Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-29-2017, 10:53 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Replacing HWH auxilary air pump

I spent some more time on my HWH leveling system tonight. I raised the chassis up as high as it would go on the airbags and placed jack stands under the frame. I then crawled under there and changed out the auxiliary air pump. It is located just in front and above the rear drive axle on the passenger side. With the coach raised up you can see it through the passenger side rear wheel well just inside and above the dual tires.

I spent a lot of time crawling in and out until I figured out all the tools required. For those of you getting ready to do this, take a ratchet with an extension and a 9/16 socket, 9/16 wrench, a 14mm socket, and a crescent wrench underneath with you. There are four 3/8" bolts (9/16" hex) with lock nuts holding the aux pump assembly in the cradle, a quick disconnect 12v wire, a ground wire (14mm nut) and a large air line that I used the crescent wrench on.
You can then pull the entire assembly out and change out the pump in a more comfortable spot.
You will also need a 3/8" and a 1/4" ring terminal for the new pump wires.

There is a Nason number SM-2B-115R/443 pressure switch located in the assembly. In hind sight I should have ordered the switch and replaced it also.

I then turned the key to the on position and manually lowered the coach and pressed the air the level button twice. The bad news is I'm down to 70psi and the pump is not kicking on.

The good news is I discovered if I press the air level button once the four corners light up red and I can raise and lower individual corners. Previously I thought this was working but it was operator error.
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-30-2017, 12:27 AM   #2

Assuming that your system is configured the same as mine, the Thomas air compressor will only come on when the HWH leveling system calls for an adjustment. The Nason pressure switch is essentially an over-pressure cut off. Within the nomenclature, 2B = Normally Closed and 115R = 115 PSI Rising... Meaning the switch will change states as the pressure Rises past 115 PSI.
The air compressor is not intended to fill the pressure tank on your chassis; there is a check valve between the compressor and the tank. However, I've discovered (on mine) that air will actually sneak past the in-line check valve when the pressure on both sides of the valve is roughly equal, because the air flow is so low. For example if there is 40 PSI in my tank, as the pressure reaches approximately 40 PSI I can hear the air back feeding the check valve... I can actually hear a squealing noise as it happens. This anomaly will allows the Thomas air compressor to continue to pressurize the tank until the Nason pressure switch reaches its limit.

You might want to consider replacing the White-Rodgers solenoid switch also. This component is prone to failure because it has not been protected from the environment (as required by White-Rodgers). Monaco chose to not place the auxiliary air system in a protective enclosure.

I have some Nason pressure switches, White-Rodgers solenoid switches and various other components for the auxiliary air system, should you need them.
Flyin4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 07:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
To add: The aux air compressor does not fill the air tanks. it only fills the lines and air bags. If the chassis air tanks were at 0 psi you would still have air pressure in the air bags and related piping/valves when the aux compressor is working.

@Flyin4Fun - what is part number for the "White-Rodgers solenoid switch"?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HWH Air Leveling air-diagram.JPG
Views:	503
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	184267  
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:02 AM   #4

Prior to installing replacement aux compressor, I had a metal shop cut some sheet metal pieces that I installed bottom & sides around the compressor to minimize debris being dumped on the compressor. That was 2 years ago and even now, the compressor looks very clean.
curtismb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:52 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Yes, I need the part number and location for the White-Rodgers solenoid?
Old 12-02-2017, 03:10 PM   #6

I have a similar problem with my 2003 Dynasty I had a shop replace the aus. air compressor, because the old one didn't work. The new one doesn't either. The shop said they checked it out, but obviously didn't.. Don't know where to look or what to look for.

jecapar
2003 Monco Dynasty 40' W/tag.
jecapar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:13 PM   #7

HWH has a private-label part number for the White Rodgers solenoid switch: 120-105111. The White Rodgers part number is: 120-105711. I purchased these switches from Amazon, and I will post a link as soon as I can locate my prior orders.Click image for larger version

Name:	White-Rodgers%20Solenoid%2C%202017-012-02.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	184472
Old 12-02-2017, 08:21 PM   #8

The Amazon description and link for the White-Rodgers (Emerson) solenoid switch:

Emerson 120-105711 DC Power Solenoid, 12V, 100 Amp
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000LDB9RY..._P02iAbNVY0WEG
Old 12-02-2017, 08:30 PM   #9

My apologies, I didn't attach both pages of the document for the solenoid...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171202_222714_01.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	184473Click image for larger version

Name:	White-Rodgers%20Solenoid%2C%202017-012-02_01.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	184474
Old 12-03-2017, 07:56 AM   #10
Commercial Member

be sure to coat the wire connections with some kind of water proofing material. even a coat of paint helps. i use red oxide primer. it covers good and doesnt fill the threads too much. this helps prevent corrosion.
on the 325,625 systems. make sure the plexiglass cover is installed correctly. water gets in to the circuit board and causes corrosion there too.
its normally the failure to use good procedures that cause a lot of component failures.
corrosion is a leading problem.
azpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:30 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtismb View Post
Prior to installing replacement aux compressor, I had a metal shop cut some sheet metal pieces that I installed bottom & sides around the compressor to minimize debris being dumped on the compressor. That was 2 years ago and even now, the compressor looks very clean.
I, too, chose to put the new assembly inside an enclosure. I used a plastic cooler (insulated ice-chest) which fit the assembly perfectly. I drilled drain holes in the bottom, along with the necessary mounting holes for the bolts to pass straight through to the mounting brackets. The area where the aux compressor is installed (on my coach) has a huge amount of space, so space was not an issue. I used my best judgement to add ventilation holes, and covered them with a combination of louvers and metal screen.

The entire system has been working very well. An added benefit of using the plastic cooler is the level of noise insulation... which turned out to be very effective.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:39 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Flyin4Fun, thanks for posting the info on the White Rodgers solenoid. I have one on order.
Where on the coach is it located?

I used battery terminal protector spray on the electrical terminals.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by vito.a View Post
Flyin4Fun, thanks for posting the info on the White Rodgers solenoid. I have one on order.
Where on the coach is it located?

I used battery terminal protector spray on the electrical terminals.
On the '04 Monaco Dynasty Regal 42', it is in front, dead center, between the driver's and passenger seats... just forward of the basement bulkhead.

There is a 2 pin connector about 18in from the compressor. The air line is a ⅜" O.D. (tubing size) and is connected with a push-to-lock style fitting... So that can be easily disconnected as well. This will allow you to completely remove the system and take it to a bench to work on it. If I recall correctly, you'll need 9/16" wrenches for the mounting bolts.

BTW, both wires going to the compressor are positive (using chassis ground). One is hot all the time, and the other is energized when the HWH control calls for one corner to be lifted. I ran a wire & switch to the driver's console which allows me to run the compressor manually (on demand). As I mentioned in a previous post, there is a phenomenon which allows the compressor to back-feed the check valve thus filling the pressure tank. I wouldn't recommend doing that very often, as the system does not have an appropriate air dryer.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:43 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Okay. Is your aux compressor also up front?
I would have thought the Dynasty, Executive, Signature, Navigator, Patriot, and Marquis would be similar.

Tags
air, hwh