Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2012, 08:48 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post

We currently have an SFT and that model refrigerator. The refrigerator is now being used as an extra fridge in the sticks and bricks. I might also mention that some units seem to have a problem keeping the fridge colder than 40 degrees. (I believe William P Willard’s unit is also like this) We had Samsung out 4 times trying to fix this problem…until they finally said it is un-repairable. The freezer works fine which is what I am using it for in our home….but we don’t expect to get a cold beer from the fridge…

I hope this helps.
MonacoMama,

Other than Samsung stating that it was impossible to repair the fridge, was it still under warranty? Did they offer to replace it with a new one. Did it ever work correctly? How long after being new did it crap out?

Sorry for all of the questions. I have a Samsung RF197 and it's been working since April. There have been times when I have had to turn the temp in the fridge up because it was freezing some of our veggies. And the beer has always been cold.

What are you using now in the coach?

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
Rich why would you turn the frig temp up when your veggies are freezing? deSanford do you mean higher temp?
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:20 PM   #31

We put in a Kitchen Aid 2 door 21.5 cu-ft almost a year ago and love it. Our choice was driven by size and the fact that the refrig sits in a hall so a full size door wouldn't work and we had a power distribution panel below it.

Regardless, the household unit was the best idea we've had in years. We boondock for extended periods and are fine with the power consumption. Bat's drop about .2v overnight.

My daughter is a Lowes store manager and highly recommended ANYTHING EXCEPT a SAMSUNG. She's had a lot of problems getting Samsung warranty service for valid claims her customers submit. I don't know much beyond that, but I took her advice VERY seriously.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:41 PM   #32
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
We put in a Kitchen Aid 2 door 21.5 cu-ft almost a year ago and love it. Our choice was driven by size and the fact that the refrig sits in a hall so a full size door wouldn't work and we had a power distribution panel below it.

Regardless, the household unit was the best idea we've had in years. We boondock for extended periods and are fine with the power consumption. Bat's drop about .2v overnight.

My daughter is a Lowes store manager and highly recommended ANYTHING EXCEPT a SAMSUNG. She's had a lot of problems getting Samsung warranty service for valid claims her customers submit. I don't know much beyond that, but I took her advice VERY seriously.

And it's probably going to get worse as the courts just ruled that Samsung has to pay Apple 1.05 billion dollars for stealing some of their ideas.
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
My question is, whats gonna happen when you shut it off for winter and restart in spring? I am a landlord and have found it to be costly to shut off electric and let a fridge set for a few months. Have been told by repair man, do not shut off/unplug a refridg. Unless for cleaning.
Just my past experience $$$$$$$.
I did the amish rebuild to my older norcold which works fine. I was also concerned about resale of motorhome with out a normal refridg in it, that belongs in it.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Rich why would you turn the frig temp up when your veggies are freezing?
Not exactly sure what you mean by your question above but the setting inside the Samsung was originally set at 38F for the fridge. I had to raise it to 40F to keep some of the veggies from freezing. My freezer setting is -4F and I have not had any problems with having solid ice cream and good solid frozen ice cubes that were NOT in one solid block like you would find in the NotSoCold aka Norcold.

The Samsung has been working great since it got turned on for the first time on April 16, 2012. It doesn't make any noise when running other than when the ice tray decides to drop ice into the bucket or when the defrost cycle is working. I never hear it cycle on or off and I have never heard any cooling fans come on. Basically it sits there and keeps on working great. The NotSoCold has not been missed one second.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:57 AM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
Got it thanks Rich. deSanford
Old 08-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
A question of curiosity to anyone using a residential fridge. When you settle down for the night, if the fridge is being powered through the inverter, does the fridge actually draw much current from the batteries overnight?
I have the same concern, you need to use the generator very often or when you are parking for a few hours?
Thanks
Adaisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Adaisu, When were parked in Quartzsite for two weeks without hookups we ran the generator for three hours in the morning and three hours or so at night. Our five year old batteries went from 13.4 to 12.0 overnight, with the Samsung running at -2 / 34 with no issues.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:08 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Lets figure this out 6 hours at $4.30 per gallon of diesel = $25.80 per day. I might be wrong on the amount of diesel your generator uses per hour. deSanford
Old 08-25-2012, 04:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
Lets figure this out 6 hours at $4.30 per gallon of diesel = $25.80 per day. I might be wrong on the amount of diesel your generator uses per hour. deSanford
Hmmmmmm!

Lets see now - Residential using generator sometimes, and the entire family remain safe and alive. I wonder what that may be worth.

On the other hand --- Norcold not working right, fire hazard, I wonder how long it takes for a Norcold fire to burn down a 40 ft motorhome......

Me thinks that my, and family safety, far outweigh the Norcold considerations..... Thanks for your concern however.

Oh yes - for the ones worried about keeping things cold while traveling ---- here is my personal experience:

1 - Norcold would "Never" stay running on gas - had it worked on so many times they got tired of seeing me coming in. So - in order to have that thing work I had to turn on generator and run it on electric ----- Hmmmm

2 - Fact is ----- 99 % of the time we are on the road we turn on the generator because we either desire to be A-kept cool by the roof AC units doing their job; or B-kept warm by the roof AC units working in the heat pump mode and keep us nice and toasty.....

We rarely travel anywhere unless we are doing either A - or B.

You all do what "you" feel is the best for you.

God Bless

Bill
Sepisllib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
We just turn on the inverter while traveling and it powers the fridge. It is great we have different options to use for keeping our food cool. We just happen to prefer the residential. By the way when our Norcold was removed there were two burn discolorations on the luan where the Norcold vented when burning lp
conmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #41

I doubt the 6 hours running were just for the Fridge. Unless one lives like a Monk there are a ton of things that use power: Air Conditioning, water pump, TV And satellite, lights, etc. Drifter, pls. explain.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:49 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
I have the same MH as Drifter, last year at Quartzsite, I ran my generator about the same as Drifter, when I fuel up on the wayout of town, I figured my generator was using way less than 1/2 gallon per hour, we didn't need A/C that time of year, just satellite, lights and refers.

Dennis
DennisZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
norcold