Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2017, 11:51 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Replacing Onan generator exhaust pipe?

My generator exhaust pipe is completely missing and I need some help.
Has anyone replaced their Onan generator exhaust pipe?

The Onan install manual says to use 1 3/8” ID exhaust pipe and it can exit from side, rear or bottom. Does the Monaco installation route the exhaust pipe out the bottom, rear, or the passenger side of the generator housing?

My generator is on a front power slide, so I understand the exhaust pipe needs to be attached to the generator slide only so it can move forward and back.

I could really use a few pictures of where it exits the generator compartment and how it’s routed?
Thanks
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2017, 03:21 PM   #2

Good afternoon Vito.a; Sorry I don't have any pictures, still have a dumb phone, but I just went out and looked under my 7.5 diesel gen in my 01 Windsor. Not sure if you have the 7.5K or the 10K model. From what I see on mine, there is a small section that has a flange that is bolted to the bottom of the gen. muffler. That small section comes down, not much, and turns 90 degrees to go out of the rear of the gen. housing. At the point where that small piece exits the rear of the gen. housing is where the exhaust pipe attaches. The exhaust pipe where it attaches to the smaller section,slips over the smaller section and is attached with a clamp, now turns 90 degrees toward the drivers side of the coach and continues over and down to exit under the support that is attached to the gen. frame to support the pipe. I hope this makes sense. The exhaust pipe is all one piece after it attaches to that small section from the muffler. I hope someone can send you a picture. If you have a 10K gen., I don't know if it is the same as the 7.5K. Hope this info helps.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	Onan exhaust.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	170445 From the Onan 10k manual
Old 07-28-2017, 07:18 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
My 12.5 Onan pipe exits the rear of the generator with a 90 towards the roadside then a 90 straight down then a 90 to the roadside exiting about an inch forward of the wheelwell opening.

The distance of the first elbow from the generator is determined by where it exits at the wheelwell opening
Old 07-28-2017, 08:01 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I only have short 4-6" pipe exiting the rear of the compartment at a slight angle towards the drivers side. Looks like #20 in the parts diagram.
I'm thinking of using a piece of conduit to make a tailpipe template.
There are also remnants of a muffler hanger on the drivers side of the generator slide.

It also appears that one of the ground cables is not connected.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Generator exhaust.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	170592  
Old 07-30-2017, 05:10 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I found this Onan exhaust pipe kit on Amazon. It says it's 1 3/8", but I'm not sure if 22" is long enough?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFAUQ68...=32KSGI9ODYMBD
Old 07-30-2017, 07:19 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
From the far side of the 90 degree elbow, to the outlet, mine measures 48"
Old 07-30-2017, 08:05 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
go to any mom and pop muffler shop to get an extension to exit in front of the drivers side tire allowing for the slide, of course

I added this for bling.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the length Randy.
JohnBoy, yes I asked. They got out their big book and started looking for the instruction template. Of course it doesn't exist.
If I can make a template they will bend it to match, but not guarantee anything.

Can someone roll their generator out and snap a picture of the exhaust from underneath?
Old 07-31-2017, 06:32 AM   #10

Vito,

I will try to do this today for you sir.

can you give me a cell and i will text photos? that is pretty quick and easy. will take a bit longer for me to load on the computer and go through the steps to post it.
Let me know.

RK
Rusty Kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:44 AM   #11

Here are a few of mine Vito, didn't roll it out cause I'm too lazy to pull the bra... hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Phone 9.20.16 001.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	170894   Click image for larger version

Name:	Phone 9.20.16 002.jpg
Views:	775
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	170895  

Name:	Phone 9.20.16 004.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	170896  
Old 07-31-2017, 04:19 PM   #12

Replacing Onan generator exhaust pipe?

A couple of years back, I ran over something that took out the exhaust pipe for the Onan. I made a wooden template from some plywood and took it to a local muffler shop. It fit perfectly. Conduit might .be a better idea.

Dick L. '04 Imperial
RCLImperial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
It has taken me a while, but my Onan exhaust is almost complete. I bought a new Onan straight head pipe (#20 in RobRoys diagram) and shortened it with a hack saw.

I also purchased a 60” length of 1 ½” heavy wall stainless exhaust pipe on eBay (only $36).
1 1/2" Stainless Steel Exhaust Straight Tubing - 1.5" Outside Diameter - 5' Long
Then the problem was finding someone to bend it. The third muffler shop I tried (D&D Muffler) had a very nice hydraulic mandrel bending tool with 1 ½” dies. They use this bender for roll bars.
Thanks to all of you, I had a sketch with lengths and bends.There are basically three 90 degree bends in the Monaco application. Chip at D&D bent it for me and offered a few suggestions. I installed the newly bent pipe and had to drive back once for some adjustments (it was too close to the front tire). Chip added a couple degrees to one of the bends and this time it fits great. I added a new muffler hanger and a new U-bolt clamp where it attaches to the generator. This combination should last a very long time.
I just wish my Aqua Hot tail pipe was this nice!
I’ve ordered a short chrome tailpipe extension to finish it off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gen exhaust pipe bent.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	214.5 KB
ID:	178894  
Old 10-05-2017, 07:35 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Nice!

Tags
generator, onan