur while driving much like what my Dash Cam does mounted in the front windshield.

The cameras for the Pace Cargo Trailer are mounted on both sides of trailer plus the one in the rear gets used whenever I am passing vehicles or when vehicles are passing me. Those cameras provide significant wide angle coverage area all around the trailer which allows me to know when I can change lanes safely. The fourth camera keeps track of cargo inside the trailer.

Bottom-line, the investment in changing out the old Velvac mirrors to the new style Ramco mirrors was well worth the cost and time.

I have attached a couple of photos of the old two glass Velvac Mirrors along with a number of photos of the new Ramco Triple Glass Heated Remote LED In-Vue Camera Mirrors.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	114266617_2thumb_770x574.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	91689   Click image for larger version

Name:	114266617_1thumb_770x574.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	91690  

Name:	Ramco Triple Glass Mirrors-01.JPG
Views:	716
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	91691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramco Triple Glass Mirrors-02.JPG
Views:	1330
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	91692  

Name:	Ramco Triple Glass Mirrors-03.JPG
Views:	977
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	91693   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramco Triple Glass Mirrors-04.JPG
Views:	748
Size:	153.7 KB
ID:	91694  

Name:	Ramco Triple Glass Mirrors-05.JPG
Views:	1060
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	91695   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramco Triple Glass Mirrors-06.JPG
Views:	904
Size:	169.9 KB
ID:	91696  

Name:	Ramco Triple Glass Mirrors-07.JPG
Views:	769
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	91697   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ramco Triple Glass Mirrors-08.JPG
Views:	842
Size:	165.8 KB
ID:	91698  

Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2015, 10:28 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Great job...the triple heads are the best. Your new ones have a larger top mirror than the Velvacs, I think that is plus.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 06:29 PM   #3

I must disagree. The 2 mirror system gives you a getter total view. None of the class 8 trucks use a 3 mirror system. Your field of vision is too small. But the camera in the mirror is great! Nice install and great write up!
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:16 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry, I have to disagree. I have driven my coach with the 2 glass Velvac mirrors since 2003. Now after taking one 700 mile trip and using the new Ramco triple glass mirrors I have a better field of vision than with just the two glass mirrors. The middle glasses are basically the same size as is the bottom. Since I have never had any top glass I have no comparison but the top glass does add a different view than the lower ones.

As Twomed had commented earlier and I agree with the fact that the top glass on the Ramco is larger than the top glass on the Velvac Top Hat's that they offer.

I'm a Happy Camper!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-17-2015, 08:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
FANTASTIC!
Not sure if is a visual illusion, but the top and lower mirrors seem considerably larger than the Velvec in our executive, worth every penny and then some, love to have them at your price too
Good for you and thank you for shearing
Mariooch97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 08:59 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: MotherLoad foothills approx.60 m.s east of Sacramento
Nice write up DR4Film, My 2001 Dynasty had triple mirrors, sans the cameras, when I bought it last Oct. I wondered if they were oem or did the original owner order them when the coach was built. But the triple mirrors are a huge improvement over the double mirrors on my old 2003 gasser. Are you headed to Alaska yet?
Full time since Nov 2012 RVM#41 Gary and Marian Hill 2001 Monaco Dynasty Jack 38' 370 hp ....If it ain't broke I can still fix it.
Like putting shoes on an octopuss, so are the days of our lives....
adamfolger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:34 PM   #7

Dr 4 film,
I have the three part Velvac mirrors on our Navigator. Love the three part mirrors for the very reasons you stated. However the Velvac chrome is ****. I have twice replaced the arms and the bases because the chrome peeled off badly. And others have complained of same. How is the chrome on your new mirrors or is it too soon to tell?

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-18-2015, 06:01 AM   #8

Nice job! I just replaced the heads and bases on our badly peeling Velvac mirrors, believe me your deal was a LOT better than ours! Looks great!
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 08:17 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfolger View Post

Are you headed to Alaska yet?
We are finished with our Volunteer job on Monday here at Deukmejian Wilderness Park.

I anticipate arriving in Fairbanks around the 15th of May. I have a number of stops to make for work to be done on the trailer axles, the coach and engine and to visit friends in Washington State. Lots to see again in British Columbia and the Yukon too especially spending time at Liard Hot Springs Provincial Park.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post

How is the chrome on your new mirrors or is it too soon to tell?
Way too early to tell but I will comment on the method that Ramco uses for it bases versus Velvac.

Ramco provides a die-cast base molded to a certain radius to fit the coach which is attached using the same method and holes as the Velvac mirrors. Then they have a chrome plated plastic cover that slips over the base made from the same material that is used for the mirror buckets. The mirror arms then slip into the large hole on top and secured with a single bolt from the bottom.

If by chance the base cover is damaged to the point of replacement it is far cheaper to replace the plastic cover versus the entire Velvac base or even having the Velvac chrome plated base re-chromed.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-18-2015, 02:53 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
nice antlers on the dash.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scep View Post

Nice antlers on the dash.
Genuine Longhorns from Texas BUT purchased in Old Town Temecula CA many years ago.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 04-20-2015, 09:37 AM   #12

Chrome plating on mirrors

Not to hijack Richard's thread, but if your mirrors need re-chroming and you can do without your mirrors for three weeks, there is a place in FL that does ONLY show chrome for antique and specialty vehicles. The owner and his wife are very knowledgeable about plating and can tell you the reason the chrome fails on so many mirrors. It is not cheap (about $300 each side to chrome the base and arms--NOT including the plastic mirror housing), but the quality is amazing and the chrome is durable. Contact Sandy or Dave Pratt at Space Coast Plating in Melbourne, FL. They are Monaco owners.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Great job and write-up Richard. They look great on your coach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
Not to hijack Richard's thread, but if your mirrors need re-chroming and you can do without your mirrors for three weeks, there is a place in FL that does ONLY show chrome for antique and specialty vehicles. The owner and his wife are very knowledgeable about plating and can tell you the reason the chrome fails on so many mirrors. It is not cheap (about $300 each side to chrome the base and arms--NOT including the plastic mirror housing), but the quality is amazing and the chrome is durable. Contact Sandy or Dave Pratt at Space Coast Plating in Melbourne, FL. They are Monaco owners.
Van, I have heard these guys do great work on the Velvac mirror bases. I saved my last set and I think I am going to send them off to be replated as my one plus year old bases are already are showing signs of the chrome lifting.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 03:37 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
i wish i would have gone the re-chrome way, i just paid $220 FOR THE BASE (1) + shipping, it was peeling badly
Mariooch97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace