RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2007, 10:22 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
One of my service items when I went to Wildwood Service this past week was the monitor for the Aladdin system and camera setup. When I took deliver, it did not work properly, and it never got better.

My dealer threw a couple of parts at it, claiming they knew what was wrong. They didn't. I figured I would just have Monaco look at it. That was a good move.

They determined that it was inoperable, and I gently mentioned that I had great dislike for that Black and White, CRT monitor. They said they would see what they could do. The result is below -

It turned out awesome! They used a color flat panel monitor, and custom built an ABS "filler" for the stock hole. It came out so great, and the monitor is awesome. It is so great that I can actually see the Aladdin numbers now, as well as my cameras.

Thought I would share -

--kev

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2007, 10:22 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
One of my service items when I went to Wildwood Service this past week was the monitor for the Aladdin system and camera setup. When I took deliver, it did not work properly, and it never got better.

My dealer threw a couple of parts at it, claiming they knew what was wrong. They didn't. I figured I would just have Monaco look at it. That was a good move.

They determined that it was inoperable, and I gently mentioned that I had great dislike for that Black and White, CRT monitor. They said they would see what they could do. The result is below -

It turned out awesome! They used a color flat panel monitor, and custom built an ABS "filler" for the stock hole. It came out so great, and the monitor is awesome. It is so great that I can actually see the Aladdin numbers now, as well as my cameras.

Thought I would share -

--kev

Old 02-24-2007, 10:27 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
Congrats on another great job by the Monaco Warranty crew! (How many Coronas did that cost ya? )
They did a great job - you can't tell it may not be original factory without doing a double take on the pics...

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:12 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hey Kev,
What was your old monitor doing or not doing. I had my rear camera replaced and the image on the monitor is reversed. Monaco has been working on it for three months with no solution. Your new monitor looks fantastic. Guess who my next call is going to...

2006 Ford Explorer
Jack Pattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:01 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
And what was the $$.$$ to you?
Dan

2006 Monaco Knight 40DFD
dwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 01:34 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The issue I was having was the image on the monitor was garbled. Kind of like the old TVs that had the Horizontal Hold knob, and the knob got real twisted. Got better, got worse, but never worked real well. It was like that when I took delivery of the coach, but not when I test drove it. The dealer sent out one side camera to replace, saying it was the camera that was messing it up

I was able to get the monitor replaced under a warranty replacement, as the new monitor was apparently matched better to the cameras

--kev

Old 03-01-2007, 02:41 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Kev, we have had similar issues with our setup. The right camera would go to gray periodically, the left would go to a rolling black screen (you could see the word left rolling vertically). We took the coach to Elkhart where the techs replaced the left camera. They could not get the right to act up so they said that it was ok . On the way home, about 10 miles south of Elkhart, the right went gray . I called the service writer who told me to contact a tech at monaco . The tech told me to take the coach to a local RV dealer (non Monaco) to have the right camera replaced if after checking the connection in the dash at the Alladin I found no loose wires. Did you have any issues with the two sides acting differently causing the monitor to act as ours?

2006 Monaco Knight 40DFD
Old 03-02-2007, 08:54 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dwhee:
.... Did you have any issues with the two sides acting differently causing the monitor to act as ours? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, they pretty much acted the same. Sometimes one camera would be a bit clearer than the others, but they were still all plagued with the same bad image.

To test, I had a 7" LCD panel laying around that I plugged the external output from the Aladding into. The LCD showed everything perfectly, which is what lead me to believe that it was simply a monitor issue. The LCD did not have any controls on it for panning the rear camera, so I used the controls on the bad monitor while viewing the picture on the LCD. Worked out OK, but the new monitor is the best solution.

There is an external output on the Aladdin. You can find a small TV or similar video source to see if it is a monitor issue or not. Let me know if you want to see the location of the video output on the Aladdin - I have a picture.

--kev

Old 03-02-2007, 10:43 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I think you could also use rca cable from output on the aladdin to input into the TV above for a test.
SacsTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:52 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SacsTC:
I think you could also use rca cable from output on the aladdin to input into the TV above for a test. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed - but only if you have bypassed the "turn the key on and the TV goes off" relay I have pictures of that too if interested.

--kev

Old 03-03-2007, 06:35 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Indeed - but only if you have bypassed the "turn the key on and the TV goes off" relay I have pictures of that too if interested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The WHAT???... oh yeah.... we don't have that pesky "bypass" problem anymore

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 05:54 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by digNbubbs:

Indeed - but only if you have bypassed the "turn the key on and the TV goes off" relay I have pictures of that too if interested.

--kev </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Please do!

2006 Monaco Knight 40DFD
Old 09-02-2007, 08:48 PM   #13
tjy

Monaco Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
I too am very interested in that "operation"
on my 07 knight.
A buddy of mine has a travel supreme and can
source his camera to his big overhead tv.
tom
tjy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:58 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Now, of course this is for educational purposes only...

The TV is plugged into an outlet that hangs loose in the cabinet above and behind the TV. There is a 12V connector coming out the side. If you unplug that connector, the TV will not be affected by the relay located inside the outlet.

12V relay inside the outlet -

--kev