Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2017, 04:29 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyTools View Post
YC1 - where would I source a new Pittman Arm for that?

When I talked to Sheppard to verify my gearbox part number, he mentioned that one character in the number referenced that the gearbox originally was supplied to Monaco with an arm, but they don't do that anymore.
YC1 is talking about a Sheppard to TRW swap and not the use of the tool to remove the Sheppard Pittman arm. I would not attempt to remove the Sheppard Pittman arm in the field. Either get a rebuild from Weller and do a direct replacement or swap to a TRW. Swapping to the the TRW requires drilling a large hole for the adjustment screw and replacing the Pittman arm.

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2017, 05:07 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Uh-oh, well that changes things a bit. I've followed you guys for years on here, and know that what y'all say is 'what it is'.

I was trying to get a replacement box, and possibly pittman arm (so I don't have to remove this one), and just do an outright immediate field-swap while lying in the sand. Then, sometime later either get my original box/arm rebuilt/reinstalled or have it as a spare.

That's why I was asking about sourcing a new arm. Your comments are causing me to re-think this, and go back to making it a 2-step project. I do like the idea of having Weller/Redhead reman my original box (I know this one works), but it puts me at the mercy of a much larger weather-window here.
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:38 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Uh-oh, well that changes things a bit. I've followed you guys for years on here, and know that what y'all say is 'what it is'.

I was trying to get a replacement box, and possibly pittman arm (so I don't have to remove this one), and just do an outright immediate field-swap while lying in the sand. Then, sometime later either get my original box/arm rebuilt/reinstalled or have it as a spare.

That's why I was asking about sourcing a new arm. Your comments are causing me to re-think this, and go back to making it a 2-step project. I do like the idea of having Weller/Redhead reman my original box (I know this one works), but it puts me at the mercy of a much larger weather-window here.
That is what I was trying to explain. I did my, the, first swap in the dirt at a storage facility.

If you can get the correct TRW steering gear and TRW pitman arm from Weller, usually easy, and the longer mounting bolts it does not have to be a 2 step process. A new Sheppard pitman arm will cost about the same as the new TRW pitman arm Weller would provide. You have to remove and replace a steering gear, brand does not matter as the steps are the same, so you can take the opportunity to install a TRW or if you make it a 2 step $$$ process, twice the work with the same result.

Again if all the parts were at your feet, Sheppard or TRW, the time to do the work would be the same and the only difference is longer mounting bolts and maybe an adjustment access hole depending if your steering gear is mounted with the pitman arm facing outboard or inboard.

NO ALIGNMENT necessary for a steering gear sway, regardless of which one you choose. I had to put this in here because some shops seem to think it is. You are NOT changing the relationship of the tires to each other or the coach.

We just had this same situation at the 2017 Yahoo Monaco rally in Tampa. Bad sector shaft seal leak, end result a few more dollars spend and a TRW now resides in the coach. I saw the owner at the 2017 HR MS in Goshen a few months later and he was happy with the results.

If you need to find out which Sheppard you have look on the flat surface next to the pitman arm mounting. You might need a good mirror.

Again not trying to sway you, just the facts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_ff6.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	175242  
CrazyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:03 AM   #18
YC1

I was hoping Craig would come along soon.

He is one of the experts here.

Installing a pitman arm on a new TRW was a walk in the park. No special tools needed.

Craig, I cant remember but can the TRW be mounted without drilling the large hole, just as a temporary install. What I mean is, having to do this in the dirt without a strong drill, could it be done most times without the adjustment hole?

I'm still a bit stiff and sore so don't want to climb under mine to check and know you see these things in your sleep.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 08:31 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post
I was hoping Craig would come along soon.

He is one of the experts here.

Installing a pitman arm on a new TRW was a walk in the park. No special tools needed.

Craig, I cant remember but can the TRW be mounted without drilling the large hole, just as a temporary install. What I mean is, having to do this in the dirt without a strong drill, could it be done most times without the adjustment hole?

I'm still a bit stiff and sore so don't want to climb under mine to check and know you see these things in your sleep.
Myron,

If the pitman arm on the Sheppard swapping to a TRW is outboard and the steering gear is mounted with no spacers on the coach then the adjustment hole must be drilled. The stem of the adjustment screw on the TRW hit my mounting plate. If you were spot on with a template you could drill a 3/8" or 1/2" hole and it would work. Adjustment maybe a bit harder later, as would drilling a larger hole later. You usually drill a pilot hole for the metal hole saw anyway but most of those are 1/4".

RUSTYTOOLS There are even cases where longer mounting bolts are not needed.

I would need a picture of the coach involved to give the owner more info but yes after being under more than 250 coaches and adjusting about 100 of them I do see steering gears in my sleep

Cheers

Craig
Old 09-09-2017, 01:30 PM   #20

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
I also replaced my Sheppard from Weller in Tampa. Did it myself. Used a floor jack. Heavy, yes. A few cuss words, yes. Took more than a couple hours but I got a good replacement gear box. No play. Then went to Josam in Orlando and had an alignment done and gear box check. all was good.
67fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:17 PM   #21

I have a 2005 Windsor with a trw gear box and it wonders all over the road and the steering is tight! Looks like a monowatts bars are next!
mydogmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 01:26 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to 67fisher Send a message via MSN to 67fisher Send a message via Yahoo to 67fisher
About the wandering, I read in this forum somewhere that one owner had the front axle weighed and determined that the front shocks he had were not strong enough to handle the weight so he called someone and found the correct shocks and completely stopped the wandering. I'm going to get my rig weighed again and check this out.
67fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Well, I should probably close-out my participation in this thread.

Because I wasn't able to move the coach in advance of hurricane irma (I refuse to give it the status of a capital "I") hitting the middle Keys, I am now faced with a drowned coach. Water was up almost to the top of the wheel-wells, likely destroying the chassis computers as well as related mechanics/electronics. Waiting on the dreaded news from the insurance adjuster now.

Thanks for all that had helped me and chimed-in while I was planning the gearbox swap.

"To our Endeavor... Thank you for so many years of fun, enjoyment and pleasure, may you now rest in peace"
RustyTools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:

Because I wasn't able to move the coach in advance of hurricane irma (I refuse to give it the status of a capital "I") hitting the middle Keys, I am now faced with a drowned coach. Water was up almost to the top of the wheel-wells, likely destroying the chassis computers as well as related mechanics/electronics. Waiting on the dreaded news from the insurance adjuster now.

Thanks for all that had helped me and chimed-in while I was planning the gearbox swap.

"To our Endeavor... Thank you for so many years of fun, enjoyment and pleasure, may you now rest in peace"
Sorry to hear that. Good luck with the insurance company.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:08 AM   #25

Ain't possible

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67fisher View Post
About the wandering, I read in this forum somewhere that one owner had the front axle weighed and determined that the front shocks he had were not strong enough to handle the weight so he called someone and found the correct shocks and completely stopped the wandering. I'm going to get my rig weighed again and check this out.
NO shock ever cured a wandering problem, except between the ears of the person who paid for them. Shocks can only work while they are being expanded and compressed. When traveling down a smooth, straight Interstate, the shocks are barely moving. If your coach wanders, completely REMOVE all four front shocks and drive it again on that SAME smooth, straight stretch of road. You will notice NO difference.

Shocks curing ANYTHING about tracking (not HANDLING) issues is one of the great myths and sacred cows of the Monaco group.

Neither is it possible for ANY shock to make your coach ride SMOOTHER, unless you switch to a shock with LESS rebound control. I run Monroe's (which are "mushy" shocks) because I prefer the smooth ride over harsh rebound control. Never again will I spend money for high-dollar shocks.
Vanwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 01:51 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanwill View Post
NO shock ever cured a wandering problem, except between the ears of the person who paid for them. Shocks can only work while they are being expanded and compressed. When traveling down a smooth, straight Interstate, the shocks are barely moving. If your coach wanders, completely REMOVE all four front shocks and drive it again on that SAME smooth, straight stretch of road. You will notice NO difference.

Shocks curing ANYTHING about tracking (not HANDLING) issues is one of the great myths and sacred cows of the Monaco group.

Neither is it possible for ANY shock to make your coach ride SMOOTHER, unless you switch to a shock with LESS rebound control. I run Monroe's (which are "mushy" shocks) because I prefer the smooth ride over harsh rebound control. Never again will I spend money for high-dollar shocks.

AMEN!!!!

Bob
nodine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:09 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

SORRY to hear about your coach
Old 09-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #28

Gents:

Does anyone have Craig F.'s personal email address? He has done the Shepard to TRW steering box swap. I am about to change my Shepard steering box to a TRW and Craig has info. on same. I can be reached at jellison 76@aol.com. Jerry Ellison
jellison76 is offline   Reply With Quote