Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2018, 12:42 PM   #1

Replacement Air Bags

We have a 2009 Beaver Patriot Thunder; the air bags are looking pretty bad...lots of cracked rubber and one side is leaking (not sure if its a fitting or bag). Our coach is currently at Beaver Coach in Bend for some other issues, we had them quote the replacements: 20hrs labor @ $139 per hr to replace all 10 bags. Plus $3400 in parts. Ouch!!! Seems pretty expensive. Anyone had any experience replacing bags? Anyone have access to the part #'s on the bags. It's a Roadmaster Chassis. I crawled in to take a look but cannot seem to read the complete #. Are all 10 bags the same? Any input / info is appreciated.

Thank you.

Mary Ann & Clinton
2009 Beaver Patriot Thunder
AndersonCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mary Ann & Clinton! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Sorry I can't help with that.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

The price is exorbitant, b0th the parts cost and the amount of labor. I can't imagine 2 hours/bag, or $340/bag for the replacements either. Shop around.

Just 9 years also seems early for bag replacement. Most rigs get 20+ years.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:36 PM   #4

Holy cow!! That’s like a 8 hr job With a lunch break...they might be a special bag, I’ve seen that with some chassis’s...are you in bend, Oregon?
Old 07-19-2018, 11:00 AM   #5

Thanks for the input, Beaver Coach has been great for us on most items but the air bags seemed through the roof. We actually live in Southern Calif so we'll be having it done local just had BCS quote it while they had it for other items.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The price is exorbitant, b0th the parts cost and the amount of labor. I can't imagine 2 hours/bag, or $340/bag for the replacements either. Shop around.

Just 9 years also seems early for bag replacement. Most rigs get 20+ years.
9 years does seem early to us as well, however we've had both our local mechanic and now BCS recommend replacing. We've crawled under and the bags have a lot of cracks / deterioration in the rubber. We've had the coach 5 years....not sure what state or where it was stored before we bought it from BCS.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:52 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Can you provide a photo? My bags are 13 years old and they look good to me. I'd like to see what is considered bad.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:35 PM   #8

Hi Mary Ann & Clinton; I agree with what others here have posted. You somehow need to get the part numbers of the air bags needed. You are on a road master chassis so Monaco used them on a lot of their coaches. Should be easy to find. On my 01 Windsor with the 8 air bags, going by memory, I have seen them listed in the $200 range. Mine are Firestone. You might want to put a search in at the top of this page to see if anyone has replaced them on your chassis and happens to have the part number. You need to know what chassis you have in your Beaver. Also agree with others that an 09 seems real early for air bag replacement. I read somewhere recently where someone had info from Firestone on how acceptable the cracks on the outside of the air bags were. Time to do some digging. I know Beaver Coach Sales does good work and comes recommended by other Beaver owners, but I would do lots of research before going ahead with the repair you have posted here. Good luck!
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I have this Goodyear Air Bag catalog (with cross references to GoodYear,Firestone, and other brands that will fit. once you figure out your bag part number. The "Rolling Lobes" style is common on our coaches). Also see page 2 with photo of normal wear/cracks.

http://www.carquestprofessionals.com...gs_Catalog.pdf
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I would replace the one that is leaking only, my coach is a 2000 and the bags have cracks but not leaking and im not changing until i have a problem. I had a friend with a 94 Dynasty with over 150,000 on it and never changed the old cracked bags. Also agree the price on labor and parts is over priced .
walt2137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:22 PM   #11

As others have noted, but not emphatically enough, the folks at Beaver Sales are not your best source for parts for you rig. They are great for us older models that are true "Bend" Beavers, since the factory was just across the parking lot from their location. I swear the guys there know every "Bend Beaver" part by heart.

But, your coach was assembled over in Coburg Oregon when Monaco had their large coach operations there. (I think it was called assembly plant "21" or "S", cannot remember.) You would be much better served finding out from that location what air bags were installed on your MH.

Different people have expressed concern with trying to get any information since Monaco changed ownership. But, you should be able to cross reference your chassis ID with similar Monaco coaches and use the airbag that was used on your chassis number. (I cannot remember the Monaco brands produced back then, but I know it would be above the Dynasty, and probably below the Signature. But, I cannot remember what model that would be.)

But, as others have stated, Bend Sales seem to be a bit high on this repair. It seems worth doing some calling around to verify these costs.

Just my humble opinion.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:36 PM   #12

Executive was between the dynasty and the signature.
Woodman018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:14 AM   #13

I ordered all 10 bags from SDTrucksprings and got them for $170 each. Then Josam's installed them for approximately $1100. They would have been able to do them all in one day except access to the front axle rear bags was a challenge. So total was about $2800. Our bags were so cracked it was surprising they held air, we decided to just get them replaced rather than take a chance on one blowing out on our 10,000 mile trek this summer.
Bill767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:18 AM   #14

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f24/air-b...nt-254566.html

My experience with our 1998 Windsor

Matt B

Tags
ace, air, replace, replacement