Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2010, 01:13 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Replacing a Power Gear jack on a Holiday Rambler Endeavor

Joy of Joys my dealer Wagers Trailer Sales in Salem Oregon called to say my replacement jack is in. When they were ordering it I was promised that as soon as it came in they would install it immediately even if they had to move another appointment. Unfortunately the guy now claims they are so busy they can't get me in to install it until 7/28 two weeks from today . We have owned the coach since 6/10 and have only used it two nights so far and really don't want to wait that long. Has anyone ever changed out a rear Power Gear hydraulic jack and is it something I should tackle myself?

I can't believe their business is so good I should have to wait two weeks. Maybe Wagers didn't need my business in the first place or, am I just being unreasonable.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2010, 01:27 PM   #2

Heavy and maybe dirty, but no big deal. Check the bolt holes on your present jack bracket. Since Tiffins were using both HWH and Power Gear for a while, the hole placement was a bit off for the Power Gears. Someone(?) used a torch to burn a bit bigger hole in the bracket on the originals, and someone (Freightliner I'd guess) was the one who did it. The dealer who had to replace the jack on mine grumbled a lot because he had to do the same. In either case, it worked. Not an elegant solution but we haven't had any other jack problems. Unless you have a torch, I'd take the big washers off and see if you'll need one before tackling it.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:29 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It seems to be 'industry wide', the good service stops when you buy it.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 08:27 PM   #4
rex

Monaco Owners Club
No big deal to change it. You will need an open/box end wrench ( I think 3/4") and a socket as well. Use a scissor type jack under the Power Gear jack base to keep it in position till you get all the bolts out, then lower it and install the new jack the same way. You may get a very small amount of fluid out of the line when you disconnect it.

The jack is not all that heavy but when you are working under the coach and trying to lift it, well then you will see why I suggested using the scissor jack.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:03 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
And as far as anyone knows there is no need to bleed the lines in some way??????

Brian
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You do need to cycle the leveling jacks several times to purge any air out of the system, then top off the hydraulic fluid while in the retracted position.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had my RR jack come apart and leak a couple of quarts at a stop during my maiden voyage. I was able to retract it 1/2" off the ground. I crawled under and removed and plugged the line. I just wished it was not over 100* that day. The one pain was the self locking nuts that had to be worked all the way off. Monaco sent a replacement to Branson KOA and it took about twenty minutes to install. There are 4 bolts and one hydraulic line. Just cycle the jack a couple of times to bleed it and you are all set. Also make sure they are all retracted and that nobody pushes the extend button while the line is off. Not much fluid comes out of the line when you remove it.
Good luck

2008 Monaco Camelot 40' PDQ
Happycarz is offline   Reply With Quote