RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Monaco Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2015, 04:13 PM   #1

Replacing shower faucet in Diplomat w/rear bath

Well, I have Googled, Binged and Yahooed to no end on this one. I have a 2004 Diplomat DST (1.5 bath unit) with the rear bath. It appears the faucet is leaking behind the shower so I need to repair/replace it.

I have found the small access panel in the side bay where I can see the "T" in the tubing going up to the faucet, but it is not clear I can get my hand up in there to loosen things and take the hold one out. Just wondering if there is any trick to this.

The faucet is against the outside wall and the shower/tub is one piece so there is no other way to get to it that I can see. I have emailed Monaco to see what they suggest. Surely someone else has been down this road...

Replies suggesting I go Google something will not be appreciated!

tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2015, 06:50 PM   #2

No leaks yet, but to prepare for future needs, I have looked in that access port. Not much room but if you have a lot of patience and are used to working upside down you should be able to remove the faucet. A under counter faucet wrench would certainly be a necessary tool to make the job easier. Also making the opening larger might provide better access/visibility. I had a cracked fitting on my bathroom sink faucet so if you can remove the water connections and take a closer look I would check them first. They can usually be turned off by hand.

Old 02-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlou View Post
No leaks yet, but to prepare for future needs, I have looked in that access port. Not much room but if you have a lot of patience and are used to working upside down you should be able to remove the faucet. A under counter faucet wrench would certainly be a necessary tool to make the job easier. Also making the opening larger might provide better access/visibility. I had a cracked fitting on my bathroom sink faucet so if you can remove the water connections and take a closer look I would check them first. They can usually be turned off by hand.
What was most shocking is where the leak manifested itself - on the carpet to the RIGHT of the bedroom slide. At first I thought it was related to my when my Norcold died - it is in the cabinet right there. Then I assumed the BR slide was leaking, but couldn't figure out where. Never would have dreamed it was coming from the shower faucet, flowing along the wall for about 10 feet before being noticed.

I started taking the base of the slide apart to try to find the leak. It was not until I noticed a wet spot under where the leveling jack pump is that it hit me what was going on!
Old 02-13-2015, 07:50 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I am interested in what you find out regarding changing the shower faucet. I have the same floor plan and replacing the gold faucet is on my list of things to do.
Old 02-13-2015, 09:24 AM   #5

Do you have the second furnace under the refrigerator? If you do remove the access door and check the water feed to the Ice Maker. Mine comes through the floor there and there is a shut off valve there also. Those plastic lines can develop leaks.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:40 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by justlou View Post
Do you have the second furnace under the refrigerator? If you do remove the access door and check the water feed to the Ice Maker. Mine comes through the floor there and there is a shut off valve there also. Those plastic lines can develop leaks.
Checked that already. No moisture under the fridge. It's definitely the shower faucet. Just need to figure out the best approach replace it.
Old 02-16-2015, 05:31 AM   #7

Have you checked access from under your coach? I was going to check this weekend, but had my grandson for the weekend. Baby sitting is a full time job with him! If you have not checked access, I will attempt it Wed or Thursday after the rain has moved out.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road King View Post
Have you checked access from under your coach? I was going to check this weekend, but had my grandson for the weekend. Baby sitting is a full time job with him! If you have not checked access, I will attempt it Wed or Thursday after the rain has moved out.
Yes, as I mentioned, there is a small access panel in the ceiling of the bay where the air dryer is. When I first poked my head under there and peered up, it looked pretty hopeless. All you see are the water lines, the drain pipe and the gas line going to the water heater. Looks pretty hopeless.

This morning I crawled further under and from a different angle it actually looks doable, but still some need for contortions to get positioned to get a hand up in there. From this view, hard to tell if the leak is coming from just up where the faucet is connected and running down the water lines, or if the t-fittings on the water line might be leaking. Will just have to inspect more closely once I get into the replacement.

Old 02-16-2015, 04:16 PM   #9

Oh my! Keep us posted on your progress. Good luck.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:06 AM   #10

Good morning, making any progress on replacing the shower faucet?
Old 02-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #11

This might not describe your situation, but...Can you see enough of the faucet to see if it is leaking around the shaft?. I had a main household water line shutoff leaking slightly around the shaft, and a plumber told me to just tighten the big nut around the shaft. It worked, and was much easier than replacing the faucet. A year later, while working on a household toilet, the same sort of leak appeared on the shut off valve and a half turn tightening of the packing nut cured the problem.
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:57 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I agree with George......first tighten the white (whatever you call it at the end of the red and blue plastic line). Then apply water pressure and see if you stopped the leak. Sanford
deSanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by deSanford View Post
I agree with George......first tighten the white (whatever you call it at the end of the red and blue plastic line). Then apply water pressure and see if you stopped the leak. Sanford
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have been wanting to replace the faucet for some time anyway. A new one is on order and I have purchased new fittings locally. I should have an update within the week.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #14

The new faucet arrived today, so I got started on the project. Takes a bit of contortion and is not easy, but it is doable. I will post a full report when I am done.

I got the old faucet out and the new one into position. Got the cold water reconnected, but just could not get the hot fitting to thread. If you look at my pic above you can see why - the red tubing goes up at an angle. So it seems that fitting has had strain on it since new. Amazing it took it so long to fail.

I'll work on the water line tomorrow. Now, where is my Advil? I KNOW I am going to be sore!

BTW, I learned that there is another access panel in the bay where the power cord is - disguised with a bay light mounted on it. That gives access to the drain and trap.

Tags
shower